*I is stressed* venting thread for Fall 2020 Applicants

justacigar

2 hours ago, noboby said:

Just got my first rejection this morning. I applied 24 schools and only got 1 interview. Only 7 of them haven't send out interview yet. While writing those down, I know that may be I will not be able to get into any school this year. I can still remember the recruiting season in 2018. Everyone were sharing the interview they got, and I wake up with a email saying "Thank you for your interest, but we are sorry that..." every day. I ended up with getting no job in 2018. It was really a nightmare for me.

May be the next few week will be the same. May be I ended up with having a debt over $3,000, spending all these time and effort but got no offer. But this time I do not feel bad about this. Not getting into any program isn't a really bad thing. I will have more time to explore what is academic, finish reading my list and journal in my home, gain more experience in industry, and may be even prepare my own paper, before entering a better program. 

What make me feel bad, is a regret for my family, my friends and my professors. I know how lucky I am to have them support me. They helped me collect information about schools and sometimes keep discussing with me on this until 1 am in the morning (as December was busy season for my current job, I work until 9-10 pm). My professors are nice: submitted all the recommandation letter really quickly (1-2days after sending email request) and are always saying, "best wishes to your application!". I am thankful for all they have done for me. Getting a bad result makes me feel that I wasted their time and let them down. I don't know how to share this news to my professors, although I do really want to talk to them and see want can I do to improve myself in the future. 

Feel free to give any advice about how to communicate the result with my family, my friends and my professors. 

Hey!

this is my third year applying. I thought I was a solid choice my first year and it really took me hammering out my ideas over the past two years. Dm me if you want to talk more - I can give you my breakdowns and all that shit and advice I got! don’t give up hope, and if you can’t do it this year then another year!!

21 hours ago, noboby said:

Just got my first rejection this morning. I applied 24 schools and only got 1 interview. Only 7 of them haven't send out interview yet. While writing those down, I know that may be I will not be able to get into any school this year. I can still remember the recruiting season in 2018. Everyone were sharing the interview they got, and I wake up with a email saying "Thank you for your interest, but we are sorry that..." every day. I ended up with getting no job in 2018. It was really a nightmare for me.

May be the next few week will be the same. May be I ended up with having a debt over $3,000, spending all these time and effort but got no offer. But this time I do not feel bad about this. Not getting into any program isn't a really bad thing. I will have more time to explore what is academic, finish reading my list and journal in my home, gain more experience in industry, and may be even prepare my own paper, before entering a better program. 

What make me feel bad, is a regret for my family, my friends and my professors. I know how lucky I am to have them support me. They helped me collect information about schools and sometimes keep discussing with me on this until 1 am in the morning (as December was busy season for my current job, I work until 9-10 pm). My professors are nice: submitted all the recommandation letter really quickly (1-2days after sending email request) and are always saying, "best wishes to your application!". I am thankful for all they have done for me. Getting a bad result makes me feel that I wasted their time and let them down. I don't know how to share this news to my professors, although I do really want to talk to them and see want can I do to improve myself in the future. 

Feel free to give any advice about how to communicate the result with my family, my friends and my professors. 

I felt the same, especially how difficult it is to talk about the results to such supportive family members. It is my first year applying and I am rejected from around 10 PHD programs I applied for. I was trying to not say anything about the bad results after receiving them because I wanted to have some good news to share instead. However, I did not get any. But it is okay because we challenged ourselves and got to know ourselves better in this process. I believe your family members will support you as always. Nobody could predict the results before doing the application. I believe the relationships between every family member definitely deepened during the time. And, I wish you can hear some good news from the rest of the schools!

22 hours ago, noboby said:

1 hour ago, joy66888 said:

I felt the same, especially how difficult it is to talk about the results to such supportive family members. It is my first year applying and I am rejected from around 10 PHD programs I applied for. I was trying to not say anything about the bad results after receiving them because I wanted to have some good news to share instead. However, I did not get any. But it is okay because we challenged ourselves and got to know ourselves better in this process. I believe your family members will support you as always. Nobody could predict the results before doing the application. I believe the relationships between every family member definitely deepened during the time. And, I wish you can hear some good news from the rest of the schools!

I agree with what joy66888 said--I feel like my relationships deepened with my family when I told them about my rejections. I don't want to explain too much, but applying for a clinical psych program this year for me was pretty risky and not a decision I believed my family supported in the beginning. When I finally broke down and told my mother about the outcome of my application process, we had such a good conversation that reminded me one super important thing: no matter what happens in my life, I'm surrounded by so much unconditional love. My family, my partner, and my friends have all shown me that over the past few months. As difficult as this process has been, it's also allowed me to realize that I'm cared for no matter what.

Please don't underestimate how compassionate people can be and also how universal rejection and failure is. We all know what it's like. Especially your professors, who have all gone through their unique journeys to get their degree that's surely riddled with failures and difficulties. They'll understand more than you think, and I promise they won't think less of you.

Good luck. I hope this next week brings you lots of joy.

Had my one and only interview this past weekend! I absolutely loved the program, my POI, and the grad students. I'm just trying not to keep my hopes up too high. Knowing this is my only chance to get into a program this year + really liking the program makes the wait that much more difficult.

I’m freaking out... I am currently in Milwaukee for an interview tomorrow morning and they got 6 inches of rain today unexpectedly. The outfit I brought for tomorrow has small heels and I’m worried I’ll either slip or look dumb for wearing heels when there’s snow on the ground or both.. please help me calm my anxiety. Do I need to go to a store in the morning before going to the interview to buy new shoes? I’m wearing dress pants with a blouse and blazer

How comfortable are you in walking in those heels? No one will think you look dumb. If anything, they will assume you either changed into them or that you didn't pack multiple shoes (most people pack light). If you really don't think you can walk in those heels outside, see if you can get a cheap pair of rain/snow boots at a Walmart or something to wear outside and then change into the nice shoes when you get inside. 

18 minutes ago, clinicalpsych.2020 said:

I’m freaking out... I am currently in Milwaukee for an interview tomorrow morning and they got 6 inches of rain today unexpectedly. The outfit I brought for tomorrow has small heels and I’m worried I’ll either slip or look dumb for wearing heels when there’s snow on the ground or both.. please help me calm my anxiety. Do I need to go to a store in the morning before going to the interview to buy new shoes? I’m wearing dress pants with a blouse and blazer

I would try not to freak out too much about your shoes. I ended up wearing my chelsea boots instead of my dress shoes because it was raining all day and we had to travel to the clinic site. I just opted for what was more practical and comfortable for me, but many people were also wearing high heels in the rain and no one said anything or cared that I could tell. If you need snow shoes, go for it but no one will judge your heels either! 

Hi y'all...anxiety post here

I have my first (and only) PhD interview this week. It is at my top program, and it is my only chance this year to get into a PhD program.I have an interview at a Master's program that I also like, but I would love to jump straight into PhD. I love absolutely everything about the program and I truly believe I am a great fit for them (i'm really not just saying that!). However, that doesn't change the fact that I am nervous as HELL. 

I am less nervous for the interview (because I feel like I have mock interviewed enough to at least having a basic idea of how to answer), and more nervous for things like the social and chunks of time between interviews to interact with current students and other applicants. I want to make a good impression and be myself, but I am worried about either coming across as TOO social or too reserved. 

I am also nervous that some of my answers are kind of long-winded, especially for questions such as "so tell me about yourself" "why are you a good fit for this program" "what are your strengths and weaknesses" etc. 

Also, I am in a cast and on crutches. The school really has bent over backwards to accommodate me which I am SO thankful for, but I'm worried about sticking out like a sore thumb or coming across as high maintenance. 

Overall, I guess I'm just nervous because I love the program so much and really want to make a good impression. There's really no point to this post, I just NEED to vent, lol.

Edited by psychologygeek
spelling error

7 hours ago, psychologygeek said:

Hi y'all...anxiety post here

I have my first (and only) PhD interview this week. It is at my top program, and it is my only chance this year to get into a PhD program.I have an interview at a Master's program that I also like, but I would love to jump straight into PhD. I love absolutely everything about the program and I truly believe I am a great fit for them (i'm really not just saying that!). However, that doesn't change the fact that I am nervous as HELL. 

I am less nervous for the interview (because I feel like I have mock interviewed enough to at least having a basic idea of how to answer), and more nervous for things like the social and chunks of time between interviews to interact with current students and other applicants. I want to make a good impression and be myself, but I am worried about either coming across as TOO social or too reserved. 

I am also nervous that some of my answers are kind of long-winded, especially for questions such as "so tell me about yourself" "why are you a good fit for this program" "what are your strengths and weaknesses" etc. 

Also, I am in a cast and on crutches. The school really has bent over backwards to accommodate me which I am SO thankful for, but I'm worried about sticking out like a sore thumb or coming across as high maintenance. 

Overall, I guess I'm just nervous because I love the program so much and really want to make a good impression. There's really no point to this post, I just NEED to vent, lol.

Hi! I don't have a lot of help to give you, but I did an interview weekend in crutches 2 weeks ago, and I have another one this weekend. Yeah, it kinda sucks. But people have been really nice about it for me. Wishing you the best!

23 hours ago, SocialPsych2018 said:

Hi! I don't have a lot of help to give you, but I did an interview weekend in crutches 2 weeks ago, and I have another one this weekend. Yeah, it kinda sucks. But people have been really nice about it for me. Wishing you the best!

Thank you! My mom said I should use it to my advantage lol

3 hours ago, Psithurisms said:

I had an interview a few weeks back and my POI told me that the earliest I could hear back was this week. I can not stop checking my email!!!! I could be waiting until April so I need to calm down. It has only been two days.

I feeeeeeeel this. The program I just interviewed at said offers would go out no later than March 1st, so this month I'm trying so hard to distract myself ?

10 hours ago, Psithurisms said:

I had an interview a few weeks back and my POI told me that the earliest I could hear back was this week. I can not stop checking my email!!!! I could be waiting until April so I need to calm down. It has only been two days.

7 hours ago, MadiB said:

I feeeeeeeel this. The program I just interviewed at said offers would go out no later than March 1st, so this month I'm trying so hard to distract myself ?

Right there with both of you. I am waiting to hear back about acceptance from my last top three school and then waiting to hear about funding. At this point I just want to know for sure where I'll be next year so I can start planning the move. I'm ready ?

This might be the best topic but screw it:

what happens after your acceptance?!?!? I’m so bored now and all I want is to talk to people in the program and hear back from my new advisor. 

PS to everyone venting about the challenges of getting in. This is my 3rd run. Every year I’ve improved myself and you can too!!!!

2017-5 applied, 0 interviews

2018-9 applied, 3 interviews

2019- 21 applied, 9 interviews, 4 acceptances, 1 waitlist.

if anyone needs advises, let me know. I can look over your stuff if you need insight for next year

As week three of post interview waiting nears an end.. I am almost numb to the waiting, I am searching for answers but also backup jobs, I am slowly drifting off to sea. I shall write back when I befriend a whale... 

But seriously, I am wondering how long it can take to hear back? Waiting until April sounds awful at this point. Trying to distract myself with all the cookies! 

2 minutes ago, Psych1st said:

As week three of post interview waiting nears an end.. I am almost numb to the waiting, I am searching for answers but also backup jobs, I am slowly drifting off to sea. I shall write back when I befriend a whale... 

But seriously, I am wondering how long it can take to hear back? Waiting until April sounds awful at this point. Trying to distract myself with all the cookies! 

The only program I've heard back from took over a month :) This is a smile of pain. 

On 2/12/2020 at 9:12 AM, Itzik said:

what happens after your acceptance?!?!? I’m so bored now and all I want is to talk to people in the program and hear back from my new advisor. 

Samesies.  I'm trying to be mindful that others I know haven't gotten final responses (or any responses) and not talk about it incessanrtly... but man I just want it to be August already!

17 hours ago, andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel said:

The only program I've heard back from took over a month :) This is a smile of pain. 

I feel for you- a month, oomph! I interviewed for my last top three program on Monday, and they said to expect results by the end of the week. It's Friday so... ? The suspense is killer.