*I is stressed* venting thread for Fall 2020 Applicants

justacigar

the stress of waiting between interviews is too real! i've been trying to learn to bake (can't get a lot of my favorite german sweets in the us - or at least not near me), so i'm sending you all virtual cookies as comfort ❤️ we got this

On 1/23/2020 at 10:25 AM, PsyZei said:

It honestly has the feel of a moving goal post. I think you are right and different professors/programs are looking for different things. I think we just be ourselves during the interviews and do the best we can to think on our feet in order to show willingness to work within/contribute in a positive manner the program and that's the best we can do.

This! All we can do is be ourselves since there is no magic formula and we want to be sure wherever we get in we'll be appreciated and valued. It's like dating. If you're hoping to get married you don't fake your way through dates just trying to be what you think they want. You seek out a pairing that works really well for both sides. You would never marry someone just because other people thought they were the best, but you had to fake who you were to get them to fall in love with you. Be your shiniest, authentic self. Remember this is a relationship you'll have to be "married" to for 5-6 years, that will set up the rest of your career. 

11 hours ago, Psych1st said:

I know interview season just started but.. is anyone else feeling super impatient post interviews?? 

Yes! I had an interview this past weekend and felt GREAT the whole time and the few days after (we stayed to explore the city a bit). But then when I woke up yesterday (Monday) morning, I felt totally paralyzed and was checking my email constantly. I really loved the program and the city is somewhere we could build a great life so now I'm stuck in this "oh my god, they're not going to accept me" loop ?

43 minutes ago, PsychPhdBound said:

Yes! I had an interview this past weekend and felt GREAT the whole time and the few days after (we stayed to explore the city a bit). But then when I woke up yesterday (Monday) morning, I felt totally paralyzed and was checking my email constantly. I really loved the program and the city is somewhere we could build a great life so now I'm stuck in this "oh my god, they're not going to accept me" loop ?

This is my EXACT situation... Here's to trying to stay sane! 

WOW you guys, I just found out that one of my POI's received over 200 applications from students wanting to work in her lab. That is absolute insanity!! It is also a good reminder that sometimes the statistical odds are just plain stacked against you. I was feeling super down about this program but now I completely understand - to stand out in a sea of 200 other qualified applicants has to be near impossible, and I'm just not at that level. It's really helping me be more realistic and objective about the entire process. 

2 hours ago, justacigar said:

WOW you guys, I just found out that one of my POI's received over 200 applications from students wanting to work in her lab. That is absolute insanity!! It is also a good reminder that sometimes the statistical odds are just plain stacked against you. I was feeling super down about this program but now I completely understand - to stand out in a sea of 200 other qualified applicants has to be near impossible, and I'm just not at that level. It's really helping me be more realistic and objective about the entire process. 

I know a prof who did admissions for a clinical psych PhD program for 15 years. He said that those numbers are inflated by students who aren't actually qualified in one way or another but submit applications anyway. He says the true number of actually qualified applicants is around 50. 

Which is still a big number and once you get down to it, those are the cream of the crop. So still impressive if you get an interview, or understandable if you don't. But the numbers aren't that big (in case anyone was getting intimidated). 

Hi everyone!

This is my first go around at applying to programs, and it's looking like I'll be trying again next fall. I applied to 5 programs and didn't receive any interview invites.

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how I can strengthen my application for the next cycle. Some stats:

GRE: 155Q/160V/5.5W

GRE Psych: 690

Undergrad: Business Administration (Psychology and French minors); GPA 3.99

Research: no publications, though currently contributing to a manuscript through writing drafts + lit searches, 4 months entry-level research experience at a hospital in NYC. Beginning a full-time research position at a different research center next month, and the lab seems productive and promising.

My guess is that the main factor was the lack of research experience, but I'm not totally sure.

Thank you so much, and congratulations to those of you who are in the interviewing process!

2 hours ago, babybokchoy said:

Hi everyone!

This is my first go around at applying to programs, and it's looking like I'll be trying again next fall. I applied to 5 programs and didn't receive any interview invites.

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how I can strengthen my application for the next cycle. Some stats:

Research: no publications, though currently contributing to a manuscript through writing drafts + lit searches, 4 months entry-level research experience at a hospital in NYC. Beginning a full-time research position at a different research center next month, and the lab seems productive and promising.

My guess is that the main factor was the lack of research experience, but I'm not totally sure.

Thank you so much, and congratulations to those of you who are in the interviewing process!

It's likely lack of experience. Some people applying already have several pubs/talks/papers to their name. 

It's a process, but I hope the next cycle is better. You may even consider taking a year off to get more experience with your new lab, maybe even write a paper, and then apply Fall 2021. Not a lot can happen from the prospective of basic productivity in 10 months given how slow science moves. 

Just now, Clinapp2017 said:

It's likely lack of experience. Some people applying already have several pubs/talks/papers to their name. 

It's a process, but I hope the next cycle is better. You may even consider taking a year off to get more experience with your new lab, maybe even write a paper, and then apply Fall 2021. Not a lot can happen from the prospective of basic productivity in 10 months given how slow science moves. 

My situation may be slightly different but I went from 0 interviews Fall 2018  to 6 interviews Fall 2019 because of how I spent the 10 months in between. It's definitely possible! 

14 hours ago, PsychLu said:

I know a prof who did admissions for a clinical psych PhD program for 15 years. He said that those numbers are inflated by students who aren't actually qualified in one way or another but submit applications anyway. He says the true number of actually qualified applicants is around 50. 

Which is still a big number and once you get down to it, those are the cream of the crop. So still impressive if you get an interview, or understandable if you don't. But the numbers aren't that big (in case anyone was getting intimidated). 

I still think its a big number, because the number of applications in general to this program (and most I applied to) are around 250 - 350. So, the chunk of applications going to the specific lab I applied to is an insane percentage. Of course there will be wildly unqualified applicants, but the likelihood of standing out is still fairly small. 

Just now, Justice4All said:

My situation may be slightly different but I went from 0 interviews Fall 2018  to 6 interviews Fall 2019 because of how I spent the 10 months in between. It's definitely possible! 

I agree it's possible, it's just not usually the modal experience for people who don't have a current research background... the important thing is you strengthen your application, and each year you are making improvements. However, I would argue that most people would be stronger after 1.5 years as an RA vs. 0.5 years. 

has anyone received an acceptance through a portal/email from the graduate school but no personal contact from the poi? should i email them and thank them for recommending me for acceptance or just ... chill?

5 hours ago, babybokchoy said:

Hi everyone!

I definitely think the research experience will help you next time around - and depending on your research center, you may even be able to get a first author publication out of that! Because everything else looks competitive. Best of luck :) 

5 hours ago, babybokchoy said:

Hi everyone!

It may even be your GRE coupled with lack of experience. I have 10 publications spanning 5 years, a Masters in Psychology, and a 150/153/4.5 GRE. I haven't heard a peep from any programs.

Hi everyone,

I am a first time Clincal PhD applicant and I haven't heard anything at all from the two programs that I applied to. No rejection, no interview, nothing. I have been stalking the forums and posted results page since I found this website and there's only one posted result for UO's Fall 2020 Clinical PhD program and it's a rejection.

I'm worried and impatient and I guess I was wondering if maybe anyone else applied to the University of Oregon's Clinical PhD program and heard anything back yet?

On 1/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, mmmmcoffee said:

has anyone received an acceptance through a portal/email from the graduate school but no personal contact from the poi? should i email them and thank them for recommending me for acceptance or just ... chill?

Wait. That can happen??? I’d email the POI and thank them so you’d at least have contact.

13 minutes ago, socialneurofriend said:

Wait. That can happen??? I’d email the POI and thank them so you’d at least have contact.

to be clear, i've talked to them in person a couple times so we've had contact before, just not about the acceptance. but yeah, i'm probably going to email them soon because i know some people got phone calls

4 hours ago, Sammi S said:

Hi everyone,

I am a first time Clincal PhD applicant and I haven't heard anything at all from the two programs that I applied to. No rejection, no interview, nothing. I have been stalking the forums and posted results page since I found this website and there's only one posted result for UO's Fall 2020 Clinical PhD program and it's a rejection.

I'm worried and impatient and I guess I was wondering if maybe anyone else applied to the University of Oregon's Clinical PhD program and heard anything back yet?

They finished sending out invites a long time ago, the interview is this weekend. No official rejections have gone out yet.

29 minutes ago, Psychological Yam said:

is it a good sign if a school i interviewed at hasn't accepted me yet but told me that they nominated me for a fellowship and are waiting to hear back? 

I would tentatively say yes? They are most likely waiting to hear about the fellowship so that they can discuss funding with you. Or perhaps that would be the source of funding, and if it doesn't come through they can't make you an offer.