Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

1 hour ago, Jenn.t said:

I got my notice for the Waterloo part-time Advanced standing program just a few minutes ago, and unfortunately I didn't get in. If anyone is accepted, I'd love to hear what kinds of experience you had on your resume. I know I had the grades but I'm just finishing my BSW and don't have a tons of experience yet.

How did you get notified, via email or did you just check your quest account? 

Has anyone heard from the following schools: 

Laurier (Advanced standing- Part time online) 

Ryerson (Advanced standing) 

York (Advanced standing) 

U of T (Advanced standing) 

The anticipation is killllllllling me!!! 

41 minutes ago, Hailey0707 said:

York (Advanced standing) 

Heard from Ryerson today. 

10 hours ago, JMW89 said:

So I checked my online status this morning and it says Accepted - Deposit requested :) still waiting for the email though. In the email you received, did they provide you with any information about funding?

The email came with an attached PDF that says:

"Congratulations! On behalf of Dalhousie University I am pleased to inform you of your
admission to the Full Time Master of Social Work program for the session beginning September
1, 2021. For your information, the Master of Social Work program is per-course fee based. Full
time students in this program typically complete in 1 year (2 if thesis).
Please confirm by email, to your department, if you will be accepting this offer. Questions
concerning your program should also be directed to the Graduate Co-ordinator of your
department.
Please visit http://dal.ca/gradnextsteps for further information on paying your deposit, as well as
other important next steps.
If there is pre-requisite work to complete before you begin your graduate program, you will be
notified by your department.
If you are presently enrolled in a degree program, you must complete your current degree with a
minimum B average prior to the start of the new program, and submit your final transcript to the
Faculty of Graduate Studies within 90 days of beginning your studies at Dalhousie.
It is a condition of your admission that you will not be enrolled in any additional program at
Dalhousie, or elsewhere, during the course of the program for which you have been admitted,
unless special arrangements have been made and approved.
In order that a place in your program may be reserved for you a non-refundable deposit of
$200.00, which will be credited towards your fees, is required by Thursday, March 11, 2021. If
you decide not to attend this program, or if you have been accepted to another Dalhousie
program and choose to decline that offer, please notify your school or department in writing of
your decision."

I hope this was helpful for you! Also, congrats!!

Edited by Viredo

3 hours ago, Hailey0707 said:

York (Advanced standing) 

I've been accepted into Laurier (Advanced standing- Part time online) beginning in May. I heard at the end of January :) Good luck to you!

10 hours ago, tjo said:

I just received a call from May Friedman at Ryerson who offered me admission into their MSW program. I'm still crying... fingers crossed to all that applied!!

Did my BSW at Ryerson. May is the BEST ❤️  

On 2/17/2021 at 1:22 PM, cathySW said:

Hello, just received my acceptance to the 1-year program at Carleton, this group has been so supportive. I am wishing everyone good luck and hoping everyone hears back soon :) 

On 2/17/2021 at 2:53 PM, Siikun said:

Also received my acceptance to 1-year at Carleton ~ just trying to digest the funding package now!

Congrats! That is amazing. I also applied to the 1-year but was waitlisted on the February 17th. I've been checking carleton central everyday but didn't comb through my email well enough, and so I only just found the email from Andrea saying that I was waitlisted yesterday. Kinda glad I missed 11 days of waitlist-induced teeth grinding! 

For anyone who is curious, my application status is "preliminary review required" in Carleton 360 and "Review in progress by department" in Carleton Central. Based on what I've read, "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" usually means a decision is imminent. I know technically offer of admissions have to come through carleton central and that department decision emails aren't official.

Also waiting on York 1 year MSW and it's currently under consideration. Sending hugs to everyone.

8 minutes ago, MSWapplicant2021 said:

Oh weird, I didn't get an email saying my JOINid. I just got my applicant and student number?

I got it at the beginning of November, in an email following my application. I needed my join ID to get an applicant and student number, try emailing help.desk@utoronto.ca if you have issues, that was what the email said. How did you get your student number without a JOINid though?

Did anyone who got an acceptance have low gpa for the 2 year program. Low as in 71-74? I know I asked this before, but just wondering since some of you got acceptances. My experience in various human direct and indirect services amounts to about 2000 hours. 

15 minutes ago, angelicpiano said:

Did anyone who got an acceptance have low gpa for the 2 year program. Low as in 71-74? I know I asked this before, but just wondering since some of you got acceptances. My experience in various human direct and indirect services amounts to about 2000 hours. 

Hi there! Keep in mind that different schools use different calculations when calculating admission cut-offs. UofT 2 year MSW just looks at your last year. "1. Candidates for admission to the Two-Year MSW Full-Time Program require an appropriate bachelor’s degree from a recognized university, and shall have achieved at least a mid-B or better in the final year of full-time study or equivalent, in senior level courses (300 or 400 level)."

Is 71-74 your cgpa? or last year? 

1 minute ago, MSW2020lm said:

Hi there! Keep in mind that different schools use different calculations when calculating admission cut-offs. UofT 2 year MSW just looks at your last year. "1. Candidates for admission to the Two-Year MSW Full-Time Program require an appropriate bachelor’s degree from a recognized university, and shall have achieved at least a mid-B or better in the final year of full-time study or equivalent, in senior level courses (300 or 400 level)."

Is 71-74 your cgpa? or last year? 

Both. I did much better this year, but the thing that the course marks did not get submitted for this term to U of T and the other schools as they were recieved after the deadline. Unfortunately these marks would only have raised my last 10 half credit gpa to one percent. 

5 minutes ago, angelicpiano said:

Both. I did much better this year, but the thing that the course marks did not get submitted for this term to U of T and the other schools as they were recieved after the deadline. Unfortunately these marks would only have raised my last 10 half credit gpa to one percent. 

I am not 100% sure but I thought that if you were just finishing an undergrad you could give them an updated transcript? I would reach out to Angela for more direct advice. 

Just now, MSW2020lm said:

I am not 100% sure but I thought that if you were just finishing an undergrad you could give them an updated transcript? I would reach out to Angela for more direct advice. 

Regardless it does not make an effect for U of T. They need mid B average.