2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

5 hours ago, higaisha said:

Anyone heard back from Western? Interviews are in two weeks, and with only 3 faculty recruiting (1 of which I know might not recruit at all), I wouldn't be surprised if Western end up not taking any students this year. 

I applied to the CDBS MSc program as a back-up this year and received an invitation from my POI last week (non-clinical faculty) to the formal interview day on Feb 5. I haven't received a formal invitation from the department yet but apparently this is to come soon.

8 hours ago, Psychqueen said:

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard from York, SCCP (OISE), Concordia or McMaster yet? TIA!

York received a TON of applications this year to the clinical program. They're still sorting through applications; I'd be surprised if many/any had heard from York yet.

I don’t know if anyone has attended an open house yet this year but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how the virtual aspect was? Maybe a bit on what to expect?

From what I’ve heard most programs structure it (pre-pandemic) as follows: 1) a group meeting where research in several labs are presented 2) discussion and question period about the clinical program 3) lab tours - when you and your competition meet your POIs grad students and ask questions and when you are both interviewed by your POI. If this is the case, how will this look virtually? In general does anyone have advice on how to prepare for an open house and/or the interview with your competition present? 

10 hours ago, clinical_psych said:

I don’t know if anyone has attended an open house yet this year but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how the virtual aspect was? Maybe a bit on what to expect?

From what I’ve heard most programs structure it (pre-pandemic) as follows: 1) a group meeting where research in several labs are presented 2) discussion and question period about the clinical program 3) lab tours - when you and your competition meet your POIs grad students and ask questions and when you are both interviewed by your POI. If this is the case, how will this look virtually? In general does anyone have advice on how to prepare for an open house and/or the interview with your competition present? 

I interviewed last week with my POI for Ryerson and they mentioned a virtual open house for early February where they will essentially do a walk through of the labs over the video. He didn't mention whether it would be interactive in terms of whether applicants would be asked to speak up. In terms of speaking with grad students, my POI connected me with his current MA student and I had a separate follow up video call with her. Normally, we would speak with current students during the interview day/open house. However, seems like this year, they may just be having us have zoom calls with the students. Hope this helps!

14 hours ago, clinical_psych said:

I went to Queens' back in the fall and it was one big zoom call for the entire psych department, then a smaller separate one for clinical, and then an even smaller one for your POI's lab - no lab tours or anything, but the grad students were also there in the call. Although this was before the app deadline so it was open to all. Perhaps it would be structured differently for shortlisted applicants but I can't really see why it would look much different, aside from actual interviews being held.

Had two Zoom pre-interviews this week- completely nerve wracking and I don't have the slightest clue how I did. I actually hate this whole process!! Feel free to dm for details but I have limited info.

School: Queen's

Program: Clinical MSc

Interview type: 30-min Zoom chat with PI

Date of Invite: Jan 14, had pre-interview yesterday

School: Calgary

Program: Clinical MSc

Interview type: 30-min Zoom chat with PI

Date of Invite: Jan 14, had pre-interview today

School: Western

Program: (NOT CLINICAL) Cog, Dev, Brain Sciences MSc program

Interview type: Invited to formal interview on Feb 5. The invitation was written by a clinical faculty member and it looked general to all Psychology grad applicants so this may have also went out to invited clinical applicants but I can't confirm that

Date of Invite: Today

20 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

School: Western

Program: (NOT CLINICAL) Cog, Dev, Brain Sciences MSc program

Interview type: Invited to formal interview on Feb 5. The invitation was written by a clinical faculty member and it looked general to all Psychology grad applicants so this may have also went out to invited clinical applicants but I can't confirm that

Date of Invite: Today

This is informative (looks like an official mass invite), thank you and best of luck!

hi everyone! i'm new to this forum but i saw someone asking about Dal so i thought i'd reply here. i received an acceptance email last wednesday (jan 13th) and my official offer today. my POI did let me know that offers are sent out on a rolling basis, with a super small percentage sent out in january. people have been admitted as late as april, so please don't stress if you're still waiting to hear back!

other interviews i have had and am waiting to hear back from are queen's, waterloo, and UBC. good luck to everyone!! ☺️

8 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

I interviewed last week with my POI for Ryerson and they mentioned a virtual open house for early February where they will essentially do a walk through of the labs over the video. He didn't mention whether it would be interactive in terms of whether applicants would be asked to speak up. In terms of speaking with grad students, my POI connected me with his current MA student and I had a separate follow up video call with her. Normally, we would speak with current students during the interview day/open house. However, seems like this year, they may just be having us have zoom calls with the students. Hope this helps!

Thank you! That is very helpful!

3 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

I went to Queens' back in the fall and it was one big zoom call for the entire psych department, then a smaller separate one for clinical, and then an even smaller one for your POI's lab - no lab tours or anything, but the grad students were also there in the call. Although this was before the app deadline so it was open to all. Perhaps it would be structured differently for shortlisted applicants but I can't really see why it would look much different, aside from actual interviews being held.

Thank you, that’s helpful. Kind of what I imagined. 

1 hour ago, chamomile tea said:

hi everyone! i'm new to this forum but i saw someone asking about Dal so i thought i'd reply here. i received an acceptance email last wednesday (jan 13th) and my official offer today. my POI did let me know that offers are sent out on a rolling basis, with a super small percentage sent out in january. people have been admitted as late as april, so please don't stress if you're still waiting to hear back!

other interviews i have had and am waiting to hear back from are queen's, waterloo, and UBC. good luck to everyone!! ☺️

Congrats!!!!