Fall 2020 Psychology Acceptances

justacigar

• 2 weeks later...

School:  Midwestern University - Glendale

Type of Program: Clinical Psychology, PsyD

Acceptance Date: 2/2/2020 (Heads up to other applicants - I didn't receive an "official" acceptance email yet, but I have an invitation for some app for accepted students only. I also checked my applicant account and it has new tasks for me to complete as an "accepted student")

Might be a silly question, but what is the etiquette when it comes to holding on to an offer? I'm still waiting for my interviews to finish so it feels weird to accept an offer right away, but it also seems weird to ignore it...Are you supposed to tell them you'll get back to them? haha halp Also I only have one offer, so not holding on to multiple at the moment

Edited by 192020

23 minutes ago, 192020 said:

Might be a silly question, but what is the etiquette when it comes to holding on to an offer? I'm still waiting for my interviews to finish so it feels weird to accept an offer right away, but it also seems weird to ignore it...Are you supposed to tell them you'll get back to them? haha halp Also I only have one offer, so not holding on to multiple at the moment

Etiquette wise you're really only supposed to hold onto 1 at a time. So if you get a second offer, you should choose between those and let one go. But if you have one, they give you until April so you can make sure it's the right offer for you and you can get your financial information first. It's probably good to let them know something even if it's just that you will get back to them asap when you have your decision. Communication never hurts :) congrats! 

2 hours ago, Psych1st said:

Etiquette wise you're really only supposed to hold onto 1 at a time. So if you get a second offer, you should choose between those and let one go. But if you have one, they give you until April so you can make sure it's the right offer for you and you can get your financial information first. It's probably good to let them know something even if it's just that you will get back to them asap when you have your decision. Communication never hurts :) congrats! 

Yes, hopefully people won't horde offers. I know they are nice to hold onto but someone is out there waiting to love the one you're going to turn down. So make their day :).

8 minutes ago, PsychPhdBound said:

Yes, hopefully people won't horde offers. I know they are nice to hold onto but someone is out there waiting to love the one you're going to turn down. So make their day :).

Just to clarify, I definitely would not hold onto two at a time! I'm more concerned over what to say to the admissions committee for now, since I want to be able to make my decision after my interviews are completed! 

3 hours ago, 192020 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about "hoarding" offers. It's your life, not anyone else's, so don't make any choices until you are ready. Obviously, if you know that you won't accept an offer, its best to let it go sooner rather than later. But, if you have multiple good offers, keep them until you've made a decision that you are comfortable with. All programs (in the U.S.) will give you until April 15th, so if you make a decision in March that should give programs enough time to reach out to their waitlists. In fact, this is exactly why there are waitlists, so that you can have time to make decisions without it harming others.

And with my offers none of the committees have asked me to commit sooner than April 15th, just to let them know as soon as I know. I've just told them thank you and that I will be strongly considering their offer.

11 hours ago, 192020 said:

Just to clarify, I definitely would not hold onto two at a time! I'm more concerned over what to say to the admissions committee for now, since I want to be able to make my decision after my interviews are completed! 

For all those who are interested, please see these guidelines: https://cudcp.wildapricot.org/Resources/Documents/CUDCP Policy on Graduate Program Offers and Acceptances (FULL version).pdf

I would just express your interest, thank them, and let them know that you will let them know as soon as you have made a decision. Schools understand that applicants are trying to keep an open mind about schools and don't want to write anyone out too quickly.