Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Relevant to the recent discussion on joining labs - if the only research projects I could join were non-paid at my alma mater, would this experience look less "official" or worthwhile to admissions folks as opposed to experience gained through a paid assistant position? Advice appreciated!

4 hours ago, petitebiscuit said:

Well no interview invites yet, BUT I did just get a job offer to work full-time in a new lab :) salary and benefits! Yay for a backup plan!

Congrats! How are you handling potentially starting a PhD program along with having the offer? Does the lab know that it's contingent on you not getting accepted to a program?

1 hour ago, socpsy said:

Congrats! How are you handling potentially starting a PhD program along with having the offer? Does the lab know that it's contingent on you not getting accepted to a program?

Yep :). Two of my letter writers work there! So everyone knows I’ll either work there for 8 months then head off to school, or stay and do a masters at my local uni! 

3 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Relevant to the recent discussion on joining labs - if the only research projects I could join were non-paid at my alma mater, would this experience look less "official" or worthwhile to admissions folks as opposed to experience gained through a paid assistant position? Advice appreciated!

ANY research experience is worthwhile and valuable. The more experience the better. 

9 hours ago, petitebiscuit said:

Yep :). Two of my letter writers work there! So everyone knows I’ll either work there for 8 months then head off to school, or stay and do a masters at my local uni! 

That's nice! No one wanted to hire me because I was honest enough to tell them I was planning on leaving for grad school come august :(

19 minutes ago, LindsPhD said:

Congrats!  Were to?

University of Mississippi (Clinical PhD)! 

Given that this is my first application season I have also realized that I have no idea how to respond to one of these emails. Luckily I’m meeting with my lab’s Post-Doc today to talk about the interview process so hopefully she can help me out a bit. 

3 hours ago, SoldierOn said:

University of Mississippi (Clinical PhD)! 

Given that this is my first application season I have also realized that I have no idea how to respond to one of these emails. Luckily I’m meeting with my lab’s Post-Doc today to talk about the interview process so hopefully she can help me out a bit. 

CONGRATS!

I just responded thanking them for the opportunity to interview and confirming that I will attend. My POI was on the email also so I responded to her suggestion to contact other members of the lab and stated that I was looking forward to learning more about the program and meeting faculty on interview day.  Just be gracious and courteous :) I doubt they have time to nitpick exactly what you say as a response ! 

9 minutes ago, PsychGal said:

Has anyone heard from UGA?

Apparently someone has received an interview invite for the clinical psych program today. Not sure if I should start being bummed out or not already...

1 minute ago, stinger said:

Apparently someone has received an interview invite for the clinical psych program today. Not sure if I should start being bummed out or not already...

Same! I saw that and assumed they sent out all the invites, just wanted to see if anyone on here received the general email?

Just now, checkingmyemail said:

Is this University of Georgia? For Clinical? I just saw the results page the program coordinator sent a mass e-mail with invites today

Yep, that's what I saw as well. 

3 minutes ago, stinger said:

I didn't apply there, but it's safe to say when the DCT/Program coordinator sends out mass e-mails, they've completed their review for initial in-person invites. 
:( Sorry, this whole process f*^&cking sucks. I've been there before!

I haven't sifted through 33 pages of entries, but are there any other Community Psychology PhD candidates out there? It's such a small field, but I'd love to meet up with others who are applying. I have submitted apps to: UIC, DePaul, Hawaii, NCSU, GWU, U Mich, Cincinnati, UCSC, Portland, Miami, Alaska and a few social psych programs where my POI was interested in the same areas of research.  Plus UMass Psych of Peace. I have held it together until now, finals week. I am taking 16 units and I cannot focus on anything but my app status.

Basic Stats:

3.89 GPA

GRE Mid-150s

5-written

6 months in a qual lab on interpersonal violence

Presenting my own research on disproportionality in special education this spring

2 years experience in community organizing and grass roots community training, including co-founding my own action group that now has 200 members