2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

14 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

A meme from a facebook group I follow that feels quite on point for us all at the moment.

144267805_10223565307062610_170311736680

Yep...hopefully tomorrow brings good news. Good luck everybody!

1 hour ago, rainydaze said:

Re: USC, they've had a very good placement record in recent years, even compared to top 20 schools. Particularly in IR. Multiple Belfer post-docs, placements at R1s, and quite a few competitive LACs. They have  (a lot) of money and they throw it into funding grad student research and professionalization, and it's made a difference in publication results for grads as well. Source: Have friends in the program who are publishing in IO, JOP, and ISQ. 

I was planning on applying for IR. I know LORs aren’t everything, but my profile isn’t too bad, and having a PhD alum who’s been in the same program recommend a student must have at least slight benefits I guess. 

Now I really regret not applying. I let the “rankings” affect my decisions even though the program really appealed to me. I thought that money would be better spent on a higher ranked school. 

In my defense, I had spoken to a few current students at Top 20 programs that said rankings mattered a lot (especially in terms of placements) and I got swayed by that. Moreover, I didn’t even have access to this forum then. 

Well, it is what it is. Hopefully I do get into one of the schools I applied to. Really really hoping Emory or NW revert soon. If I don’t get in any place, I’ll definitely try USC next cycle (hopefully it doesn’t come to it though).

5 hours ago, nivy25 said:

I was planning on applying for IR. I know LORs aren’t everything, but my profile isn’t too bad, and having a PhD alum who’s been in the same program recommend a student must have at least slight benefits I guess. 

Now I really regret not applying. I let the “rankings” affect my decisions even though the program really appealed to me. I thought that money would be better spent on a higher ranked school. 

In my defense, I had spoken to a few current students at Top 20 programs that said rankings mattered a lot (especially in terms of placements) and I got swayed by that. Moreover, I didn’t even have access to this forum then. 

Well, it is what it is. Hopefully I do get into one of the schools I applied to. Really really hoping Emory or NW revert soon. If I don’t get in any place, I’ll definitely try USC next cycle (hopefully it doesn’t come to it though).

Wishing you best of luck!! I’m sure you’ll end up where is best for you :) 

28 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Good morning folks! Hope you had a restful night. On to another day of anxious waiting! 

giphy.gif

I have decided to allow myself to check my email however many times I want, since abstaining yesterday didn’t help one bit. 

Good luck everyone!! 

Does anyone have any tips for contacting graduate admissions offices to find out when decisions are going to be released? Best to call or to email? Am just thinking of contacting a couple which are slightly behind schedule this year to find out what is up. 

Just now, scarletwitch said:

Does anyone have any tips for contacting graduate admissions offices to find out when decisions are going to be released? Best to call or to email? Am just thinking of contacting a couple which are slightly behind schedule this year to find out what is up. 

I've seen people in here post that they've called before - maybe because its more instant/direct? 

26 minutes ago, scarletwitch said:

Which schools are you planning to contact?

Just now, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Which schools are you planning to contact?

I was going to contact UW Madison History Dept & Duke History Dept. Thinking UW Madison should be fairly soon since y'all got those results from their political science dept the other week. They usually get back 1st/2nd week Feb so may just wait on them. Duke seems to be a couple weeks behind this year though. 

25 minutes ago, scarletwitch said:

I wrote an email to Cornell yesterday and got a reply this morning. They said that they "hope to have decisions in by the end of February." I suppose that could mean somewhere between Feb 14-17 as usual or until the end of the month, which is a little bit later than usual. I specifically asked if the covid-19 slowed things down or pushed the normal timeline. They did not specifically write about that.   

2 minutes ago, pspr said:

I wrote an email to Cornell yesterday and got a reply this morning. They said that they "hope to have decisions in by the end of February." I suppose that could mean somewhere between Feb 14-17 as usual or until the end of the month, which is a little bit later than usual. I specifically asked if the covid-19 slowed things down or pushed the normal timeline. They did not specifically write about that.   

Yeah, I think Cornell always tends to be that third week of February so I'd guess they'll send their decisions out then. I am so thankful February is a short month as it's a hella stressful one ?

Just now, nivy25 said:

I’m really starting to wonder about Emory and NW at this point. They usually have decisions at the end of January! 

I too am wondering about Emory. I’m thinking of reaching out to my PoI there and asking about what’s up.

1 minute ago, nivy25 said:

I’m really starting to wonder about Emory and NW at this point. They usually have decisions at the end of January! 

I think someone in this thread contacted NW and they said results would be out in the week of Feb 15th. 

COVID in general is causing a number of delays across various programs. Given that a late January release doesn't seem to be the norm but rather an exception, releasing in the middle of Feb isn't too much of a a delay so I wouldn't stress about it too much! Departments adjusting to being mostly or all online has taken its toll on productivity.  

13 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

I reached out to someone at Emory and they said they are reviewing apps right now and will release results mid-February! It looks like it has been late January a few times in previous years but also the second week in February some years. Fingers crossed for all of us!

I was opening up my email to write to my PoI when I saw this so thanks for doing this for me! lol

12 hours ago, BrownSugar said:

No, don’t count yourself out yet! It might be depending on subfield, and this year is also definitely unprecedented in terms of decision releases. Wishing you luck!! 

Can I ask what subfield you are in? And was it an email or phone call? Anxiously awaiting news from USC as well :) Thank you!!