2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

On 1/27/2021 at 12:41 PM, Prefrontalvortex said:

I wish they were more clear than this. It sounds like they did send out all the interview invites, since they said the timeline for the application process is correct. The fact that they said applications are held on to makes me believe there’s a chance that a few additional people may get an interview? I don’t want to get my hopes up though. 

Wait!!! I did not receive that.. Was this emailed??? AAAAAHHHHHHH

7 minutes ago, Anxiously Hopeful said:

Wait!!! I did not receive that.. Was this emailed??? AAAAAHHHHHHH

I emailed them for a second update and they replied with that ambiguous response a week later. Seems to imply the possibility of a waitlist. All rejections seem to come out in mid-March based on last year's results.

34 minutes ago, Hyunwoo said:

Surprised that they still give interview offers. Thanks for sharing your info. Good luck!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was an admission offer, not an interview offer. 

15 hours ago, CoOCoOCoO said:

Just got an offer from Harvard!!! So excited!!! Would love to help in turns of tips about interviews!!

Congrats on the offer! Would love to hear about any tips in general you would give or any questions that were often asked by your interviewers/wish you would have given more thought to.

Could you actually go into more detail about the discussion with the interviewer whose research you discussed extensively? Did you just interject every now and then with a question/opinion or go about it another way?

I may be overthinking things and will probably be fine but am currently at a well known institution in east Asia - BS is from a U.S. institution- doing a master's and gave my defense presentation yesterday actually. The program is technically in English but it's been a while since I've had a full speed conversation in English so I might be rusty idk. Will have interviews the first two weekends of February.

8 hours ago, cantbelieveitsnotbutter said:

Congrats on the offer! Would love to hear about any tips in general you would give or any questions that were often asked by your interviewers/wish you would have given more thought to.

Could you actually go into more detail about the discussion with the interviewer whose research you discussed extensively? Did you just interject every now and then with a question/opinion or go about it another way?

I may be overthinking things and will probably be fine but am currently at a well known institution in east Asia - BS is from a U.S. institution- doing a master's and gave my defense presentation yesterday actually. The program is technically in English but it's been a while since I've had a full speed conversation in English so I might be rusty idk. Will have interviews the first two weekends of February.

I think I would recommend really spend time practicing how you introduce your research, from bigger picture to aims to results and significance, and make sure to prepare two versions of diff length so that you can be more flexible (I prepared a shorter elevator pitch like version and a longer detail explanation).

And don't be nervous!!! For my interviews, mostly I spent 20-25 mins talking about my research projects, so you actually don't have that much time discussing their research. make sure you understand what they do in general, and just treated as a normal casual conversation (i.e. maybe prepare some questions that you're genuinely curious about)!! 

I'm also an international student so no worries!! Getting an interview offer means you're great candidate so no need to be nervous~

25 minutes ago, loci_thepoki said:

Looking to a get a few different perspectives on this, maybe from some older grad students as well if they are here. When choosing a program, how much weight should be given to the prestige/ranking of the program (not the university) if the ultimate goal is to hopefully end up in academia?

I'm not a current grad student, but literally everyone (faculty, postdocs, students) has told me that the number one priority should be choosing a school that has at least a few labs you're really interested in. Prestige will not get you a postdoc, your performance in grad school will. My current PI went to a grad school that is ranked lower than #200 but did her post doc at a top ranked ivy. 

So, it's important that the work you'll be doing is inspiring to you. Grad school is very long. Where do you see yourself happy and successful? 

The one aspect that prestige may affect is funding, but many schools have ample funding despite being "lower ranked." I wouldn't let USNews decide for you.

7 minutes ago, canigetuhhhhhhhanswerpls said:

I'm not a current grad student, but literally everyone (faculty, postdocs, students) has told me that the number one priority should be choosing a school that has at least a few labs you're really interested in. Prestige will not get you a postdoc, your performance in grad school will. My current PI went to a grad school that is ranked lower than #200 but did her post doc at a top ranked ivy. 

So, it's important that the work you'll be doing is inspiring to you. Grad school is very long. Where do you see yourself happy and successful? 

The one aspect that prestige may affect is funding, but many schools have ample funding despite being "lower ranked." I wouldn't let USNews decide for you.

I appreciate your very thoughtful answer. Thank you!!! 

6 minutes ago, loci_thepoki said:

I appreciate your very thoughtful answer. Thank you!!! 

No problem I should add: a general ranking/prestige may not be reflected on your specific field of interest. For example, let's say you're interested in neurodegeneration.  A "lower ranked" school may have an entire center dedicated to neurodegenerative diseases and have a strong connection with a great nearby hospital, while a higher ranked school may put less emphasis on that topic of interest. Something to consider.

On 1/29/2021 at 4:44 PM, canigetuhhhhhhhanswerpls said:

This is exactly the answer I'd give (current student). Focus on the lab, not the institution. It will matter wayyyy more who you worked with/what you accomplished than where you did it. Choose faculty who will be good mentors and who have the resources for you to do good science. Doesn't matter which institution they're at, matters what you can do in the lab. 

On 2/14/2020 at 12:43 PM, LilAstro said:

I applied this round (for 2020 fall admissions) good luck you guys! Also just want to throw this out there - Drexel's College of Medicine is a good program that is often overlooked! Check it out if you want to and again good luck to you all! ❤️

Hey I just wanted to let you know this post is what made me go look at Drexel for the first time then decide to apply. I was trying to remember where I had seen that original suggestion. I interviewed with them a couple weeks ago and now am waiting for a decision! So, thanks again for posting this, may have not ended up on my radar otherwise.

1 hour ago, actionpotential said:

Hey I just wanted to let you know this post is what made me go look at Drexel for the first time then decide to apply. I was trying to remember where I had seen that original suggestion. I interviewed with them a couple weeks ago and now am waiting for a decision! So, thanks again for posting this, may have not ended up on my radar otherwise.

As yay! That makes me super happy! Good luck!!!