2021 Applicants

5 minutes ago, Magic Lantern said:

Good to know! Thank you so much! Also, congratulations on getting into UCSD!! So happy for you :)

? Thank you. I celebrate the win but imposter syndrome is real.

I wish you all the best!! I pray for good news for you (and everyone here), too. If it doesn't work out this round, please, please try again. I am a non-traditional applicant who finished my undergrad at 31, MA at 38, and now starting a PhD at 40 (!). Last year, I only got in to 1/5 programs, with no funding. This year, I had six offers (four of which were funded), one of which was my dream school. We really do get better at this as we go haha. ?

Just now, jujubee said:

? Thank you. I celebrate the win but imposter syndrome is real.

I wish you all the best!! I pray for good news for you (and everyone here), too. If it doesn't work out this round, please, please try again. I am a non-traditional applicant who finished my undergrad at 31, MA at 38, and now starting a PhD at 40 (!). Last year, I only got in to 1/5 programs, with no funding. This year, I had six offers (four of which were funded), one of which was my dream school. We really do get better at this as we go haha. ?

That's really inspiring! Thanks for sharing! Wishing you all the best as well ?

19 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

I received an email from the DGS at BC saying that she expects movement in the next two weeks, and that's she'll keep me updated about what's happening. I'm glad to hear that she expects movement, but man oh man these next few weeks are going to be killer.

I feel you. I'm also waitlisted by two programs (and ghosted by one). The next few weeks are gonna be painful, and that's an understatement.

7 hours ago, Magic Lantern said:

I feel you. I'm also waitlisted by two programs (and ghosted by one). The next few weeks are gonna be painful, and that's an understatement.

It's such a difficult process... but I'm hoping the best for us!

Hate to be that person who only posts good things, but I'm excited to share that I got accepted into English MA programs at Boston U and Villanova! After having no hope for this cycle, these last minute acceptances have been so pleasant and unexpected. To all those still waiting, hang in there!! 

The UI-Champaign rejection letter was the kindest I've seen, and I've seen 'em all. 

But, weirdly, it says that they accepted under 20% of applicants. Isn't that a way higher application-to-acceptance ratio than everywhere else? 

That means if they accepted 5 people, they did so out of a pool of 25 applicants; if 10 out of 5, and 10 seems like a high yield this year. 

What I'm saying is that for those of you playing this game again, IUCU sounds like an excellent program that hardly anyone bothers with.

36 minutes ago, MaoistTowelette said:

The UI-Champaign rejection letter was the kindest I've seen, and I've seen 'em all. 

But, weirdly, it says that they accepted under 20% of applicants. Isn't that a way higher application-to-acceptance ratio than everywhere else? 

That means if they accepted 5 people, they did so out of a pool of 25 applicants; if 10 out of 5, and 10 seems like a high yield this year. 

What I'm saying is that for those of you playing this game again, IUCU sounds like an excellent program that hardly anyone bothers with.

That does seem insanely high, especially given the numbers this cycle and how popular a school they've been in previous cycle. Perhaps they typoed and meant to say 2%? That would suggest a pool of over 250 which is closer to the numbers from other schools.

The cynical perspective might see the 20%, if not an error, to be a ploy to suggest that it's worth applying to the school; but this would be cruel, disingenuous, and would clash with what you've said about their letter.

Of course, if it is simply the truth then holy shit, why is no one applying to UI-Champaign?

2 hours ago, MaoistTowelette said:

In the past, they have mentioned accepting 1 of every 7 applicants or so.

They do have a Dashboard though which can be found here. If you click on LAS, you can click on ENG. Clicking on F2020, it looks like 92 people applied, 23 were accepted, and 12 enrolled in their masters/phd program. For their straight to PHD program, it looks like 43 people applied, 15 were admitted, and 6 enrolled.

It might be worth mentioning that many factors can determine how many people apply in any given year. Years ago, UIUC made news because the university threatened to take away tuition waivers. The English Department also hosts two other departments so they might internally fight for allocation of spots which might cause further divides. There might be additional things that universities offer that might cause students to apply elsewhere which might also determine rank down the line. (I remember UCD making some major changes years ago which seems to have paid off in attracting more applicants to take notice of their program which might've also caused other programs to pay more attention to their program. Ultimately, ranking by USNews is determined by the few administrators who give feedback and other programs and publicity of a program is often key to getting ranked more favorably.

USNews doesn't take into account how many people apply to a program but changing the structure of a program might lead to an increase of applications from students which might lead to other programs paying attention to what your program is doing. We also know that some schools are outperforming other schools that are ranked "better" than them which might also determine ultimately of who applies where. Funding, practices and location might also be a deterrent of who can apply where.

2 hours ago, Warelin said:

In the past, they have mentioned accepting 1 of every 7 applicants or so.

They do have a Dashboard though which can be found here. If you click on LAS, you can click on ENG. Clicking on F2020, it looks like 92 people applied, 23 were accepted, and 12 enrolled in their masters/phd program. For their straight to PHD program, it looks like 43 people applied, 15 were admitted, and 6 enrolled.

It might be worth mentioning that many factors can determine how many people apply in any given year. Years ago, UIUC made news because the university threatened to take away tuition waivers. The English Department also hosts two other departments so they might internally fight for allocation of spots which might cause further divides. There might be additional things that universities offer that might cause students to apply elsewhere which might also determine rank down the line. (I remember UCD making some major changes years ago which seems to have paid off in attracting more applicants to take notice of their program which might've also caused other programs to pay more attention to their program. Ultimately, ranking by USNews is determined by the few administrators who give feedback and other programs and publicity of a program is often key to getting ranked more favorably.

USNews doesn't take into account how many people apply to a program but changing the structure of a program might lead to an increase of applications from students which might lead to other programs paying attention to what your program is doing. We also know that some schools are outperforming other schools that are ranked "better" than them which might also determine ultimately of who applies where. Funding, practices and location might also be a deterrent of who can apply where.

Oh wow I had no idea any program had such high acceptance rates, even if temporarily.

Hi! I know this is mainly for PhD applicants, but I am wondering if any Oregon State University MA applicants are planning on turning down their offers? I have a few acceptances to MA programs (4 on the east coast and 2 on the west coast) that I would remove myself from if so. 

3 hours ago, angrychalupa said:

I just accepted an offer for UC Davis Comp Lit. Now sitting around in terror. Anyone currently attending/planning on attending for English?

I've accepted my offer from Davis to their English program! Send me a DM if you'd like and we can exchange our worries/excitements!

Long time lurker; first time poster. It looks like there is some movement on the UCONN waiting list. It seems there are a few of us waiting to hear. The poster on the main admission results page noted they are likely to decline. If anyone has any insight to share, I would be grateful. Many thanks and good luck to all!

I emailed the program I'm waitlisted at last Monday because at the end of February they told me to email them again "later next month" if I still hadn't heard anything. They still haven't responded to the email I sent on Monday. How long do I wait before trying to reach out again? They were super responsive and positive the first time I contacted them to ask about my application status so this is giving me bad vibes. 

On 4/4/2021 at 1:10 AM, Not_a_Robot22 said:

I emailed the program I'm waitlisted at last Monday because at the end of February they told me to email them again "later next month" if I still hadn't heard anything. They still haven't responded to the email I sent on Monday. How long do I wait before trying to reach out again? They were super responsive and positive the first time I contacted them to ask about my application status so this is giving me bad vibes. 

Were they on Spring Break last week? It was the week before Easter and that's sometimes a popular week for it. I'd say wait until the end of today and then email them again. Or try calling.

15 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Just got an email that I'm now at the top of the waitlist at Boston College. Fingers crossed! I'd love to see a five + year dream/goal achieved and never have to go through an admissions cycle again ?

YES! This is such amazing news-fingers crossed for you!  ?

Just in case any of those who have been offered funding by Temple Eng. Dept and still have not accepted the offer is reading me, I would really appreciate that you decline the TA as soon as possible if you do not intend to attend. I am in a crossroads at the moment and I might lose the opportunity to start pursuing the PhD next Fall if any of you declines on 15th April or around that date. So please, try to be respectful in this sense (and same to any of those who don't really want to go to an institution but remain undecided. Your rejection might be very valuable for others).

Btw, @cassidyaxxcongrats! I'm so happy for you ?? Let's hope for the best.

I accepted an offer from the waitlist at University of Delaware, which was one of my top choices from the beginning - so everyone: don't lose hope! I think this will be a big week as far as people making choices, shifting lists, etc. 

I'm taking myself out of consideration at KU - hopefully that adjusts something for someone :)

Also, @cassidyaxxthat's amazing news! I'm sending very positive vibes for you (and I'm currently on the east coast, so they don't need to travel far!)

On 3/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, Ulise said:

In another forum they have discussed this whole PennState mess... but cannot remember where. I am waiting, too, desperately.

The rumor is that they will not respect the April 15th deadline this year and go for rolling admission (no waitlist; just admitting one by one)...

Also the one person who is already admitted and posted the results here said that they are changing their focus this year away from contemporary American to Renaissance stuff (,which I personally, as a "21st century American Lit"-gurl find super charming). 

Wow! That's crazy. They're the only school I'm waiting on. I'm like 98% I'm choosing another one, but now that I won't possibly hear from them until after April 15th means I'll most likely accept with the other school for sure since that's the national deadline. 

1 hour ago, The Maritime Scholar said:

Wow! That's crazy. They're the only school I'm waiting on. I'm like 98% I'm choosing another one, but now that I won't possibly hear from them until after April 15th means I'll most likely accept with the other school for sure since that's the national deadline. 

It is wild... But also: Don't take my word for it, of course. That's just things I saw discussed in other forums and in the result margins.

The only thing to do, as annoying as it is, is to wait, I fear. They still have ten days (to at least reject us, if nothing else :D).