MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

Got accepted today to MICA's Mount Royal School of Art (multidisciplinary program) as well as Emily Carr's MFA program on Monday. 

Unsurprisingly Emily Carr's tuition is much less, not to mention the Canadian exchange rate helps me out a bit (as well as some grants/funding). Though MICA gave me a size-able scholarship, it's still expensive especially when compared to ECU. 

Not sure what I'll decide, though I'm excited! Can't decide if it makes to spend more, but I'm wondering if MICA will align my career better since I doubt as an American I will stay in Vancouver (though I'd love that). ECU though felt more aligned with my politics and general ethos though, so I'm feeling compelled and confused.

Anyone have thoughts on either program?

Oh and still haven't heard back from Columbia or Tyler... ( Columbia feels like a money-eating machine, and I'm apathetic at best at this point. )

21 hours ago, Morris(: said:

First post for me, just found out about this forum. this is fun!

Here's were I applied and my current status 

Iowa- interview

USF- Interview and accepted 

Wash U/ST Louis - accepted 

VCU- Interview and rejected

Yale- Interview

Stanford - Interview 

Tyler - email to interview, no date when interview will be yet.

Congrats on your acceptances!! I also interviewed with USF and am awaiting their reply. Did they call you or did they send you an email? I have my fingers crossed because I feel like the interview went well!! 

18 hours ago, what_topography said:

Got accepted today to MICA's Mount Royal School of Art (multidisciplinary program) as well as Emily Carr's MFA program on Monday. 

Unsurprisingly Emily Carr's tuition is much less, not to mention the Canadian exchange rate helps me out a bit (as well as some grants/funding). Though MICA gave me a size-able scholarship, it's still expensive especially when compared to ECU. 

Not sure what I'll decide, though I'm excited! Can't decide if it makes to spend more, but I'm wondering if MICA will align my career better since I doubt as an American I will stay in Vancouver (though I'd love that). ECU though felt more aligned with my politics and general ethos though, so I'm feeling compelled and confused.

Anyone have thoughts on either program?

Oh and still haven't heard back from Columbia or Tyler... ( Columbia feels like a money-eating machine, and I'm apathetic at best at this point. )

i’m currently finishing my undergrad in vancouver (as an international student from the us), and staying in canada is quite doable once you have a degree here! vancouver as a city is really expensive to live in though. i’m at ubc, not emily carr, but i’ve only heard good things from their students. feel free to message me any questions about vancouver or the immigration process! 

Got an acceptance letter from Pratt Communications Design program! However, there's no mention of funding in the acceptance letter, Does anyone know if they give it out later or this means, I'm not eligible for a funding? NY is too expensive for me otherwise. ?

But I'm really happy and excited for this! ?

6 hours ago, yueeeee said:

Accepted by Pratt ComD!!

Heard tons of admission letters since last night :D (more than ten)

Congrats to all! I'm so excited about this

Did you recieve any funding package?

34 minutes ago, SerpentSkort said:

Nope :( still waiting to hear from this program as well.

I asked weeks ago when we’ll be notified and I was told early March ? (which is now....) so hopefully this isn’t bad news. Do you know if they do interviews?

I just got a reply from MICA saying the MICA MFA Graphic Design will hear from them this week. If you want to know you can go to MICAs website and just do the chat feature and chat with admissions about the status of emails in general.

46 minutes ago, Little Lulu said:

I just got a reply from MICA saying the MICA MFA Graphic Design will hear from them this week. If you want to know you can go to MICAs website and just do the chat feature and chat with admissions about the status of emails in general.

Did you recieve an interview request from them? A lot of people have got their interview requests----->acceptances already!

25 minutes ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Did you recieve an interview request from them? A lot of people have got their interview requests----->acceptances already!

No, I did not get an interview request. That's why I went to the website and saw they had a chat with admission feature. They told me I would get it sometime this week?

2 hours ago, rosch said:

I asked weeks ago when we’ll be notified and I was told early March ? (which is now....) so hopefully this isn’t bad news. Do you know if they do interviews?

To my knowledge I haven’t heard of them interviewing people; I also got an email saying early March too

10 hours ago, Meaou said:

I accepted UT Austin's offer yesterday. Really excited about the program's atmosphere, facilities, faculty, current, and incoming grad cohort. 

While there, I had a feeling 1-2 accepted people were looking for something different and might reject their offers. 

Was this a campus visit for the incoming cohort? Do you know how many people are accepted for each area?

Did anyone apply to RISD 2 year graphic design MFA? Have they sent anything out yet? I’v heard a lot of people mention the 3 year, but haven’t seen anyone mention the 2 year, but I could just have missed the posts. I’m guessing it’s a rejection at this point, but worth checking. My portal has no update. 

Edited by Aatt

15 minutes ago, Baldie15 said:

Has anyone been accepted to Tulane? My portal status of “submitted” has not been changed but I haven’t been accepted either? Thanks! 

I got a rejection last week. Someone else in this group was also rejected. 

9 minutes ago, jess_is_over_it said:

I got a rejection last week. Someone else in this group was also rejected. 

I saw people were rejected and not sure if I should get my hopes up because I wasn’t rejected yet... hmmm... figured I would have been called, emailed or received a letter either way by now? Aaaargh!