2018 Acceptances

Thanks everyone! Hope this is helpful: they called me Saturday morning to unofficially inform me of my acceptance, and the prof also said that a more official email will be sent out (w/ more details on funding package hopefully?) on Wednesday. I'm an early modernist, if that info helps anyone. 

@chellyfish_ wow thanks! And yes I'm a Spenser fan and I heard lots of great things about Wofford, though I also heard that she was recently promoted to a dean and has less capacity for teaching/mentoring now? 

5 hours ago, mk-8 said:

Congrats @maengret! I was accepted to Iowa State's RPC PhD!

!!!!YAY!!!

4 hours ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

GOOD JOB, GOOD JOB, GOOD JOB!

:D :D  :D

4 hours ago, HopefulRhetorician said:

Congrats, y’all! I got the acceptance email for Iowa State’s RPC PhD program, too!

Congrats @HopefulRhetorician (more like ActualRhetorician now, eh?) and @mk-8 ! Are you going to the open house (or whatever it's called) on March 3?

15 minutes ago, maengret said:

!!!!YAY!!!

Congrats @HopefulRhetorician (more like ActualRhetorician now, eh?) and @mk-8 ! Are you going to the open house (or whatever it's called) on March 3?

No, it's the same day as the UT Austin visit (and also Texas Tech, and at this point, I'm assuming every program I should get accepted to will have an event that weekend).

7 minutes ago, maengret said:

@mk-8 oof! So far mine are both Fridays. I teach Thursday nights and have to fly ~2,000 miles so may not be happening on the official open dates for me, either.

Yikes! I teach Friday so when I told my students about my second acceptance, they asked if class was gonna be cancelled again. Hahahahaha

3 hours ago, colin_cloute said:

Thanks everyone! Hope this is helpful: they called me Saturday morning to unofficially inform me of my acceptance, and the prof also said that a more official email will be sent out (w/ more details on funding package hopefully?) on Wednesday. I'm an early modernist, if that info helps anyone. 

@chellyfish_ wow thanks! And yes I'm a Spenser fan and I heard lots of great things about Wofford, though I also heard that she was recently promoted to a dean and has less capacity for teaching/mentoring now? 

Congrats! Seems very weird that they called on a Saturday morning though. Was it the DGS who called you? Do you have any other info on how they’re proceeding? If they are indeed calling every applicant I don’t suppose they’re quite done.

1 hour ago, WildeThing said:

Congrats! Seems very weird that they called on a Saturday morning though. Was it the DGS who called you? Do you have any other info on how they’re proceeding? If they are indeed calling every applicant I don’t suppose they’re quite done.

I’m not surprised about the weekend call. One DGS I spoke with said they like to notify ASAP so they don’t lose out to other programs. I keep hearing variations of that from other professors and also friends who work in administration at grad programs.

36 minutes ago, turtleducks said:

I DIDN'T GET SHUT OUT LOL 

University of Kansas--teaching assistantship for the whole time.

^^^this! Congratulations!^^^

Thanks! :D

DGS called me Sat. morning too. I've been getting a lot of spam calls, so hearing a real friendly human being on the line freaked me out. Glad I wasn't sleeping in when the call came!

She said the official notices and funding info can take some time to be sent out, and she wanted to let people know quickly instead of waiting for that. They have a visit weekend in a few weeks, so they probably want people to know the dates as early in advance as possible.

7 hours ago, maengret said:

@mk-8 Ha! I can't get away with that (canceling) -- I'm hourly $ at the community college. Kicking myself because I keep meaning to propose Tuesday or Wednesday sessions and the deadlines sneak past me every quarter.

Oh no! I’m so sorry. I’ve been really lucky with a department who understands this year. 

10 hours ago, maengret said:

!!!!YAY!!!

Thanks so much! Unfortunately, I won’t be. I’d be coming from Alabama, so it’d be quite the trip for only a one-day thing. And the email didn’t say anything about funding, so I couldn’t afford it regardless.

35 minutes ago, la_mod said:

GUYS. Just got a call from USC. My first acceptance. Glad I let it go to voicemail because I would have cried :')

I am a perpetual lurker. But I have seen your posts this past year and I am SOO happy for you! Congratulations, I hope you become a beast of a scholar and take over the world. 

53 minutes ago, la_mod said:

GUYS. Just got a call from USC. My first acceptance. Glad I let it go to voicemail because I would have cried :')

HOLY SHIT THAT'S AWESOME! They are my number one choice, so also hoping for a phonecall!