Hi Everyone, 

I have been an active member of this forum for a while now. It has helped me through the application process This cycle and has tormented me with each interview results coming in that I didn’t get lol.

Regardless, I made it this application cycle and after 21 applications, 4 interviews (I had 9 but went to 4) and 4 offers, I’ve made my decision!!!!

Well that was two weeks ago and now I’m just sitting here waiting. Now what do I do?

To my fellow admitted people, what are you doing to pass the time lol?

To anyone in a clinical or counseling psychology Ph.D program, do you have any advice on what I should do to prepare myself for the doctoral grind. General or detailed answers are welcomed.

thanks you guys!

I haven't decided what school yet but I do know I will be attending a Ph.D. program this fall!

I've been traveling as much as my full-time job allows. working on some passion projects (YouTube and blogging), and reading books for fun (I'm a sucker for YA fiction). As well, I just preordered the Animal Crossing Nintendo Switch, so I intend on wasting as much time as possible playing that and Stardew Valley.

Basically, I'm going to do very little to prepare myself for grad school besides my duties in my research lab that I volunteer/work in part-time. I just want to enjoy my time off and live as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, Psychological Yam said:

I haven't decided what school yet but I do know I will be attending a Ph.D. program this fall!

I've been traveling as much as my full-time job allows. working on some passion projects (YouTube and blogging), and reading books for fun (I'm a sucker for YA fiction). As well, I just preordered the Animal Crossing Nintendo Switch, so I intend on wasting as much time as possible playing that and Stardew Valley.

Basically, I'm going to do very little to prepare myself for grad school besides my duties in my research lab that I volunteer/work in part-time. I just want to enjoy my time off and live as much as possible.

I also can't wait for Animal Crossing!!

Just now, Psychological Yam said:

Love that answer! This has been the oddest feeling for me. PhD has been my goal for so long and it is what I think about 90% of the time... now my brain is confused on what to do everyday if I’m not doing research or applying for programs lol

I think my goal until I leave to my program will be giving my wife everything she wants. She has been such a trooper through all the pain of applying and traveling for schools. Her support has been everything to me and I don’t want that to go unnoticed. I got us tickets to a concert and hopefully I can take her on a little vacation lol

Congrats guys! 

Don’t do more work than you have to do for your job or classes. Don’t try to pre-study, don’t brush up on stats, don’t try to memorize your new advisor’s entire body of work... there’s no way to really prepare for grad school and you’ll just burn out. You have finally reached your goal and are about to be very stressed and poor for 5+ years, so now is the time to relax. I really regret not taking the time to travel or do more fun things before I started my PhD. 

Also in the attending-but-haven't-formally-accepted-any-offers boat. I'm winding down things at my current position and making sure things are documented so they don't fall apart when I leave my lab manager post. 

Somehow I didn't get the relax memo though and I'm working on a manuscript haha. (I don't want a big gap on my CV and I enjoy the work--hence applying for PhD).

32 minutes ago, Modulus said:

Also in the attending-but-haven't-formally-accepted-any-offers boat. I'm winding down things at my current position and making sure things are documented so they don't fall apart when I leave my lab manager post. 

Somehow I didn't get the relax memo though and I'm working on a manuscript haha. (I don't want a big gap on my CV and I enjoy the work--hence applying for PhD).

Are you waiting for funding info as well?

1 minute ago, Itzik said:

Are you waiting for funding info as well?

I'm currently waiting on funding information as well and I don't know why but it is making me anxious all over again. I had a nightmare I wouldn't receive any funding at all and I was somehow required to pay for the tuition myself. Needless to say, I need to do something fun that will get my mind off of all of this. I feel relieved and ecstatic that I was admitted into one of my top 3 choices, however, I still feel the slightest bit of anxiety. I hope you're all doing better than me :)

2 minutes ago, joanneprada said:

I'm currently waiting on funding information as well and I don't know why but it is making me anxious all over again. I had a nightmare I wouldn't receive any funding at all and I was somehow required to pay for the tuition myself. Needless to say, I need to do something fun that will get my mind off of all of this. I feel relieved and ecstatic that I was admitted into one of my top 3 choices, however, I still feel the slightest bit of anxiety. I hope you're all doing better than me :)

We aren’t lmao I held three offers and the POIs that chose me all knew each other. I kept feeling the longer I wait, they might make the decision for me or worse, all might pull their offers and tell me to F*ck off hahaha. Clearly my anxiety got the best of me.

But honestly I am kind of jealous of you being able to hold out till you got the funding information. I made my decision based on fit and knowing the programs history of full funding all its prior students. But you never know how the next year will go. I guess I am putting a lot of trust in the program ??‍♂️

RELAX. Go on vacation!! Soak in this amazing feeling. Do minimal work until you start your program. It’s impossible to understand the amount of work a phd is going to be and you’ll really miss this time of not having any huge stressors/responsibilities. 

I left my post bac two months before I had to move for my program and went to California and Hawaii. I also read a lot of fiction books. 

Also, congrats everyone! You DID IT!! 

I relate to this topic so much, my supervisor offered me an opportunity to start collaboration on a publication before grad school and I SOOOOO want to start but at the same time Im afraid to burn out so I'm trying to forego working as much as possible before grad school. But at the same time I spent so many years working for this goal and now it's just over? I need to spend some time building hobbies but I have no idea what to do... Any ideas? 

For the next 5 or 6 years, you'll have plennnty of time to do research, sharpen up or learn research related skills. What you won't get is this golden opportunity to really relax and have fun without feeling guilty about all the pending, piling workload. So, paleesssee, guys, take time out to celebrate and (shamelessly) pursue your fun-goals. You have definitely earned it.

All these conversations about relaxing is making me search for vacation spots lmao. I’m for sure gonna soak in some sun and fun once my anxiety chills out. I also think a good idea is vacation at the city/state your moving to. I live in CA and will be moving to Kansas so I plan to visit KS and get a hotel in Kansas City and have some exploring fun

6 hours ago, PsychPhdBound said:

My husband and I are also trying to figure out where we should go on vacation before making the move! We're currently trying to decide between relaxing beach or exciting adventure (I'm leaning more towards adventure ?).

Better yet, pick somewhere where you can do both!

I am also going to plan a trip. I wish I had more vacation days!!

Edited by springxsummer

Just booked 3 trips! One to NYC to check out my new city for the first time next week, a trip with my siblings to Miami where one of them lives, and the other to Vegas for a week in July! I’m 22 and have never lived outside of my state for more than 3 months. Really trying to spend as much time with my family as possible. 

So yeah, I got a little too excited after my acceptance and decided to drain my bank account because “self care” lol. Oh well, YOLO. 

Edited by Justice4All

After I defend my master's thesis I plan on not touching anything psych related until August ?. I'm also excited for Animal crossing, a trip planned to Europe in May, and a music festival in June. Other than that going to be spending alot of time outside enjoying the New England summer before I spend my summers in TX for the next 4+ years.

One thing (academic wise) I want to do Now that I’m in the in between period is create a framework of the studies done in my research field (masculinity). I want to try to get access to some articles I always wanted to have during my thesis that can really paint the picture of the field. In addition, my new Mentor has a secondary research interest that I’m not too well versed in. I obtain 5 articles revolving around that area and I’ll prob read them through the next couple months. I know vacation and mental relaxation sounds great but my brain needs to work too lol

Hi! I am trying to figure out what to do with my summer before I start and would love to hear what other people are thinking about doing or have done. I graduate in May and the program starts in August so I have a good chunk of time and should probably do something. I know my dad is pushing waitressing but I am honestly not sure if I could do it again because it was so exhausting and I kind of wanted this to be a nice summer of freedom and relaxation with more flexibility to travel. 

2 hours ago, ballostress said:

Hi! I am trying to figure out what to do with my summer before I start and would love to hear what other people are thinking about doing or have done. I graduate in May and the program starts in August so I have a good chunk of time and should probably do something. I know my dad is pushing waitressing but I am honestly not sure if I could do it again because it was so exhausting and I kind of wanted this to be a nice summer of freedom and relaxation with more flexibility to travel. 

If I were you I'd plan a trip for those two months!! 

I unfortunately will be working. I'm very tempted to quit and travel, but I also want to have savings for the next few years of minimal income... but, I'll be planning a shorter trip in May, and lots of weekend getaways and road trips. I also plan to cut back on my extra-curricular work as much as I can and focus on hobby stuff life reading and baking, and preparing myself to move.

I will still be working in order to have a little nest egg of savings but I plan to attend a music festival, maybe go to Vegas and take advantage of Cali weather before moving back to the East Coast. 

I think giving your brain a mental rest prior to school is necessary because trust me once classes start that's it lol.

Working on my physical and mental health which I neglected last year to focus on research (needless to say- it's not worth it!).

I'll also be doing a mix of TAing, RAing, volunteering, and distracting my friends (who are already doing Masters/PhDs) at my current uni haha. But the workload should be pretty light. Not sure about you all, but I'm pretty lazy about preparing for the program (reading papers, brushing up on techniques, etc). Sounds like current students recommend against this?

In June I'm planning a month-long trip to Melbourne to do some volunteer work for my advisor's collaborator. I love the city and feel like the experience will be very informative for the topics and projects I want to pursue during my PhD ?