Why is the forum name changed to clinical psych?

Taro_Taro

Although I am clinically-focused, I will second this question. Surely the admins recognize that psych consists of many sub-disciplines, with the variety of graduate programs reflecting this? Would it be that difficult to either revert the forum back to general psych, or to at least create additional subforums?

This exactly. Frankly, this is a stupid, exclusionary change. Clinicians obviously felt comfortable posting here before, and non-clinical psychologists deserve a place on gradcafe. I am really not seeing the benefits of this decision. I support changing the name back. 

As an aside, if they intend to open new boards for different psych fields, that's a huge error in judgment. We need interdisciplinary contact, even if it's at the application stages.

I think someone goofed. They leapt on an idea and didn't really think it through.

Just adding to the growing group to say change it back! While I recognize clinical psych is a large focus of the forum, there are LOTS of other sub-disciplines that use threads. If I was new to GC and wasn't clinical, I wouldn't know that this space was for me, too. 

I'm just bumping this for visibility AND to make the point that, at the moment, the top ten threads in this forum include Quantitative Psych, Clinical & Counseling Psych, Industrial Organizational Psych, Cognitive Psych/Cognitive Neuroscience, Developmental Psych, and Social & Personality Psych.

Sorry, School Psych. You just missed the top ten. ?

Edited by Psyche007

Other than these valid points - a lot of PhD programs don't even have specific areas in their program (only 'psychology') and a lot of people do interdisciplinary things (e.g., social neuroscience is a field?!) This distinction makes so not sense....

2 hours ago, PokePsych said:

Other than these valid points - a lot of PhD programs don't even have specific areas in their program (only 'psychology') and a lot of people do interdisciplinary things (e.g., social neuroscience is a field?!) This distinction makes so not sense....

Yeah, it's interesting that nobody has addressed this, despite being notified by @PsyDuck90. They can just change it back, no big deal.

People forget that providing a service doesn't bestow ownership over a community. Unilateral change is this context is short-sighted, which is why I prefer to think of it as a goof and not a deliberate and indifferent modification.

2 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Nope, still waiting for a response. Sorry everyone!

Well, then maybe it's time to follow up with them? Or for us to ask directly?

Alternatively, I may just ditch this forum. Reddit may be better going forward. I know I have no reason to stick around a forum that's excluding my entire subfield... along with most of the psychological scienes. 

12 minutes ago, amazingbutternutsquash said:

Well, then maybe it's time to follow up with them? Or for us to ask directly?

Alternatively, I may just ditch this forum. Reddit may be better going forward. I know I have no reason to stick around a forum that's excluding my entire subfield... along with most of the psychological scienes. 

You're free to reach out to @TGCAindividually as well, if you wish.