2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

Just now, Edge98 said:

Do school's email you when a decision is made (e.g. interview invite) or do you only see this through the portal? Just wondering if I should be obsessively checking as well haha

Following to see others answers - but I get the impression you are emailed directly. There really is no logical reason for my insane refreshing and viewing the status of my applications - but here I am...

4 hours ago, CateFace said:

Following to see others answers - but I get the impression you are emailed directly. There really is no logical reason for my insane refreshing and viewing the status of my applications - but here I am...

I think I'm not gonna let myself look for a week or two! Otherwise I'll start obsessively checking lol 

4 hours ago, Edge98 said:

Do school's email you when a decision is made (e.g. interview invite) or do you only see this through the portal? Just wondering if I should be obsessively checking as well haha

For OISE, they don't tend to review apps until well into the new year. My cohort all got emails from the profs before the portal updated with any info. Rather than checking the portal, just make sure to check your email junk folder!

Best of luck everyone, hoping for good news all around :) 

Is anyone else unsure whether they chose the right funding federal agency for the CGS-M? My research could be considered NSERC (cognitive psych), but I chose CIHR because the research has clinical implications (e.g. addiction)... Ahhh

27 minutes ago, Drew James said:

Is anyone else unsure whether they chose the right funding federal agency for the CGS-M? My research could be considered NSERC (cognitive psych), but I chose CIHR because the research has clinical implications (e.g. addiction)... Ahhh

If your research doesn't fit with the funding agency you applied to, I think the agency transfers it over to the applicable agency. It's my first time applying so anyone correct me if I'm wrong 

Just now, broski said:

If your research doesn't fit with the funding agency you applied to, I think the agency transfers it over to the applicable agency. It's my first time applying so anyone correct me if I'm wrong 

I haven't read anywhere that this is the case... but it'd be great if they did.

57 minutes ago, Drew James said:

When is the deadline for this funding? I didn't apply for funding outside of internal awards until after I know if my project is accepted. I spoke with my PI today who is hopefully going to be my PI for clinical psych on a different project if all goes well and she wants me working on my CIHR application starting January. 

Just now, CateFace said:

When is the deadline for this funding? I didn't apply for funding outside of internal awards until after I know if my project is accepted. I spoke with my PI today who is hopefully going to be my PI for clinical psych on a different project if all goes well and she wants me working on my CIHR application starting January. 

The deadline for the CGS-M is Dec 1st (already passed today) unfortunately. Perhaps your supervisor is referring to a different CIHR funding application ?

Just now, Drew James said:

The deadline for the CGS-M is Dec 1st (already passed today) unfortunately. Perhaps your supervisor is referring to a different CIHR funding application ?

Ah totally could be what I completely messed up and did not apply for, I thought the applications were in September, I may be thinking of something different. Still, that is tricky for students not really knowing what they are proposing isn't it? 

Just now, CateFace said:

Ah totally could be what I completely messed up and did not apply for, I thought the applications were in September, I may be thinking of something different. Still, that is tricky for students not really knowing what they are proposing isn't it? 

Yeah, incoming Master's students are expected to make up a project and propose it, but they don't actually expect us to conduct our proposed research if we do get accepted/awarded. It's weird.

53 minutes ago, Drew James said:

I haven't read anywhere that this is the case... but it'd be great if they did.

Have you emailed the CGS-M peeps to ask ? They're super helpful and respond quickly. 

3 hours ago, Drew James said:

unless you're proposing to the cognitive work in a clinical population it'd be either NSERC or SSHRC. 

For anyone that applied to Guelph's Clinical program -- has anyone else had any issues with recommendations being lost or not processed?

One of my professors said she got a double request for the recommendation, and she submitted the letter + supplement form for one of the requests. Then, she got a confirmation that they received it.. but the portal says it is not received and she is still receiving reminder emails to complete the recs. Due date was the 1st, and I inquired about it a week ago but I think they must be super busy because I haven't gotten a response yet. :( Not sure what more I can do at this point, would appreciate it if anyone had any thoughts on this!

8 hours ago, higaisha said:

unless you're proposing to the cognitive work in a clinical population it'd be either NSERC or SSHRC. 

It's tricky. I try to find the relationship between cognitive processes that are heavily implicated in addictive behaviour, and propose an intervention to decrease these cognitive processes. The intervention is not clinical and more cognitive, and this is is all in a normal, healthy population. 

I feel like my proposal sits at the border of CIHR and NSERC. Applicable to both but not convincingly on either side. I guess it's better to be safe because going with CIHR bc any clinically-oriented projects are not eligible for the NSERC?

Edited by Drew James

Just now, Drew James said:

It's tricky. I try to find the relationship between cognitive processes that are heavily implicated in addictive behaviour, and propose an intervention to decrease these cognitive processes. The intervention is more cognitive work than clinical, and this is is all in a normal, healthy population.  

Think it also depends on the methods you propose; i could see how say cognitive bias modification or cognitive remediation could fall under SSHRC's mandate as well. I think it could be either but it certainly does not sound like CIHR. I'd recommend searching funded projects in each agency with keywords similar to yours to see what has been funded on that topic and what is different between areas.

Hi guys! I'm super stressed about having submitted my applications and am wondering if someone can be super blunt with me about my chances (all for clinical psych programs btw)

- 3.89 cGPA (started in chem/physics so first year is a bit lower), 4.0 GPA in final two years

- No publications or presentations, currently submitting one psychiatry manuscript where i'm 2nd author

- Undergrad honours thesis in progress - really doubt I'll publish 

- RA in multiple labs throughout my undergrad 

- A bunch of somewhat clinical-y experiences but I don't think that counts too much where I'm applying

My main concerns are my lack of publications/presentations, possibly weak references, and the fact that my research hasn't been in the exact topic i want to study in grad school. I also emailed some professors I was applying to, but head back from very few and am worried they just aren't interested in me. One told me he wouldn't even consider my app because i had no pubs. Also a lot of applicants I know are way older than me and have years of work experience while I'm still in my 4th year. Any advice??

27 minutes ago, SarahD9899 said:

Hi guys! I'm super stressed about having submitted my applications and am wondering if someone can be super blunt with me about my chances (all for clinical psych programs btw)

- 3.89 cGPA (started in chem/physics so first year is a bit lower), 4.0 GPA in final two years

- 168 Verbal / 162 Quantitative / 6.0 Writing (super disappointed that none of the schools are looking at GREs!)

- No publications or presentations, currently submitting one psychiatry manuscript where i'm 2nd author

- Undergrad honours thesis in progress - really doubt I'll publish 

- RA in multiple labs throughout my undergrad 

- A bunch of somewhat clinical-y experiences but I don't think that counts too much where I'm applying

My main concerns are my lack of publications/presentations, possibly weak references (one is a new prof, only been working at my school since 2019 so I feel like he might not be respected yet, the other I read and is pretty strong imo), and the fact that my research hasn't been in the exact topic i want to study in grad school. I also emailed some professors I was applying to, but head back from very few and am worried they just aren't interested in me. One told me he wouldn't even consider my app because i had no pubs. Also a lot of applicants I know are way older than me and have years of work experience while I'm still in my 4th year. Any advice??

Do you mind me asking which school (I won't ask for the POI's name) said that they wouldn't even consider you without a pub? I know many, if not most students who got in without pubs. However they had at least 1 or more presentations. 

Also, it is SO hard to evaluate an applicants chances for clin psych. The process is so idiosyncratic, some people get in with not much experience but a great match with POI, some people who have pubs, presentations, high GRE etc. don't get it. There's a lot happening behind the scenes we don't see. Like last minute changes to who can accept a student, funding issues, etc.

Congrats on your GRE scores by the way. Those are really great and I do feel for you that they aren't being accepted this year because I think that would have really helped your application. Also, how many schools did you apply to? Did you apply for external funding? 

On 12/2/2020 at 2:55 PM, Psych1313 said:

Do you mind me asking which school (I won't ask for the POI's name) said that they wouldn't even consider you without a pub? I know many, if not most students who got in without pubs. However they had at least 1 or more presentations. 

Also, it is SO hard to evaluate an applicants chances for clin psych. The process is so idiosyncratic, some people get in with not much experience but a great match with POI, some people who have pubs, presentations, high GRE etc. don't get it. There's a lot happening behind the scenes we don't see. Like last minute changes to who can accept a student, funding issues, etc.

Congrats on your GRE scores by the way. Those are really great and I do feel for you that they aren't being accepted this year because I think that would have really helped your application. Also, how many schools did you apply to? Did you apply for external funding? 

Thanks so much!!  I applied to 5 schools and I did apply to CGS and OGS.

3 minutes ago, Wanderingmind said:

For anyone who has gone through the interview process, whats it like? (How many interviews do you have to do if you make it all the way through, how long are they, etc)

Speaking from my experience interviewing at one Canadian school, I was not required to go through any preliminary phone interviews, etc. The first year I applied, I attended the in-person interview day which consisted of two interviews with faculty (the two I listed on my statement of intent) and one graduate student in one of their labs. The second time I interviewed, I had a conflict, so I did those same three interviews (two with faculty, one with a grad student) remotely via Zoom or a phone call! These interviews were on different days, at the interviewer's and my own convenience. I'm assuming the school will default entirely to the second option this year. I may be able to report specifics at a later date, though, as I'm now a current graduate student at this school.

17 hours ago, Drew James said:

I think I have screwed up big time. I had no idea this funding application was now, I absolutely was under the impression it was after you were accepted and developed a research project. I feel like I was a strong candidate, I have 5 presentations, 2 at international conferences, 2 publications, research experience, volunteer experience, so many scholarships and awards, strong references, 3.96 GPA overall, 4.0 for the last two years, and yet I screwed up big time. I had no idea (although I suppose I should have known?) I'm the first in my family to attend any schooling so feel like I'm flying blind here, and now have made a huge mistake. 

Just now, CateFace said:

I think I have screwed up big time. I had no idea this funding application was now, I absolutely was under the impression it was after you were accepted and developed a research project. I feel like I was a strong candidate, I have 5 presentations, 2 at international conferences, 2 publications, research experience, volunteer experience, so many scholarships and awards, strong references, 3.96 GPA overall, 4.0 for the last two years, and yet I screwed up big time. I had no idea (although I suppose I should have known?) I'm the first in my family to attend any schooling so feel like I'm flying blind here, and now have made a huge mistake. 

:( I'm sorry! You sound like a really strong applicant still, so I'm sure you still have a good chance. It sounds like you have a connection with a PI, so I would try not to worry too much. This is such a strange year anyways! 

Just now, Wanderingmind said:

:( I'm sorry! You sound like a really strong applicant still, so I'm sure you still have a good chance. It sounds like you have a connection with a PI, so I would try not to worry too much. This is such a strange year anyways! 

I would honestly be more than happy to say I'll just pay the tuition and accept not being paid a stipend. I want this more than anything, I can eat the cost of a potential scholarship knowing its something that could potentially hold me back. I realize it doesn't work this way though and this is just not great. I also realize that in the event I'm rejected I can re-apply the following year, I'm just so livid with myself for such a stupid mistake. 

Just now, CateFace said:

Try to relax and breathe a little! You can still apply in your first year if you get admitted into a program. I just applied for CGS-M this year, after starting a program in September and being admitted a few places for the Fall 2020 cycle, so there’s still time to do it next year if you get in. I actually found applying after starting a program helped because I was able to connect with lab members, see winning proposal examples, and ask my lab members questions about the process when or if I needed clarification.