Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

5 minutes ago, KnitFlamingo said:

Oh! I actually have an answer to this! I applied to the 2 year MSW but the answer should stand across the board.

You are not required to cite sources for the personal statement. However, if you choose to include citations, you need to add a bibliography at the end. The bibliography won't be included in your word count.

I put in citations last year and didn't get in. I didn't put in citations this year, and I did get in. So if it makes you happy to include citations, that's great, but definitely don't feel pressured to do so as long as you aren't plagiarizing anything in your discussion of the topic.

Thank you!! This is very helpful. Makes me feel a little less nervous about the application. Congrats on the acceptance!

6 minutes ago, flowergirlMSW said:

Thank you!! This is very helpful. Makes me feel a little less nervous about the application. Congrats on the acceptance!

Thanks! Glad to be able to pass along the information :)

5 hours ago, MSW21-22 said:

Hello!

I have been accepted into Laurier's Advanced Standing MSW 2021-2022 program! I would love to connect with others who have also accepted! Has a Facebook group been created for this cohort yet? 

Hi there! Congratulations on your acceptance! I was put on the waitlist for this program, and I was wondering if you were initially waitlisted? Or when you were accepted? :)

6 hours ago, MSW21-22 said:

Hello!

I have been accepted into Laurier's Advanced Standing MSW 2021-2022 program! I would love to connect with others who have also accepted! Has a Facebook group been created for this cohort yet? 

Congratulations! Is this the online program for working professionals? I applied to the MSW foundation online program and I am still waiting to hear back.

Hi everyone, 

As some of us are still in the exciting and nerve-provoking purgatory known as the waitlist for some schools, I was wondering if anyone has any sort of information of what the waitlists are like for Windsor and Western? I've contacted the schools and obviously they can't provide you with much information but wanted to double check here to see if anyone has an idea of how much movement there is, chances of getting off the list and honestly any info at all. Congrats too all getting in thus far!!

Edited by scarey

2 hours ago, Emilys1024 said:

Hey! If you don't mind me asking, did you get an email saying you were on the waitlist?

Hey I haven’t received a decision on eGas or through email! My eGas still says “in process” since the day I submitted my application. I thought I would’ve heard within a week, like everyone else has on this forum. I’m assuming I’ll hear by the end of May. 

14 hours ago, Shaq1298 said:

Hi there! Congratulations on your acceptance! I was put on the waitlist for this program, and I was wondering if you were initially waitlisted? Or when you were accepted? :)

Hey! Thank you!! :) I was not initially waitlisted. I received my acceptance email on March 23 at around 11 am. I think admissions are offered out in several different waves, and is dependant on the number of acceptances/declines they receive from the previous wave. I'm not entirely sure but that's what I understand based on what York had told me LOL Congrats on being waitlisted though!! I hope you hear back with good news soon!

13 hours ago, MSWAPP2021 said:

Congratulations! Is this the online program for working professionals? I applied to the MSW foundation online program and I am still waiting to hear back.

Thank you!! I applied for One Year Advanced Standing MSW program (full time). This program requires a BSW degree. I believe the MSW foundational program is two years and does not require a BSW degree? I'm not sure if that answers your question!

Okay, I have an interesting question:

Recently, I was put on the wait-list for lauriers 2 Year MSW program. While I am still hopeful of being accepted, I do not want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Around the time I submitted my application for an MSW, I also applied to collage and was recently accepted. My question to anyone who may be able to offer insight is, will accepting the collage offer hurt my wait-list spot in any way?

I have to accept my collage offer by May 1st and I do not want to have to re-apply for a masters or a collage program. I have left my fate in the hands of God and will accept whatever comes my way. However, I also do not want to intentionally jeopardize any chance I may have of being accepted into the MSW program. 

Any insight towards my dilemma would be much appreciated- Thank you kindly!!

1 hour ago, Wandering-Nomad said:

Okay, I have an interesting question:

Recently, I was put on the wait-list for lauriers 2 Year MSW program. While I am still hopeful of being accepted, I do not want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Around the time I submitted my application for an MSW, I also applied to collage and was recently accepted. My question to anyone who may be able to offer insight is, will accepting the collage offer hurt my wait-list spot in any way?

I have to accept my collage offer by May 1st and I do not want to have to re-apply for a masters or a collage program. I have left my fate in the hands of God and will accept whatever comes my way. However, I also do not want to intentionally jeopardize any chance I may have of being accepted into the MSW program. 

Any insight towards my dilemma would be much appreciated- Thank you kindly!!

College applications are separate from university, if you accept the college offer it won't affect the university application. I've gone to university and college at the same time, and it didn't matter. You might lose some money if they require a security deposit 

3 hours ago, SocialWerkIt said:

Hey I haven’t received a decision on eGas or through email! My eGas still says “in process” since the day I submitted my application. I thought I would’ve heard within a week, like everyone else has on this forum. I’m assuming I’ll hear by the end of May. 

I got waitlisted back in March and my status never changed either. Is this for the 2-year MSW?

24 minutes ago, Emilys1024 said:

I got waitlisted back in March and my status never changed either. Is this for the 2-year MSW?

This one is for the advanced standing! I hope they let me know soon. It sucks not knowing! Did you get an email that you were waitlisted and when did you receive it? 

6 hours ago, scarey said:

Hi everyone, 

As some of us are still in the exciting and nerve-provoking purgatory known as the waitlist for some schools, I was wondering if anyone has any sort of information of what the waitlists are like for Windsor and Western? I've contacted the schools and obviously they can't provide you with much information but wanted to double check here to see if anyone has an idea of how much movement there is, chances of getting off the list and honestly any info at all. Congrats too all getting in thus far!!

I’m also wondering about this because there have been a handful of people who have decided to attend other schools and not accept their offer to Western, but I haven’t seen anyone here move off the waitlist yet. 

Hi there, 

I have been accepted into the Laurier 2 year program. I was hoping someone could help me out with information about placements. I know that you are supposed to be willing to travel anywhere, but I live and work in the Hamilton/Brantford area and having a placement closer to home is important to me if possible.

Does anyone know whether there are many placements in the Brantford/Hamilton/Burlington? Alternatively, if anyone has a sense of where most of the placements are concentrated that would be helpful too. I know it's a pretty open ended question, but I haven't been able to get much information about what placements are available where. 

Thanks!

Hi everyone! So I am currently on the waitlist for U of T's 2-year MSW (for the 2nd year in a row). I have an honours BA in Psychology so will not qualify for advanced standing programs. Looking ahead to next application cycle and would like to expand my search for appropriate programs. With a little baby I am not able to move from the Toronto area so looking for more clinical oriented programs that are available exclusively online. Any leads/suggestions?

Hi - if anyone hears about their application to the MSW for Laurier PT on-line program please post. 

We don't hear till May but wanting to know once someone does get a notice. 

Thx & good luck to all those hoping to take part on this journey.

On 4/22/2021 at 7:59 PM, mriley26 said:

I received an acceptance to Windsor's Regualr Track MSW For Working Professionals at 2:46pm today! I submitted my application April 8th so it was processed pretty quickly!

I have seen a Facebook group for the regular 2 year MSW program - has one been made for the MSWwp?

Congrats! I am applying as well. I do not work full-time, but rather I tutor a few hours a week? Can I still apply? Also, may I ask your average and volunteer stats? I have about a mid 70's average. I worry it is low. I also only have ~1800 volunteer/work hours. I have about 60 working at a Sexual Violence Centre. The rest are just volunteering at a non-profit playing piano for patients in hospitals, exec positions for organizations at my university, one was also a non-profit, and then teaching experiences. I would some input on your application. 

On 4/27/2021 at 2:50 PM, MSW21-22 said:

Hello!

I've also been accepted and would love to know if a group has been created already!

On 4/25/2021 at 2:30 AM, olivia473 said:

Does anyone here have some advice about post-degree BSW vs. two year MSW programs? I've been rejected from York's MSW, waitlisted for U of T and was just accepted to York's post degree BSW. Does anyone have some experience with the post degree programs? 

These are the same programs I applied for, same outcomes, except still waiting on the post-degree BSW update! Do you mind me asking what the first letter of your last name is? Wondering if they do it alphabetically, because I'm an 'S', so I want to prepare myself for the worst lol