2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

23 hours ago, Drew James said:

Is it strange/rude to ask your supervisor for a paid RA position for the summer if you’re an incoming graduate student (with that supervisor)? Like if you and the supervisor agreed to get started on research prior to graduate school officially starting. 

Adding my two cents and echoing what's been said already...#1 get that official offer first :D

#2 in the funded programs, RA/TA/GA positions typically go to current students as it offsets their funding package (i.e. you work for some of the funding). If this is the case at your program, you might have to wait until you are an official student in Sept. 

However, (once you have that offer in hand) it's totally fair to chat to your supervisor about wanting to do some research work over the summer. If they don't have anything for you to do (unlikely) or any funded for you to do it (slightly more likely) they might suggest other opportunities. A good supervisor wants to support you through your grad school journey and I wouldn't expect them to block you from other paid research opportunities. 

Hey guys! I just got an invite to interview for UPEI's Psyd program and was wondering if anyone on here goes there/ has interviewed and could dm me? The invite says "you should expect to be asked to demonstrate key competencies that are central to the discipline of clinical psychology, including responding to a short clinical vignette, and to scenarios about quantitative research, qualitative research, and diversity." If anyone has any insight on how to prepare for this id really appreciate it! I'm not sure what id be asked for responding to research scenarios?

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Rapunzel116 said:

Hey guys! I just got an invite to interview for UPEI's Psyd program and was wondering if anyone on here goes there/ has interviewed and could dm me? The invite says "you should expect to be asked to demonstrate key competencies that are central to the discipline of clinical psychology, including responding to a short clinical vignette, and to scenarios about quantitative research, qualitative research, and diversity." If anyone has any insight on how to prepare for this id really appreciate it! I'm not sure what id be asked for responding to research scenarios?

Thanks! 

Congrats! I also got an email today with interview! Looking for any helpful info/ tips. 

1 hour ago, iamstressed said:

Does anyone know if all of Ryerson's interviews have been sent out?

Hey there! I’m not 100% sure on the answer but when I contacted the Graduate Program Administrator they said professors will be contacting students throughout January. That being said, I know some people have already been contacted for their second interview so I’m not sure where interviews are at overall. Sorry this wasn’t overly insightful, just wanted to share what I know 

23 hours ago, psych011011 said:

Hi everyone! Just wondering, are there any current Windsor students on here that could PM me? I don't have an interview by the way (will share here if that happens), just had a couple questions about the program i was hoping to ask :) 

Me too, please! :))

Edited by pyschluver

57 minutes ago, Irishsnowflakes said:

Bit of a panic. I think I'm just too nervous. I am scared I'm not answering "why I want to be a clinical pysychologist" in the right way..... can someone just let me know how my answer sounds (I can pm it).

I find this question is definitely anxiety provoking as well- So it’s totally fair of to feel a little worry about it! But, I think the important part is that you’re answering honestly.  While we all might share similar experiences/desires to be in a clinical program, we all walk different paths! One persons rationale for wanting clinical may be something entirely different from another persons and that’s absolutely 100% okay:) I think the fact that you are worried about it just shows how much you’ve thought about it. We are all unique in our goals and you should just let that shine in your answer! I’ve heard so many times from interviews how they appreciate an honest answer rather than one that an applicant thinks they want to hear. 
it’s so easy to second guess yourself during this process, so just try to remember how hard you’ve worked:)

Edited by Sundaythecat

On 1/10/2021 at 1:31 PM, clinpsychhopeful2021 said:

To the person who posted about getting an interview at Queen's on the results page: congrats! is it an informal interview with your POI or a formal interview day? thank you!

Hi! Sorry I didn't know GradCafe forums existed till today. It was with the POI. DM for POI.

Just now, golden.pothos said:

Anyone else hear from UCalgary? I think I only saw one person posted about receiving an email for the interview day from the program admin, has anyone else had any luck? (Not looking for POI info, just wondering if all of the invites have been sent considering someone posted that the open house is a week from today!) 

The grad coordinator sent out interview invites last week to all streams of psych (not counselling/school psych--thats a diff department at UCalg).

I previously interviewed at UC so I'm familiar with the process/also heard from a friend who got the email last week.

2 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

The grad coordinator sent out interview invites last week to all streams of psych (not counselling/school psych--thats a diff department at UCalg).

I previously interviewed at UC so I'm familiar with the process/also heard from a friend who got the email last week.

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Mickey26 said:

I have heard that the open house invites have all been sent out. School psyc was reviewing applications for sure 2 weeks ago as I had some communication with my POI - not sure the status of those being processed at this point, but really REALLY hoping to get confirmation soon as (I'm sure you can all relate!) this waiting process is killer! 

What are your thoughts on asking POIs you've been in touch with for feedback on applications if you haven't been invited to interview? I had a couple of promising back and forths with some POIs but wasn't invited to interview - of course some nice emails aren't a guarantee of anything, but I would like to apply to these people again and it would be helpful to identify any specific areas I could improve... 

If you think it's a good idea, when/how would you go about asking for feedback (sooner the better, after people have confirmed acceptances so they're less busy, etc?) / If you think it's a bad idea, why/do you have any other ways of getting specific feedback that isn't from POIs? 

3 minutes ago, psychapplicant2021 said:

Anyone know where Ryerson is at in their process? I've seen from past year stats that they sometimes have a lot of people on their shortlist so could interviews just be taking a while? Or have all shortlisted candidates been contacted by now?

I just had my first interview with my POI yesterday so I don't think that all the shortlisted candidates have been contacted yet :)

14 hours ago, E_L_ said:

did anyone who applied to OISE clinical and counselling psychology MA hear anything yet?

I haven't heard anything either. But another poster said that POIs usually reach out early February for interviews. 

16 minutes ago, golden.pothos said:

What are your thoughts on asking POIs you've been in touch with for feedback on applications if you haven't been invited to interview? I had a couple of promising back and forths with some POIs but wasn't invited to interview - of course some nice emails aren't a guarantee of anything, but I would like to apply to these people again and it would be helpful to identify any specific areas I could improve... 

If you think it's a good idea, when/how would you go about asking for feedback (sooner the better, after people have confirmed acceptances so they're less busy, etc?) / If you think it's a bad idea, why/do you have any other ways of getting specific feedback that isn't from POIs? 

This is a good question... I'm not sure, but I would guess it depends on the extent of your correspondence with the POI... If it was a simple "looking forward to seeing your application" and that's it, I would say probably no. But if you've discussed the opportunities in more depth it might be better since they're more likely to remember you and your application. I guess the worst they can say is they can't provide feedback for unsuccessful applicants, but I worry that to some people it might look bad/might seem that you don't value their time? 

I'm very curious to hear what others think though.

23 minutes ago, psychapplicant2021 said:

Anyone know where Ryerson is at in their process? I've seen from past year stats that they sometimes have a lot of people on their shortlist so could interviews just be taking a while? Or have all shortlisted candidates been contacted by now?

I know that POIs are still interviewing people this week, so agree with the other poster that I don't think all people on the shortlist would have been contacted yet because it partially depends on how interviews this week go!