On 3/29/2021 at 11:59 AM, Speechies22 said:

Has anyone received any updates from ubc yet?

I still haven't heard from UBC- not overly surprised that it's taking them a while but really hoping we hear soon. I guess technically they could've sent them out but I know many UBC applicants and haven't heard anything at all (and this would be on the early side for them)

7 minutes ago, Streblo said:

Does anyone know the details of UofA's waitlist - i.e. number of applicants put on the waitlist, number of applicants on the waitlist that typically get accepted? 

I realize its likely guess work, but you never know if there is a typical amount.

In my waitlist portal email that Vicki sent to me, she said there are exactly 35 people on this waitlist. 2 years ago, half the class 30/60 students were from the waitlist!!

Just now, MelissaFuture SLP said:

In my waitlist portal email that Vicki sent to me, she said there are exactly 35 people on this waitlist. 2 years ago, half the class 30/60 students were from the waitlist!!

Awesome, thanks so much for the insight and congratulations on getting waitlisted. I know it can be disappointing for some people but considering how competitive these programs are I think its a huge accomplishment to be proud of. 

Does the UofA give waitlisted applicants any idea of where they are on the list?

2 minutes ago, Streblo said:

Awesome, thanks so much for the insight and congratulations on getting waitlisted. I know it can be disappointing for some people but considering how competitive these programs are I think its a huge accomplishment to be proud of. 

Does the UofA give waitlisted applicants any idea of where they are on the list?

I received my email at 1:22 (edmonton time) to check my portal. All they tell you is there are 35 spots and that they won’t disclose waitlist positions :(

8 minutes ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

I'm so sorry to hear that. 

Can you elaborate? Via email? 

I thought rejections come through the mail later on in the year? I'm so confused! 

I received an email to check my portal, and then a message from Vicky came through

8 hours ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

I'm rejected as well. Thought I had a competitive application, too. Wild. 

I’m so sorry to hear that. You had quite competitive stats and I’m surprised you didn’t get in! I wonder if CASPer (an element we don’t see the stats for) played a role? 
Also, did your application focus on the EDI aspects? 

8 hours ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Wow I am so sorry to hear that and I am seriously so surprised by that. ? You really have amazing stats and background experience, more than some people I know in the program currently (myself included). It really must've been a competitive year. I wonder if they place a lot of importance in the letter of intent as that is how people can be memorable/make an impact & stand out from other applicants. I would encourage you to apply again next year, I really think you have what it takes and I wouldn't give up! I know it might be difficult but please don't be discouraged by this. Next year could be your year!

Ahhh! I can't believe that we will hear from at least Western tonight! (Does anyone know if Toronto, McMaster or Ottawa also update their portals/ORPAS at midnight or if they wait to contact us during business hours on April 1st?) I'm so nervous! I don't know how I will focus on my classes today... Good luck everyone! :) 

Edited by Wuglette

Also, does anyone else's uOttawa portal look different? I used to be able to see my application status in the top left corner, and now I can't find it anywhere...

14 hours ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

I'm really sorry to hear this, and I'm also quite surprised myself, not only because of your stats and experience being so great but also because you know some of the faculty personally then I would have imagined they might have been able to put a good word in for you or something. As the others mentioned, please don't give up! Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but given how great your numerical stats are, perhaps it was one of the more qualitative aspects of the application, like your letter of intent or the reference letters? If you do apply again next year, the GRE requirement has been waived so hopefully that will allow you to focus on writing an outstanding letter of intent and doing well on CASPer :) 

One other thing I noticed (I hope you don't mind that I went back to re-look at your stats) would be that you wrote the CASPer test on the last available day, January 26th. The deadline for UA was February 1st, and the CASPer website says that it can take 2-3 weeks for schools to receive the scores, so do you know for sure that they received them in time? I'm not sure if you were checking the status of your application/the checklist frequently on the GSMS portal, but maybe for a bit of time it was partially incomplete, and that was a factor? I'm not sure, but I just thought I might point this out. 

Finally, I'm not sure if UofA does this, but I know sometimes if you email departments to ask what you can improve on for the next cycle sometimes they'll give a hint about it (but not every school does this). I've seen on past forums some schools have told applicants they should try and improve their letters of intent to make them more interesting, boost prereq grades, had a low CASPer score, etc. 

I hope some of this helps! I'm sorry once again that you were rejected and I'm sure it was probably surprising for you, but I hope you hang in there and don't give up! :) 

36 minutes ago, coco_SLP said:

I'm really sorry to hear this, and I'm also quite surprised myself, not only because of your stats and experience being so great but also because you know some of the faculty personally then I would have imagined they might have been able to put a good word in for you or something. As the others mentioned, please don't give up! Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but given how great your numerical stats are, perhaps it was one of the more qualitative aspects of the application, like your letter of intent or the reference letters? If you do apply again next year, the GRE requirement has been waived so hopefully that will allow you to focus on writing an outstanding letter of intent and doing well on CASPer :) 

One other thing I noticed (I hope you don't mind that I went back to re-look at your stats) would be that you wrote the CASPer test on the last available day, January 26th. The deadline for UA was February 1st, and the CASPer website says that it can take 2-3 weeks for schools to receive the scores, so do you know for sure that they received them in time? I'm not sure if you were checking the status of your application/the checklist frequently on the GSMS portal, but maybe for a bit of time it was partially incomplete, and that was a factor? I'm not sure, but I just thought I might point this out. 

Finally, I'm not sure if UofA does this, but I know sometimes if you email departments to ask what you can improve on for the next cycle sometimes they'll give a hint about it (but not every school does this). I've seen on past forums some schools have told applicants they should try and improve their letters of intent to make them more interesting, boost prereq grades, had a low CASPer score, etc. 

I hope some of this helps! I'm sorry once again that you were rejected and I'm sure it was probably surprising for you, but I hope you hang in there and don't give up! :) 

UA will go over apps with you! I have a friend who told me that they looked over hers & gave her a bit of information