Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

On 4/22/2021 at 7:59 PM, mriley26 said:

I received an acceptance to Windsor's Regualr Track MSW For Working Professionals at 2:46pm today! I submitted my application April 8th so it was processed pretty quickly!

I have seen a Facebook group for the regular 2 year MSW program - has one been made for the MSWwp?

27 minutes ago, MSW2022 said:

Oh wow that's a fast turnaround. Congratulations!!! Is this for a Jan 2022 start?

Also, if you're comfortable, do you mind sharing your average/experience?

Thank you! ?

I applied for September 2021 in Windsor and January 2022 in Peel. I was accepted for September and my January application is still processing.  

My average for my last two years is an 81.4, stats 92, research methods 88.

My application had 9245 hours of experience. I have worked as a Caseworker at Victim Services for almost 2 years and volunteered there as a Crisis Responder for 10 months.
I have also been working as a PSW for almost 4 years. Other relevant experience include Friendly Visitor through CAS and Volunteer as well as Volunteer Coordinator for Autism Ontario.  
Not sure if these hours ended up counting but I did submit my volunteer position as an Assistant Dance Teacher, Western Foot Patrol, and a paid summer position from high school at a Natural Medicine Office doing research for a newsletter.

I'm not sure if this made a difference in my application but I did include 8 workshops and 16 certificates with my application. Most of them were just Certificates of Achievement. 

29 minutes ago, mriley26 said:

Thank you! ?

I applied for September 2021 in Windsor and January 2022 in Peel. I was accepted for September and my January application is still processing.  

My average for my last two years is an 81.4, stats 92, research methods 88.

My application had 9245 hours of experience. I have worked as a Caseworker at Victim Services for almost 2 years and volunteered there as a Crisis Responder for 10 months.
I have also been working as a PSW for almost 4 years. Other relevant experience include Friendly Visitor through CAS and Volunteer as well as Volunteer Coordinator for Autism Ontario.  
Not sure if these hours ended up counting but I did submit my volunteer position as an Assistant Dance Teacher, Western Foot Patrol, and a paid summer position from high school at a Natural Medicine Office doing research for a newsletter.

I'm not sure if this made a difference in my application but I did include 8 workshops and 16 certificates with my application. Most of them were just Certificates of Achievement. 

Super impressive application! Thank you. I'm thinking to apply for Peel Jan 2022. 

Can I ask, in the professional experience doc did you write paragraphs to describe your experience or just bullet points closer to like in a resume? Did you submit the workshops and certificates in that same document?

Just now, MSW2022 said:

Super impressive application! Thank you. I'm thinking to apply for Peel Jan 2022. 

Can I ask, in the professional experience doc did you write paragraphs to describe your experience or just bullet points closer to like in a resume? Did you submit the workshops and certificates in that same document?

I wrote a small summary paragraph and then point formed my roles and responsibilities. At the bottom of the experience form there is a trainings/workshops section. It is pretty small so I created a document on word listing the certificates.
Since I used more pages than provided and had the word document, I printed everything and scanned it together into one document.

Good luck with your application! Feel free to ask me any questions along the way ?

On 4/20/2021 at 2:06 PM, m.to said:

has anyone on the advanced standing waitlist for U of T heard anything? I know their waitlist is huge so I'm trying to not hold onto any hope but it's impossible aha

Also on the advanced standing waitlist and haven't heard anything! One of my friends was accepted off of the waitlist a week before classes started back in 2019 so I would encourage more patience lol. That's what I keep telling myself. 

On 4/23/2021 at 6:09 AM, Empathymatters said:

Thanks for tagging that post from 2019! I have been trying to decide if I actually want to go to Laurier, as I was really set on getting accepted to U of T but didn't get accepted, so I am wondering if I would like the Laurier program or if I should keep trying to get into U of T! The more information I can find about Laurier's 2 year MSW program, the better.

Congratulations on your acceptance! Laurier is well-regarded in the social work field and one of the few universities in Canada that specialize in clinical practice. As both programs are accredited by CASWE, you will be getting a solid foundation for future social work practice regardless of which university you choose. 

While I do not know your personal career aspirations, I would say that it is important to think about what you would be getting out of UofT's MSW program that you wouldn’t already be getting at Laurier. If you are thinking about a career in academia or if you plan on pursuing a Ph.D. in Social Work, then absolutely, these differences might matter as you would want to work closely with a faculty member whose research interests align with yours.  

However, if you are thinking about working right after graduation, it is arguably more important to tailor your field placements towards your desired area of practice, network with established professionals in the province that you want to practice in, and ensuring that you meet the educational and supervised work experience requirements to be registered as a social worker in the appropriate provincial college/association. 

Hope this helps with making your decision! 

Hello! 
I was accepted to York's Advanced Standing MSW 2021 program. I'm hoping to connect with others that have been accepted! Would anyone be interested in a Facebook group? 

2 minutes ago, ashleyh said:

Hello! 
I was accepted to York's Advanced Standing MSW 2021 program. I'm hoping to connect with others that have been accepted! Would anyone be interested in a Facebook group? 

Hi, 

@fatnrad created a facebook group, York Advanced-Standing stream peeps! It's private but visible Please join us!  Search Facebook for: York University 1-Year MSW - Class of 2022

•  

1 hour ago, cathySW said:

Hi, 

@fatnrad created a facebook group, York Advanced-Standing stream peeps! It's private but visible Please join us!  Search Facebook for: York University 1-Year MSW - Class of 2022

•  

Fantastic! I've requested to join it. 
Thanks so much

On 4/25/2021 at 2:30 AM, olivia473 said:

Does anyone here have some advice about post-degree BSW vs. two year MSW programs? I've been rejected from York's MSW, waitlisted for U of T and was just accepted to York's post degree BSW. Does anyone have some experience with the post degree programs? 

I had this exact same experience two years ago (literally rejected from York's 2-year MSW and waitlisted from U of T) and I loved the post-degree BSW program at York. I absolutely love York's School of Social Work and I felt like the Post-Degree program really provided me with a foundation for grad school. 

On 4/24/2021 at 11:30 PM, olivia473 said:

Does anyone here have some advice about post-degree BSW vs. two year MSW programs? I've been rejected from York's MSW, waitlisted for U of T and was just accepted to York's post degree BSW. Does anyone have some experience with the post degree programs? 

I wrote a couple posts on this, here's the link to them in case it's helpful! Also, I have the impression that some Advanced Standing MSWs are easier to get into than the 2 year programs, especially if you keep your marks high in your BSW.

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/124545-canadian-msw-applicants-2021/?do=findComment&comment=1058841062

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/124545-canadian-msw-applicants-2021/?do=findComment&comment=1058843014

Edited by afk612

10 hours ago, tjo said:

I had this exact same experience two years ago (literally rejected from York's 2-year MSW and waitlisted from U of T) and I loved the post-degree BSW program at York. I absolutely love York's School of Social Work and I felt like the Post-Degree program really provided me with a foundation for grad school. 

That's wonderful to hear, thank you! Did you find the program challenging or was there a lot of overlap from undergrad?

7 hours ago, olivia473 said:

That's wonderful to hear, thank you! Did you find the program challenging or was there a lot of overlap from undergrad?

I start in September, I meant the foundation of knowledge from when I applied two years ago versus now is literally a 180. I have heard from a couple York graduates that their MSW was 'easier' than undergrad because of the investment from the school and lots of support for student success. I have had a really good experience with York's accessibility office and the professors throughout my undergrad :) 

On 4/15/2021 at 12:14 AM, klegaul4 said:

I'm also still waiting on Windsor. My Process Date keeps on changing but when I emailed the Graduate Secretary at Windsor she says that's common. I really want to go to Windsor!! 

Me too. My date still hasn't changed so I'm wondering if I'm in the last admission cycle.

Hello there! Has anyone applied to the Laurier MSW PT Online program? 

Wondering how people feel about putting references to research papers/articles etc. in written statements? Wondering in particular about this question for Laurier: 

Identify a contemporary social issue (this could be at a local, national, or global level) and describe your understanding of it. Discuss some of the differing perspectives on this topic.

I have written about differing perspectives, but I could be adding references to specific articles and I'm not sure if that's needed or not...

Just now, flowergirlMSW said:

Hello there! Has anyone applied to the Laurier MSW PT Online program? 

Wondering how people feel about putting references to research papers/articles etc. in written statements? Wondering in particular about this question for Laurier: 

Identify a contemporary social issue (this could be at a local, national, or global level) and describe your understanding of it. Discuss some of the differing perspectives on this topic.

I have written about differing perspectives, but I could be adding references to specific articles and I'm not sure if that's needed or not...

Oh! I actually have an answer to this! I applied to the 2 year MSW but the answer should stand across the board.

You are not required to cite sources for the personal statement. However, if you choose to include citations, you need to add a bibliography at the end. The bibliography won't be included in your word count.

I put in citations last year and didn't get in. I didn't put in citations this year, and I did get in. So if it makes you happy to include citations, that's great, but definitely don't feel pressured to do so as long as you aren't plagiarizing anything in your discussion of the topic.