PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

27 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

Anyone know if Hopkins depts/tracks send out the decisions on the same day every year? Getting anxious because last year they sent out invites on this day (for my track). I know I should just chill out and be patient...

I’m not familiar w Hopkins timeline but I know a lot of schools are sending decisions a bit later this year due to the increased volume of apps for all programs. But even though I know things will be delayed a bit it doesn’t stop me from worrying about it still lol

On 1/27/2021 at 10:03 PM, psychhopeful19 said:

I applied to a mixture of Global and Services/Policy (LK, RM, JB)- my research interests overlap in both and from the informational I attended they said the department likes collaborative work between the faculty 

That is very exciting! I applied to the program as well, and applied to RJ and RM. I haven't heard from the department just yet. I have googled some of the current students (both MHS and PHD) to see if they had linkedin/ researchgate pages (lol.......I thought it may be informative to know their stats....some of them had several publications before being admitted.... which makes me nervous)

GOOD LUCK..... HOPEFULLY WE ALL GET IN SOON! 

1 hour ago, EHS_7812 said:

Haven't seen many other people talking about PhD applications for Environmental Health/Environmental and Occupation Health programs, but wanted to bring in my info for any other EHS applicants. 

I applied to GW, Columbia, Drexel, Boston, Temple, Berkeley, and Hopkins. 

Had a faculty interview for Drexel last week, and for Berkeley yesterday. No contact from the other programs at all yet. 

I am also applying to EHS or Epi with EH focus. I've been invited/interviewed with UC Irvine, Brown, and Emory. I am also waiting to hear from Hopkins, Columbia, and GW.

5 hours ago, cs4152008 said:

Happy Friday everyone! Wanted to share that I got an interview with Nevada. Not a crazy top ranked program like some of you guys :) but I’m pumped to finally hear news. I’m a little untraditional of an applicant with no formal research experience and limited publications so it felt nice to get an interview invite! 

You guys are so supportive! Thank you!

1 hour ago, DrPH2021 said:

Anyone have feedback on UNC DrPH such as an an email to interview or a rejection?

Nothing yet here. It looked like interview invites had gone out by now last year. Don't go by me though! I am an unconventional candidate so am not really expecting an interview given the competitiveness this year.

Just FYI: 

For those that applied to Boston University PhD Epi, this is the latest information I got:

they received over 300 applications for only 5 spots and confirmed that several competitive applicants have been invited to a Prospective Doctoral Day, but final decisions have not been made yet and will be released by mid-march.

2 hours ago, denify said:

Just FYI: 

For those that applied to Boston University PhD Epi, this is the latest information I got:

they received over 300 applications for only 5 spots and confirmed that several competitive applicants have been invited to a Prospective Doctoral Day, but final decisions have not been made yet and will be released by mid-march.

This just completely broke my heart, but I really appreciate the information! 

6 hours ago, SkylarS said:

Has anyone received any notification from the PhD in Epidemiology and Clinical Research at Stanford and PhD in Epidemiology at Vanderbilt ? Thanks!

Nothing from Vanderbilt yet. I was told by a student at VU that, their prospective student welcome day is February 18th.

Edited by GHAddict

If anyone else applied to Tulane's DrPH program, just know they are revamping the program... So I'm not sure what that will mean for anyone starting fall 2021. I was on a zoom open house the other day where the SBPS faculty and staff mentioned this. In the chat, I had a question (can't remember what) and the program manager asked me to email her on whether or not I would want to roll my application over to the next admissions cycle (because of how they're changing the program structure).

Because I've already applied to 5 programs for Fall 2021, I don't necessarily want to let the prospect of Tulane go, for the potential of getting into other schools... And what would be worse would be if I ended up not getting into Tulane for Fal 2022 lol. Basically, part of me wants to know whether IF I were to get in, could I just defer enrollment by a year? That way if I were to be accepted into other programs, I'd be able to make a more informed decision.

ANYWAY! Just wanted folks to get that little bit of information.

1 hour ago, DarkPassenger said:

How open are schools, in general, to students deferring admission?

It's highly dependent on the school/program. Some don't mind, some only allow deferment under special circumstances, and some don't allow it at all.

15 minutes ago, phdorbust21 said:

Hey, if you're comfortable, would you mind sharing your reasons for thinking about deferring? I'm also seriously considering it given the pandemic...

For sure! My reasoning:

1. The pandemic really sucks. It has a taken a toll on my mental health (and for so many others). Deferring would allow me to clear my head before entering a rigorous program by possibly taking some time off.

2. I want things to go back to normal (although no guarantee) so I can get the most out of my university experience. If I begin Fall 2022 instead of 2021, it is likely that classes will be in-person or things will be almost back to normal (big assumption, but that is my hope). I want to be able to meet my classmates, professors, engage in other activities. I don't want to end up paying tons of money for me to just sit at home and attend online classes (even if it would only be for the first year).

3. Costs. I'm a CDN applicant, and thus, funding/scholarship opportunities are limited for me. A deferral would allow me to continue working and save up money so I am more financially comfortable, while also allowing me to apply more broadly for scholarships I am eligible for.

Just my thoughts -- are these reasonable things? Would love to hear yours as well.

Edited by DarkPassenger