Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

6 minutes ago, Raz16 said:

I received an email from my PI at UCSB requesting I fill out a form providing additional information. After I submitted it, I was invited to have a Zoom call next week! Not sure if this is an interview or a pre-interview, but excited nonetheless. 

For anyone who applied to University of Kansas's Clinical Child program, I was informed by the Admissions Assistant that the committee will begin reviewing applications at the end of this month. Invitations for interviews will be sent out mid-January. Hopefully, this eases some anxiety! 

Congratulations on getting an interview!! :) I didn’t apply to UCSB but am curious, what kind of additional info did they want you to fill out? 

2 minutes ago, BigBrainEnergy said:

Congratulations on getting an interview!! :) I didn’t apply to UCSB but am curious, what kind of additional info did they want you to fill out? 

Thank you! The majority was information from my CV (teaching/leadership experience, volunteer experience, clinical experience), but then a few more personal questions designed to show the applicant's personality (at least, that's how I viewed them). I didn't even know that was something that could be part of this entire process, considering this is my second time applying but never made it past the application stage. 

I hope that helps! 

33 minutes ago, Raz16 said:

I received an email from my PI at UCSB requesting I fill out a form providing additional information. After I submitted it, I was invited to have a Zoom call next week! Not sure if this is an interview or a pre-interview, but excited nonetheless. 

For anyone who applied to University of Kansas's Clinical Child program, I was informed by the Admissions Assistant that the committee will begin reviewing applications at the end of this month. Invitations for interviews will be sent out mid-January. Hopefully, this eases some anxiety! 

Congratulation for the interview, I hope everything goes well with the interview, Just wondering to ask did you apply for clinical program in UCSB? I applied to UCSB clinical program, and still didn't get any email!

Hey ya’ll! I’m curious about preliminary interviews. I know it’s different depending on the school and PI. I’m wondering what preliminary interviews are used for? For all students they want to formally invite or just a few they want to get to know better before formally inviting? 

6 minutes ago, Nishaca said:

Hey ya’ll! I’m curious about preliminary interviews. I know it’s different depending on the school and PI. I’m wondering what preliminary interviews are used for? For all students they want to formally invite or just a few they want to get to know better before formally inviting? 

I just had an informal interview and it was with a PI that I didn't get a chance to meet with before applying. From what he said, the informal interview was just to verify that the fit was there before moving forward with interview process. 

On 10/3/2020 at 7:04 AM, PyschMama said:

Aneesha, I am also applying to Rutger's Psy.D program and finished my SOP. Well almost. I agree with you that the website is a bit confusing. I did name the research centers/clinics that I am interested in and the faculty member involved in it. I did also include my research experience in my SOP since I've worked in two research labs. The other part of my SOP is my clinical experience and then the last paragraph is about the program and research and why I think it would be a good fit yadayada. I guess it depends how much research experience you have? What other programs are you applying to? This process is so nerve wrecking. I am relieved that Rutgers won't let us submit GRE scores, it is one less anxiety in this whole process, I wish all schools would follow ...

Sorry for the late reply. I was so tied up with the whole process of completing the application and figuring out the paperwork requirements as I am an international student. I have applied to  University of Denver for PsyD too! What about you? Oh yes!! I was so relieved when schools finally decided to wave off the gre requirements.

Edited by Aneesha B

Any fellow Oklahoma State applicants getting anxious? It looks like most of the interview invites last year went out the week of December 18th, which is this week ahh! 

I'm not necessarily anxious about not hearing anything yet, just anxious to know and make plans. Anybody else feeling the same? 

18 minutes ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

If you start seeing that your POI sent out prelim invites but you didn't get one, is all hope lost? I'm trying not to panic but I also want to be rational 

From what I understand, profs hold prelim interviews with applicants they are on the fence about. So, if they already know you are a good fit for their lab, they might not feel the need to hold a prelim. I wouldn't worry until the formal invites come through. 

On 12/11/2020 at 12:45 PM, psychcoffeegal said:

Congrats to everyone receiving early interviews! I can't help but consistently check the page for any of the schools I've applied to and not receiving interviews yet :( I feel like I am being harsh on myself but ughh I'm so anxious!! 

This !

Hey y'all, question time 

(This is my first time applying and I am very nervous..) On the results page I've noticed some people have gotten prelim emails/etc from southern mississippi (my top choice). I haven't gotten any emails yet (boooo) so I am anxiously waiting. However, in my student profile on USM website, they have already assigned me a student id? didn't know if that was just for application purposes? Any advice/calming words of wisdom would be appreciated

3 hours ago, cruiser23 said:

Hey y'all, question time 

(This is my first time applying and I am very nervous..) On the results page I've noticed some people have gotten prelim emails/etc from southern mississippi (my top choice). I haven't gotten any emails yet (boooo) so I am anxiously waiting. However, in my student profile on USM website, they have already assigned me a student id? didn't know if that was just for application purposes? Any advice/calming words of wisdom would be appreciated

Hi, yes you are typically assigned a student ID when you complete an application. It's essentially the way the school tracks you. So, it has no relation to your acceptance or rejection. 

Re: prelims, see my post above - not getting a prelim doesn't mean you won't get a formal interview. 

Hi guys!
So I applied simultaneously to both MFT (Masters in Family Therapy) and Clinical Psychology doctoral programs for Fall 2021 admissions. My first choice are the doctoral programs, and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I applied to MFT programs as a backup. Today I received an acceptance for an MFT program but I have two weeks to make an admissions decision. What should I do? Should I ask for an extension? Or should I decline the offer altogether? Can I accept the admission, and then decline afterwards? I'm scared of rejecting the admission, and then not getting into any doctoral programs.
Thank you so much!

Edit: The MFT program I applied to is within the same University of one of the doctoral programs I'm applying to. However, they are in different departments.

17 hours ago, justacigar said:

From what I understand, profs hold prelim interviews with applicants they are on the fence about. So, if they already know you are a good fit for their lab, they might not feel the need to hold a prelim. I wouldn't worry until the formal invites come through. 

I'd just add that this isn't always that case! I received a prelim invitation email from a PI saying I'd made it to their shortlist of applicants to interview after narrowing down from their larger pool. So I think it depends on the pI:)

Edited by clincal_j

On 12/11/2020 at 12:45 PM, psychcoffeegal said:

Congrats to everyone receiving early interviews! I can't help but consistently check the page for any of the schools I've applied to and not receiving interviews yet :( I feel like I am being harsh on myself but ughh I'm so anxious!! 

If it's at all reassuring, last year I received interview invites for 6 clinical psych phd programs ranging from December 26-January 22! I also know that due to the increased number of applicants this year that things may be taking longer (inside scoop from a clinical psych phd faculty). I recommend not being too harsh on yourself - it's quite early yet :)❤️ 

Obviously this has been a stressful time and I keep refreshing all the things as sort of a compulsion to deal with my anxiety. However I've been trying to frame this time in this way:

This is a time of opportunity. I have applied to 7 schools I am excited about and because I have not heard either way about anything, there is still possibility for each one. I have my own separate fantasy of the research and I could conduct with each POI and what my day to day would be like at each location. Yes I could get no interview invitations, or if I do I could get no acceptances. However, in this moment my future is full of possibility and excitement and I'm choosing to be in that space (at least today - other days I'm filled with dread.) 

I have no where else to express these musings so here we are :)

23 hours ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

If you start seeing that your POI sent out prelim invites but you didn't get one, is all hope lost? I'm trying not to panic but I also want to be rational 

Hey,

Definitely don't panic! Sometimes prelim invites are to decide between people, not to confirm favorites :) 

10 hours ago, cruiser23 said:

Hey y'all, question time 

Often the university ID is just for application purposes. It gives them an easy way to ensure they're informing the correct person about their decision/ app status. 

4 hours ago, thirdtimecharmed said:

If it's at all reassuring, last year I received interview invites for 6 clinical psych phd programs ranging from December 26-January 22! I also know that due to the increased number of applicants this year that things may be taking longer (inside scoop from a clinical psych phd faculty). I recommend not being too harsh on yourself - it's quite early yet :)❤️ 

Totally agree- I've had 3 interview invites in past application rounds- from Mid December to Mid February. It really isn't over until you get the "no". Once I even got a rejection from a uni in Mid-July. (Wait-listed i'm assuming)

For some reason, this round is the only round where I haven't been checking this  ~* a g g r e s s i v e l y *~

got my first (hopefully not only) pre-interview for FIU! They said that it's typical practice for this program to do an initial interview and then select a smaller group of applicants for another round of interviews. For those who haven't received informal or 'pre' interviews with other programs, don't put too much thought into it. This process depends on the preferences of the POI/program and isn't necessarily an indication as to whether or not you'll receive a formal interview. I got three interviews last year but didn't have any previous communication with the PI (other than the initial pre-application outreach, of course). So don't lose hope. Hopefully, more interview requests come rolling in for all of us ??

I finished my first round interview with UC Santa Barbara today (yay!) and I just received my first interview day invite just a little while ago for OSU (Oklahoma not Ohio)! I am so hyped and excited!

Edited by pomegranateleaves
added Oklahoma to help prevent future heart attacks