*I is stressed* venting thread for Fall 2020 Applicants

justacigar

On 2/24/2020 at 2:00 PM, neuropsychnerd said:

Anyone else get their soul crushed when a potential PI talks about how they are SURE you have SO many offers and that they think you have an amazing career ahead of you...but then reject you? I know it's them trying to be nice, but when the reality is that I have no firm offers, it just adds insult to injury when they are asking me to contact them when I "decide where I'm going". 

Yes, this happened to me last year! She was so sure I had multiple offers and was so keen on making sure I picked her school and then I didn't even get an offer into the program! Granted, I don't think she had control over this but it made me feel so awkward and shitty.

On 2/24/2020 at 9:13 PM, rainydaychai said:

So much yes. As you said, I know they are trying to be cordial, but receiving these same sentiments multiple times last application cycle while getting no offers was pretty crushing. I have already promised to myself to never say this to an applicant if I'm ever a prof. ?

*raises hand* 

I know it's only polite, but yeah, I won't do that if I will be in their shoes. A nice "best of luck, you're a great applicant" is enough. 

On 2/24/2020 at 2:00 PM, neuropsychnerd said:

Anyone else get their soul crushed when a potential PI talks about how they are SURE you have SO many offers and that they think you have an amazing career ahead of you...but then reject you? I know it's them trying to be nice, but when the reality is that I have no firm offers, it just adds insult to injury when they are asking me to contact them when I "decide where I'm going". 

Just got this kind of message from a potential PI the other day! Yes, yes, and yes to this--I know they are trying to be extra kind, but a simpler rejection hurts less, please ?

On 2/24/2020 at 7:18 PM, Mister Belvedere said:

Never contact that PI again - that's your revenge ?

Do people follow up with the potential PIs who rejected them? Is this just a nice thing they say? Why do they want to know where I am going? Although a nice sentiment, it threw me off...

Hi,

Fairly new to all this! A master's student I work with in my research lab suggested maybe lurking around here would ease my stress. I'm a first time grad-applicant and finding it extremely stressful!!! I applied to 5 PhD Clinical Psych programs but I've only heard back from two (both rejections) and applied to 2 Master's and am currently finishing up my 3rd Master's application. I know there will still be some time before I hear back from my Master's apps as the earliest deadline was the 15th of February, but I'm mainly worried about the lack of response from the PhD programs. All 3 of my remaining applications state that they are all still under review. Should I give up hope? It seems by now most people have heard at least something back and I'm honestly ready to stop stressing over these applications. 

if anyone has any advice on what to do or how to handle, please let me know!!

5 minutes ago, Lex_U said:

Hi,

Fairly new to all this! A master's student I work with in my research lab suggested maybe lurking around here would ease my stress. I'm a first time grad-applicant and finding it extremely stressful!!! I applied to 5 PhD Clinical Psych programs but I've only heard back from two (both rejections) and applied to 2 Master's and am currently finishing up my 3rd Master's application. I know there will still be some time before I hear back from my Master's apps as the earliest deadline was the 15th of February, but I'm mainly worried about the lack of response from the PhD programs. All 3 of my remaining applications state that they are all still under review. Should I give up hope? It seems by now most people have heard at least something back and I'm honestly ready to stop stressing over these applications. 

if anyone has any advice on what to do or how to handle, please let me know!!

Hey,

so typically (not 100% of the time) if you don’t get an interview invite you should treat it as a rejection from a PhD program. So For the programs you are waiting on, go to the results page on this site and search the school and the program you applied to. If someone notes they got an interview in January for example,  you should treat that as you are rejected. Some people on here may reply and give you false hopes but take it from someone that has experience. It’s almost March, so I believe most clinical PhD programs have sent out interview invites already. Double check on the results page

30 minutes ago, clinicalpsych.2020 said:

I was waitlisted as a “high alternate” for my top choice :( What are some things y’all are doing to cope? What are the odds the spot will actually open up? And what even IS a high alternate? Next in line? Next next?

Wish we had an answer for this, to ease your mind, but we don't. Someone who knows the program might be more helpful.

However, being a high alternate means just that - that you are high ranked on the waitlist, so there is a chance. Some schools do long lists for waitlists, so a high alternate means you have a higher chance. However, you can be next in line and the person before you can accept or you can be next next and the two ranked above decline the offer. No way to tell what your chances are.

So - congrats on making it this far, just a little while to wait! If you find something to keep your mind off of this that would be great. Fingers crossed!

41 minutes ago, clinicalpsych.2020 said:

I was waitlisted as a “high alternate” for my top choice :( What are some things y’all are doing to cope? What are the odds the spot will actually open up? And what even IS a high alternate? Next in line? Next next?

CUDCP guidelines suggest using this term for an individual who would in a typical year get an offer before April 15th. Not a guarantee for sure, but good news!

50 minutes ago, Modulus said:

CUDCP guidelines suggest using this term for an individual who would in a typical year get an offer before April 15th. Not a guarantee for sure, but good news!

Thank you guys! I will just continue twiddling my thumbs and binging Mindhunter ?

15 minutes ago, 379337933793 said:

Okay so I had an interview 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. I've heard from all other programs I interviewed for but am holding out for this one. Is it too soon to email my POI? Should I wait another week or 2? 

If you have other acceptances I would reach out to the DCT at the school you’re waiting to hear from! They’ll understand and definitely give you an update. 

23 hours ago, clinicalpsych.2020 said:

Thank you guys! I will just continue twiddling my thumbs and binging Mindhunter ?

This happened to me two years ago and the program all but guaranteed me I would get off bc of that position. Low and behold, I never did and I was crushed bc I had been reassured so many times. Not to be a downer on your parade, but just want to give you another perspective so you don’t feel as crushed as I did!! Sounds like you have a good outlook though (and mindhunter is a fabulous show).

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but what does it mean if you show up to interview day and you are not interviewing with your POI? I interviewed yesterday at a school and they had me interview with two faculty (another faculty who is taking students and one who isn't). Is this generally a bad sign? I'm confused because the e-mail inviting me to interview day was from my POI, but then I only got a chance to talk with her briefly during lunch time on interview day. 

20 hours ago, secondtimecharm said:

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but what does it mean if you show up to interview day and you are not interviewing with your POI? I interviewed yesterday at a school and they had me interview with two faculty (another faculty who is taking students and one who isn't). Is this generally a bad sign? I'm confused because the e-mail inviting me to interview day was from my POI, but then I only got a chance to talk with her briefly during lunch time on interview day. 

How much contact have you had with your POI before these interviews? I haven't experienced this before, so this is purely speculation--but I imagine if you've spoken in depth with the POI already, it could be possible that they are set on working with you/got all the information they need already and don't have any other things to go over with you, and just need other committee member input. 

On 2/29/2020 at 2:21 PM, secondtimecharm said:

did you ask the POI why? 

On 2/29/2020 at 5:21 PM, secondtimecharm said:

So this also happened to me. While, I'm still not ultimately not sure what the reason for this was, one of the faculty seemed to imply that because my POI had so many applicants, they set me up to apply for another faculty member (whom I had an interview with but the research fit wasn't really good). The whole thing was pretty messy since that whole day I didn't know how I should approach the other faculty member and I really felt confused as to why they even invited me.

Edited by psych4life

New to this thread! I'm currently waiting on two programs I interviewed at several weeks ago and am getting more anxious by the day. I'm beginning to assume that I've been waitlisted by both. I've seen others post that they were rejected from both programs several weeks ago, and I'm starting to see acceptances from them both too. I finally caved and emailed one of them (pending response), but I'm wondering how many others are in this boat of ambiguity ?

18 minutes ago, psyapplicant said:

How long after receiving an informal offer does it usually take to receive an official email from the program? I heard from the POI on Wednesday and I'm freaking out here because I haven't received any emails making it official yet...

Mine took a couple weeks to come, I assume while they were formalizing funding and such.  Just be patient, if they offered it's because they want you and it will come!

5 hours ago, tiredgradstudent said:

New to this thread! I'm currently waiting on two programs I interviewed at several weeks ago and am getting more anxious by the day. I'm beginning to assume that I've been waitlisted by both. I've seen others post that they were rejected from both programs several weeks ago, and I'm starting to see acceptances from them both too. I finally caved and emailed one of them (pending response), but I'm wondering how many others are in this boat of ambiguity ?

Yes the waiting is the worst!! I really should contract my program at this point since I interviewed in early February, but I really handle another rejection at moment lol. 

7 hours ago, tiredgradstudent said:

Yeah the waiting is excruciating for sure. I still have yet to hear back from a program I interviewed at the end of Jan! Others have gotten offers, waitlists, and rejections from the program so I'm really confused. I also caved and emailed and am waiting anxiously for a response. 

11 hours ago, clinicalpsyhopeful said:

mine also took a week, t'was a very long week!

I got 'the call' on Friday and was told to expect my offer letter on Monday and nothing came :/. I'm doing my best to be patient, with little success. I'm just excited to get this thing signed, sealed, and delivered so I can officially end my admissions cycle! Congrats on your acceptance!!

1 hour ago, PsychPhdBound said:

I got 'the call' on Friday and was told to expect my offer letter on Monday and nothing came :/. I'm doing my best to be patient, with little success. I'm just excited to get this thing signed, sealed, and delivered so I can officially end my admissions cycle! Congrats on your acceptance!!

Yeah i know exactly how you feel, my advisor gave me a little warning that the department moves a little slower than she does so it helped with the waiting ?. Congrats to you too :)