PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

If there are any admits to the Harvard Chan Population Health Sciences PhD who want to chat with a current student, DM me. Full disclosure, I really love my program (I'm in epi). But, I know I had questions about the PhD programs I applied to that I wasn't comfortable asking faculty about, so I am happy to give you candid nitty-gritty answers. 

Congrats. 

To those who didn't recieve an acceptance: I hope you all get accepted to wonderful, funded programs this year, but don't give up if things don't pan out. I applied to PhD programs twice. I have faith we each end up on the path we need to be on. 

11 minutes ago, EHS_EPI_PHD said:

Has anyone heard from Columbia Environmental Health Sciences?

I just checked my portal and it says "Congratulations and welcome to Columbia Public Health!", but I didn't interview or get any email from them. It seems like a glitch, it's too good to be true!

I got the same message... I think it might be a glitch because many others received the same display??? 

Accepted at Harvard PHS in EH today and Michigan Epidemiology yesterday!! Crashing now from the adrenaline high after seeing the Harvard email! So happy to be getting celebration pizza tonight ?

I also have the same message on the Columbia portal (EHS) but agree it's probably a glitch? A mean one though! I didn't have an interview with them and also have not heard anything since I submitted my app.

Also, anyone in Harvard PHS get word about their advisor?

Just now, envepid said:

Accepted at Harvard PHS in EH today and Michigan Epidemiology yesterday!! Crashing now from the adrenaline high after seeing the Harvard email! So happy to be getting celebration pizza tonight ?

I also have the same message on the Columbia portal (EHS) but agree it's probably a glitch? A mean one though! I didn't have an interview with them and also have not heard anything since I submitted my app.

Congratulations!! Are you international/local? I think I see your post in the Gradcafe survey page! Enjoy your pizzas!

15 minutes ago, EHS_EPI_PHD said:

Has anyone heard from Columbia Environmental Health Sciences?

I just checked my portal and it says "Congratulations and welcome to Columbia Public Health!", but I didn't interview or get any email from them. It seems like a glitch, it's too good to be true!

I think Columbia EHS wrapped up interviews with their candidates last week and from my understanding they did require an interview for admittance :( 

5 minutes ago, envepid said:

Congrats!! That's so exciting!

Do you know if Michigan Epi sends acceptances all at once? Haven't heard back after interviewing a few weeks ago.

6 minutes ago, epihsrhopeful said:

Congratulations!! Are you international/local? I think I see your post in the Gradcafe survey page! Enjoy your pizzas!

From the US!

Just now, brightbluebirds said:

Congrats!! That's so exciting!

Do you know if Michigan Epi sends acceptances all at once? Haven't heard back after interviewing a few weeks ago.

I think they will be trickling out, I was honestly really surprised to see it so soon. They have to match you up with a faculty member and figure out funding before you get accepted. I think they said everyone should hear back by mid-March, so not hearing back by now is not at all bad!

On 2/3/2021 at 8:57 AM, InternationalpHD said:

Hello guys, 

I have been reading all the posts, and its a mixed feeling as I haven't heard back from most schools I applied to. 

I am an International student, currently pursuing my MPH and graduating this May. I have an MBBS degree(equivalent to MD) from my home country. 1 publication. 3+year PH experience (International and Domestic)

Undergrad GPA: 3.0 and Master's: 3.6

I applied to a lot of schools for PhD/DrPH programs

Drexel, BU, JHU, Emory, TAMU, UCLA, Berkeley, Yale, NYU, University of Miami, Ohio State, Indiana, Pittsburgh, UPenn, Minnesota, Tulane

I have been rejected by Emory and JHU. 

Its so silent from the rest that it is making me really anxious. Writing here to see what everyone has to say. 

Also congratulations everyone who has been accepted. :)

I know the feeling! I've applied to 7 programs, and just 2 of them have notified me. I also haven't heard from Pitt, I've contacted them, but no response. :(

36 minutes ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

If there are any admits to the Harvard Chan Population Health Sciences PhD who want to chat with a current student, DM me. Full disclosure, I really love my program (I'm in epi). But, I know I had questions about the PhD programs I applied to that I wasn't comfortable asking faculty about, so I am happy to give you candid nitty-gritty answers. 

Congrats. 

To those who didn't recieve an acceptance: I hope you all get accepted to wonderful, funded programs this year, but don't give up if things don't pan out. I applied to PhD programs twice. I have faith we each end up on the path we need to be on. 

Wonderfully said! Do you think all of the decisions have been made? My co-worker said that in her interview the Ad com member told her that she would her by 2/15..... do you think that is when rejects will be sent? 

22 hours ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

For those waiting on JHU: if you get accepted, are you taking it? Is it top of the list? I think my own JHU fate will be handed down mid Feb (interview is Friday). 

I am interviewing for JHU too, in the same program as you. Are all your interviews on Friday? 

Also, I know you said you like the USF program. I did my undergrad and MPH there, and honestly I feel that the JHU one is like the USF CFH in steroids (in a very good way). But I think it really depends on how you feel after the interview and the place that you think that fits best with your personality. 

6 minutes ago, potlucknopotatosalad said:

Wonderfully said! Do you think all of the decisions have been made? My co-worker said that in her interview the Ad com member told her that she would her by 2/15..... do you think that is when rejects will be sent? 

I believe that Harvard PHS acceptances are all sent out on the same day (except some folks who will be admitted off the waitlist), and rejections are typically released the week after acceptances. I am not on an admissions committee, so take my understanding of the process with a grain of salt. 

14 minutes ago, CommunityHealth21 said:

I am interviewing for JHU too, in the same program as you. Are all your interviews on Friday? 

Also, I know you said you like the USF program. I did my undergrad and MPH there, and honestly I feel that the JHU one is like the USF CFH in steroids (in a very good way). But I think it really depends on how you feel after the interview and the place that you think that fits best with your personality. 

Ooooo! Hey! That’s exciting. We’ve got to do a postmortem and compare notes! Hehe. DM, for sure! And yep, all on Friday! 

That is good to know! I’d love to hear about all the good and bad things about USF, from your vantage. 

Im thinking about starting a little email list/group for fellow MCH’ers here so we can share research, commiserate, cheer each other on, and collaborate on projects. What do you think?

Edited by MCH_Hopeful_2021

7 minutes ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

I believe that Harvard PHS acceptances are all sent out on the same day (except some folks who will be admitted off the waitlist), and rejections are typically released the week after acceptances. I am not on an admissions committee, so take my understanding of the process with a grain of salt. 

First time posting, I got waitlisted for Harvard PHS! Any idea how common it is to get off the waitlist? 

1 hour ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

Out of curiosity (because I think this will be my situation), what did you do to strengthen your application between cycles?

31 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Ooooo! Hey! That’s exciting. We’ve got to do a postmortem and compare notes! Hehe. DM, for sure! And yep, all on Friday! 

That is good to know! I’d love to hear about all the good and bad things about USF, from your vantage. 

Im thinking about starting a little email list/group for fellow MCH’ers here so we can share research, commiserate, cheer each other on, and collaborate on projects. What do you think?

Yes! I will! Mine were all over the week, and actually today was the only day I did not have anything for JHU. 

I will DM you and we can definitely talk more! 

And I actually think that doing the email list would be great. Would be so nice to have a support group where we can talk and share some of our experiences, projects, etc. 

12 minutes ago, niram said:

Joining the rejected-by-JHU HPM-track and received-the-Columbia "welcome to Columbia Public Health" message-on-my-application-portal gangs :P nice to have solidarity through this misery.

Hi! Is this a typo in the Columbia website? Do you know what it means haha

1 hour ago, phd_one_day said:

First time posting, I got waitlisted for Harvard PHS! Any idea how common it is to get off the waitlist? 

I attended their info session so I took a screenshot of their admin stats. On average 8 people got off from the waitlist across departments. Good luck!!!!!!! Finger crossed!!!! 

2 hours ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

3 hours ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

Congrats. 

I contacted SBS a while back and was told all notifications would be released by Feb 11. Looking at today Feb 4, I think this matches with what you say. I don't feel particularly bad about being rejected, a little bit disappointed of not getting the chance to talk to my POIs more, but I'm sure there will be opportunities in the future. 

Congrats to those get in (or about to get in?)

I also just received a rejection from UW Global Health Implementation Science. Waiting for UCSF. 

Edited by xxxxling