PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

8 minutes ago, potlucknopotatosalad said:

A co worker of mine applied to SBS as well, and she applied to HT and KK. I don't think she has heard from anyone just yet. I don't think she met with them for any pre-interviews...... I applied to EPI and am still waiting as well. Who did you apply to? 

Hi, good to know POI of SBS, to whom your coworker applied. I mentioned few POI in statement and application. Didn't hear from them yet. 

I hope all of us could hear back from those program we applied to in the next few days..

This is my first time applying to doctoral program but still hope there is a chance to get into my dream program..

On 1/16/2021 at 7:55 AM, Ajrw said:

By any chance has anyone heard from UNC's DrPH program? It looked like interviews had mostly gone out around now in 2020. I've only applied there and hopkins' DrPH as I plan to keep working full time but they're competitive so I'm not getting hopes up!

I heard that UNC’s DrPH program received hundreds of applications for the Fall 2021 cohort. Interviews took place in February 2020 with decisions by March 2020 but the same timeline will not fit for this year due to the large applicant pool. 

24 minutes ago, Megsabrina said:

I heard that UNC’s DrPH program received hundreds of applications for the Fall 2021 cohort. Interviews took place in February 2020 with decisions by March 2020 but the same timeline will not fit for this year due to the large applicant pool. 

Thanks for this helpful info!

For those of you who may be looking for programs to apply to next year in MCH, I found a listing of schools that are federally funded "Centers of Excellence" in MCH. They not only provide technical assistance to communities but they also have a heavy focus on training doctoral and master's students to pick up the mantle. 

Note that there are a ton of great programs not listed here that also focus on MCH, they just don't have the same federal backing. Thought I'd share, since my search did not include many of these and would have if I had known. 

https://mchb.hrsa.gov/training/projects.asp?program=17

Do any of you have CHES/MCHES or CPH certifcations?  Should I bother getting these to make my app more competitive for next year since I have minimal research experience? 

Have any of you that have been accepted had minimal research experience? Does anyone know of programs that don't require an extensive list of publications/research experience? 

I applied to 1 program back in 2017, got an interview, but did not get accepted (They only accepted 1 student). They wanted me to apply the following year, but unfortunately, I was not able to.  

Unfortunately I got laid off due to covid, unable to find a remote job (I now have a 1 yr old), so I really want to take this time to strengthen my application, reach out to faculty early, and just make sure I'm doing everything I can to increase my chances of acceptance.  I'll also be applying to multiple schools this time around.  

2 hours ago, hccgrl said:

Do any of you have CHES/MCHES or CPH certifcations?  Should I bother getting these to make my app more competitive for next year since I have minimal research experience? 

Have any of you that have been accepted had minimal research experience? Does anyone know of programs that don't require an extensive list of publications/research experience? 

I applied to 1 program back in 2017, got an interview, but did not get accepted (They only accepted 1 student). They wanted me to apply the following year, but unfortunately, I was not able to.  

Unfortunately I got laid off due to covid, unable to find a remote job (I now have a 1 yr old), so I really want to take this time to strengthen my application, reach out to faculty early, and just make sure I'm doing everything I can to increase my chances of acceptance.  I'll also be applying to multiple schools this time around.  

I don't have any of these certifications and was able to get three interviews so far, so I'm not so sure that they are a deciding factor. Someone jump in if I'm wrong though... I do have two publications but they were never brought up in my interviews, which makes me think that they don't necessarily look for publications, just an aptitude for research. Do you have research experience? If so, that may be more than enough--when paired with strong letters and a stellar SOP. If not, I'd take a look at virtual research assistant gigs (even if the pay is meh), or possibly volunteering at a nonprofit think tank or advocacy center (e.g., March of Dimes) that will provide opportunities to touch data or white papers. That was going to be my plan if I hadn't gotten in anywhere this go round. 

P.S. I'm also a mama to an almost-toddler, so I know where you're coming from. Trying to work but not get sick. Trying to get the right experience to be competitive but not get sick. Trying to... you get it. It's exhausting. I wish you the best this go round with your apps. Please DM me if there's anything I can help with since I think we have similar interests!

Edited by MCH_Hopeful_2021

53 minutes ago, fingazntoescrossd said:

Haven't heard back from Brown for the HSR PhD. Safe to assume that it's a done deal at this point?

I also applied to Brown HSR PhD. No news yet. I’m assuming I’m not getting an interview from them.

On 1/16/2021 at 4:39 PM, hopeful2020PhD said:

At Harvard, the timing of interviews differ by department, and within epi, timing differs by track/specialization. Last year, I was invited to interview after many of my friends had already completed their interviews for HSPH Epi. I got in. Don't stress yet. 

Thank you for the information hopeful2020PhD. I’ve been anxiously waiting to hear back from Harvard’s PHS program. Do you think at this time all interviews have been sent out?

How has everyone been coping with the post-applying, pre-decision anxiety? I'm still waiting on a decision from my top school, and have gotten into an awful habit of checking my e-mail way too often (even on the weekends and on holidays!). Was just wondering how you all are dealing with this anxiety during this time? 

Wishing everyone the best of luck! ?

12 minutes ago, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

How has everyone been coping with the post-applying, pre-decision anxiety? I'm still waiting on a decision from my top school, and have gotten into an awful habit of checking my e-mail way too often (even on the weekends and on holidays!). Was just wondering how you all are dealing with this anxiety during this time? 

Wishing everyone the best of luck! ?

I feel you! I had two interviews and now i'm playing the waiting game. It really sucks to wait.

9 hours ago, hccgrl said:

I don't think it adds anything to the competitiveness of your application... If anything, I would use the time to do more research and get published. The more publications, the better. 

1 minute ago, Epi_researchjunkie said:

Has anyone heard from UNC PhD in epi program ? Does anyone if they conduct interviews? 

I also applied to this program and haven't heard back, but it's a reach program for me.

Edited by katevinita

2 hours ago, Epi_researchjunkie said:

Thank you for the information hopeful2020PhD. I’ve been anxiously waiting to hear back from Harvard’s PHS program. Do you think at this time all interviews have been sent out?

Last year I recieved my interview invite on January 21st. Also, this year applications are up >50%, so the recruitment process could take longer than usual. But, I honestly don't know.