Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Just now, ResilientQueen said:

Does anyone know if programs send interview invites over the weekend? Monday is MLK Jr. Day but I’m hoping we don’t have to wait until Tuesday to start hearing again ?

I've gotten one on a Saturday night and I've heard similar things from other people so it is possible! I'm trying not to check on the weekends though just to give myself a break

10 minutes ago, ResilientQueen said:

Does anyone know if programs send interview invites over the weekend? Monday is MLK Jr. Day but I’m hoping we don’t have to wait until Tuesday to start hearing again ?

I got two last Sunday and was grateful but very surprised. Definitely possible!

1) Has anyone heard from South Alabama or Suffolk yet? I saw a few people comment a while ago about USA, but I'm getting antsy...

2) Does anyone else see the highly qualified people getting rejected and worry they are severely under qualified... This is my second round applying after getting differed to a MA program in 2019, and I'm beginning to worry the debt and extra degree wasn't worth it... 

1 minute ago, Desperate13 said:

1) Has anyone heard from South Alabama or Suffolk yet? I saw a few people comment a while ago about USA, but I'm getting antsy...

2) Does anyone else see the highly qualified people getting rejected and worry they are severely under qualified... This is my second round applying after getting differed to a MA program in 2019, and I'm beginning to worry the debt and extra degree wasn't worth it... 

The recent UT Southwestern poster’s (on the results page) rejection was almost certainly due to not submitting GRE scores, and one of the posters on the results page was fake (the one who was posting about ridiculous stats.. then they said they got rejected from MIT, lol) I think this year is especially competitive, but please believe in yourself!!! You will get accepted!!!

Did anyone else start off applications super stoked because they waived the GRE, also secretly hoping no one will apply this year because of COVID (yes, not a smart thought) only to find out that a record number of people are applying and so it's even more competitive this year and the GRE will be back next year, which means you will probably not apply to all schools you wanted to, and now has a borderline mental breakdown. ?

Also did anyone else start off feeling very confident in themselves just to feel like they will get 0 interview invites. I consider myself a somewhat competitive applicant (Masters, 3 years of research experience, 3 years clinical experience, one publication and a bunch in prep) only to feel like it won't mean shit because there's basically about 900 people applying for 9 spots.. (making this last part up but it's probably true).  

Oh the joy.

10 minutes ago, PyschMama said:

Did anyone else start off applications super stoked because they waived the GRE, also secretly hoping no one will apply this year because of COVID (yes, not a smart thought) only to find out that a record number of people are applying and so it's even more competitive this year and the GRE will be back next year, which means you will probably not apply to all schools you wanted to, and now has a borderline mental breakdown. ?

Also did anyone else start off feeling very confident in themselves just to feel like they will get 0 interview invites. I consider myself a somewhat competitive applicant (Masters, 3 years of research experience, 3 years clinical experience, one publication and a bunch in prep) only to feel like it won't mean shit because there's basically about 900 people applying for 9 spots.. (making this last part up but it's probably true).  

Oh the joy.

I was soooo happy that they waived the GRE, then life happened and I decided to take another year off and wait to apply. Now I’m scared! Also that last part is definitely true.... UNC had 980 applications for less than 9 spots! I think I’m a pretty competitive applicant and I have days of thinking “oh I’ll definitely get in somewhere, no question” but then other days of “why should I even bother trying, I don’t stand a chance”. It’s messing with me, lol

Edited by PsychApplicant2

7 minutes ago, PyschMama said:

Oh the joy.

On the same boat as you, my friend! You sound absolutely qualified and deserving of a spot somewhere. It’s been radio silence for me as well and I genuinely thought I would have interviewS plural. ☹️ I’m trying not to lose all hope because I’m hoping a few interviews will go out next week from schools I haven’t seen much about on the results page. Fingers crossed for us both, if I was a PI I’d take ya!!! 

1 hour ago, ResilientQueen said:

On the same boat as you, my friend! You sound absolutely qualified and deserving of a spot somewhere. It’s been radio silence for me as well and I genuinely thought I would have interviewS plural. ☹️ I’m trying not to lose all hope because I’m hoping a few interviews will go out next week from schools I haven’t seen much about on the results page. Fingers crossed for us both, if I was a PI I’d take ya!!! 

Thank you, so sweet of you! Yes, same, I haven't seen much of the schools I have applied to on the results page either so I am still somewhat hopeful but I know I will be most certainly losing it if I don't hear back end of next week either lol. Trying to remind myself that it's totally out of my hands now and I did the best I could but oh man...

So a though on the topic of stress and rejections.

I believe that a major contributing factor to the reason why some of us are having such a hard time is because this - researching, applying, and waiting for programs - has become our identity.

This is years in the making for us. Breathing psychology and grad school aspirations since we declared our majors, all culminating in the do-or-die moment of acceptance...or rejection. If the last several years of your life have been defined by meeting these goals, then getting into a program won't just be about acceptances (or lack thereof). It will become a reckoning, an affirmation or denial of who you are. Self-perceptions are bound to warp in the process.

Clinical psychology has developed such a competitive, crucifying paradigm, one that is on a whole other plane than literally any other type of program. Choosing this path isn't just selecting Challenge Mode for yourself, it's choosing to thread yourself through the eye of a needle.

It's half luck, half wits, but after a certain point it's anyone's game, and a gambling one at that. Of course the pursuit of this becomes so easily all-consuming - after all, it's our future that we're betting. At least it feels that way.

17 minutes ago, ButterflyThoughts said:

I had an informal back in December. I am pretty sure all official invites went out. 

I had an informal back in December as well. I emailed the POI two weeks ago and she stated they are still reviewing apps and that we should hear shortly. Haven't heard back since....

3 hours ago, PyschMama said:

Oh the joy.

Can't tell you how comforted I am to see that others are in the same boat .. I keep seeing first-time applicants, many of whom are still in undergrad, posting about potential next steps if they don't get it and speculating about MAs and getting some research experience to boost their chances. Meanwhile I'm nearly 4 years of research experience + an MA out and haven't had much luck so far. Thank you for being transparent. I think there is truly something to be said for those of us who are feeling discouraged after taking the extra steps just to see that it may not even give us the edge after all. Not trying to be cynical, I truly believe it's a matter of fit and a lot of other factors but just know there are probably a lot of us in this situation and feeling let down !! Appreciate you all x

On 1/15/2021 at 4:23 AM, DrApple said:

I'm wondering if anyone has heard from SUNY Albany?  It looks like their interview is scheduled for 2/27, but I haven't seen any posts on the results page about interviews (unless I missed it). Thanks!

I have, I got a rejection from SUNY Albany for Counseling PhD. Hope that helps!

19 hours ago, rainbow56 said:

Last year with the GRE included I only received 1 invite from a funded program (and it was a lesser known program). This year without the GRE I've received FOUR invites so far all to funded and well known programs.

Screw the GRE ? My hope is that programs realize how useless it can be in determining who the best applicants truly are 

Standardized tests should be abolished

19 hours ago, PyschMama said:

I truly hope so too.. I really wish they would get rid of it entirely. It's such a useless indicator of your success as a grad student.. researcher and clinician. It's also biased and flawed and elitist on top of that.

@EileanDonan @PsychApplicant2 @K3lD1Psych I am a BIPOC male and tended to score badly on the GRE (Verbal & Quantitative combined ~305) despite my 3.8 undergraduate GPA with pre-medicine and engineering courses. Still, I was able to get admitted to the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) PhD Medical/Clinical Psychology program and proceed to ace all my graduate coursework, research, and clinical training. I am now towards the end of my program and am currently interviewing for multiple elite pre-doctoral internships, including a couple of Ivy League’s.

Edited by JoePianist

5 minutes ago, JoePianist said:

I tended to score badly on the GRE (Verbal & Quantitative combined ~305) despite my 3.8 undergraduate GPA with pre-medicine and engineering courses. Still, I was able to get admitted to the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) PhD Medical/Clinical Psychology program and proceed to ace all my graduate coursework, research, and clinical training. I am now interviewing for multiple elite pre-doctoral internships, including a couple of Ivy League’s.

That's great to hear! Gives us some hope during this season of freaking out. Thank you.

26 minutes ago, JoePianist said:

@EileanDonan @PsychApplicant2 @K3lD1Psych I tended to score badly on the GRE (Verbal & Quantitative combined ~305) despite my 3.8 undergraduate GPA with pre-medicine and engineering courses. Still, I was able to get admitted to the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) PhD Medical/Clinical Psychology program and proceed to ace all my graduate coursework, research, and clinical training. I am now towards the end of my program and am currently interviewing for multiple elite pre-doctoral internships, including a couple of Ivy League’s.

Yay! So awesome. Another great example that supports what I'm saying. Thanks for the response and this hope! :)  

Anyone know someone with non traditional background? Looking at these professors, they all got a BS in psych or neuro, a masters in clinical (usually) and a PhD in clinical psych. 

I majored in Bio with some post-bacc RA experience/authorship, stats, cs, and neuro credits— but I’ve also been teaching HS bio for years at this point. I know I have some insight into adolescents and a decent thesis idea because of my experience but out of all the programs I’ve seen, I’ve found only one professor (at Harvard) that was a teacher before getting a PhD. Am I delusional or just rare? 

(I’m first gen too, so that doesn’t help with the imposter syndrome ?)

41 minutes ago, Oxford_comma2 said:

Anyone know someone with non traditional background? Looking at these professors, they all got a BS in psych or neuro, a masters in clinical (usually) and a PhD in clinical psych. 

I majored in Bio with some post-bacc RA experience/authorship, stats, cs, and neuro credits— but I’ve also been teaching HS bio for years at this point. I know I have some insight into adolescents and a decent thesis idea because of my experience but out of all the programs I’ve seen, I’ve found only one professor (at Harvard) that was a teacher before getting a PhD. Am I delusional or just rare? 

(I’m first gen too, so that doesn’t help with the imposter syndrome ?)

I’m also somewhat first gen (depends on the definition but the first to pursue PhD in my family) with a natural sciences degree (literally NO pure psychology coursework, only related courses), but with research experience. I think it’s becoming more common to have non traditional backgrounds from what I’ve heard from through my network, but that probably hasn’t trickled up to the faculty level yet.

18 hours ago, PsychBear92 said:

ME! I have been lurking in the forums and finally made an account. At the risk of sounding like a weirdo, we have a lot of POIs in common. I have emailed MH at Chapel Hill and haven't received a response. I interviewed with him last year at Penn State.

No way - who else did you apply to?  Thanks for your response and wishing you the best! Have you heard anything from MH/Chapel Hill? Please keep me updated! ?

15 hours ago, PyschMama said:

Oh the joy.

I haven't heard back from any schools either and I have a masters, multiple poster presentations (one first author), and a research grant. I only applied to six schools though and a couple haven't given out invites yet, but honestly I think it's not that we are not qualified, it's just that our research interests may not fit as well as we think it does with the faculty. Plus with the amount of people applying this year it's definitely just harder overall and I'm sure there's tons of people they would have loved to give interviews to but decided not to for whatever reason. I also know that some schools on apps will ask where else you're applying, so they may use that as a deduction of whether or not to give you an interview. They may assume that you belong at one of the other schools you listed or may think it's a better spot for you.

Don't feel bad about yourself. You are qualified. And there is no shame in trying again next cycle. I know a few people who are now in PhD programs who applied multiple times. I also plan to try again next cycle if I do not get in anywhere.

By the way, not every school is getting 900 applications. I'm not sure where you applied to, but I spoke with an admissions counselor at one of my prospective programs and he said they have about 150 or so applications. So it's totally possible your odds are a bit better for the programs you chose and you might not even know it.