2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

As I did not receive any news today, my tally is now

Rejected: UTexas (official), Berkeley (presumed), Michigan (presumed), and Chicago (presumed)

Accepted: OSU (funding pending) and NYU (w/ funding)

Pending: Harvard, MIT, and WashU

All in all, I'm still pretty happy :) To everyone that hasn't received an offer yet, I'm sure you'll hear back! And there's always next year.

Just now, Barry B. Benson said:

As I did not receive any news today, my tally is now

Rejected: UTexas (official), Berkeley (presumed), Michigan (presumed), and Chicago (presumed)

Accepted: OSU (funding pending) and NYU (w/ funding)

Pending: Harvard, MIT, and WashU

All in all, I'm still pretty happy :) To everyone that hasn't received an offer yet, I'm sure you'll hear back! And there's always next year.

Hopefully you get good funding at OSU so you can have two really competitive packages!

9 minutes ago, piggylan said:

Nothing and endless waiting.  Assumed a rejection since lots of people received offer in the results page.

As far as I know only 1 person claimed an acceptance. 

21 minutes ago, afjackie said:

I don't know about UCSD's MPP, but I got my MPP from Georgetown and it was great. It is a HIGHLY marketable degree.

+1. My brother has an MPP. If you get it from a good department in the US, it's worth a lot. Most top-tier American MPP's are 2-year research degrees, they are not professional "terminal" degrees. An MPP is like a research based master's degree but worth so much more because the professional world (particularly civil service, consulting and corporations) view MPP's significantly more favorably than an MA/MS degree. When everything else is equal, MPP's are actually becoming more valuable than MBA's. 

In your case @soep13 you should seriously consider this. UCSD is excellent both academically and in terms of quality of life (hello La Jolla). Getting an MPP there will allow you to network and make contacts if you want to try again for the PhD, and an MPP specifically will gear you towards pure public policy PhD's as well as polisci/government PhD's. I try to tell everyone to get an MPP over an MS in Political Science because at least with an MPP you can get a job easily if you don't stay in academia. 

23 minutes ago, pspr said:

Cornell just told me they are reducing the number of the incoming cohort by "at least 50%" (they said they usually send out at least 26 offers). They also said they plan to "go slow and use a waitlist." Assuming the number of applicants soared from around 300 to, say, 400 or 500 thanks to the GRE waiver, I guess the ratio for Cornell is as terribly horrible as Harvard or Georgetown, which we have only around 1-2% chance (from, say, 300-400 applications) of getting the offer... 

For some of us who are waiting for these places, I am more than confident that it is absolutely not our fault -- as least not entirely -- that we don't get in. It is indeed too hyper-competitive. And I'm sure this is also the cases for the schools that have already released results.    

Did they mention when they might release the decisions? What does it mean to use a waitlist? Do you think they will waitlist first and then accept from that list? 

Is anyone else getting ads from schools in their email? I keep getting ads from Northwestern, I'm sure because it is all I talk about these days, and every time one pops up I almost have a heart attack...until I realize it is just an ad and not a decision email. Le sigh. 

For everyone on here who has applied this year: Please don't blame yourselves. Almost everyone on here who provided a profile/info about themselves would have had a much better chance in previous years compared to this year. Would you have definitely gotten in last year? I don't know, and no one else knows that. No one can say either way, but what's true from an objective perspective is that many of the top tier polisci/govt PhD programs are reducing their cohort sizes and/or receiving a record number of applications this year. I'm not one for making excuses, but there's a bloody pandemic going and we are just about in the worst part of the second wave here in North America. Schools, particularly public universities, are dealing with the realistic possibility of significantly reduced budgets over the next fiscal year as a result of cuts in public funding, alumni/private donations, etc.. and right now the end isn't quite in sight yet. No one knows how long this will last or how deep it will go. Unfortunately, what this translates to is a lot of institutions being reluctant to commit to funding for research based PhD students. 

So without making excuses for no good reason, I think it's important to remember that the majority of this isn't anyone's fault on here. This is the first time the world has been in this kind of a situation in over 100 years. Believe me, for people finishing their PhD's soon, it's equally terrifying right now because for all the schools reducing or eliminating cohorts, many will be reducing hiring or eliminating tenure track positions. Over the last few years, only the top candidates from departments outside of the CHYMPS have had success with prestigious TT jobs and it's about to get worse. It isn't anyone's fault. We can't be too hard on ourselves. 

36 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

Thank you all for sharing about Masters programs! Were any of y'all able to get funding for these programs? I am highly considering them, but really can't make it work unless it is fully funded (ideally even with a stipend, if that's even possible). 

Adding on to what many have said already, it is possible though rare from what I hear! I was lucky to receive a full tuition scholarship for the MPA at the USC Price School. That did not include any housing or cost of living funding, but because it's a professional program I was able to continue working full time while doing the program. If I could go back, I would probably switch to the MPP in order to get more of the quant experience that will be helpful in the Poli Sci Ph.D.

If the Ph.D. is your ultimate goal, I would caution against paying for an expensive masters degree because many programs will offer that on the way to the Ph.D. anyway. On the other hand, if you can get into a masters program at a school where you would want to do your Ph.D., its sometimes possible to transfer in directly (or at least apply with more insider knowledge and the potential for some credits to transfer). 

Hi everyone, long time lurker here. Just wondering if anyone can share their 0.2 applying as an undergrad? I received my 5th rejection today (so far no acceptance), and it's getting really hard to not blame myself at this point in the game.

I am an international applicant with a BA from an ivy (just graduated last December), triple major (government+area studies+philosophy, summa cum laude), GPA 4.0, GRE 168+169+5, four RA-ships, two TA, one first-author publication accepted at a top area studies journal, and a few more student journal/conference/etc. LOR from my undergrad advisors, all of whom I have worked with for a while and assured me they wrote strong letters. Tbh, I really felt that I checked all the boxes and didn't expect this result at all. I would really appreciate if any fellow undergrad applicant can share their experiences! Thanks!

32 minutes ago, CharmanderGo said:

Hi everyone, long time lurker here. Just wondering if anyone can share their 0.2 applying as an undergrad? I received my 5th rejection today (so far no acceptance), and it's getting really hard to not blame myself at this point in the game.

I am an international applicant with a BA from an ivy (just graduated last December), triple major (government+area studies+philosophy, summa cum laude), GPA 4.0, GRE 168+169+5, four RA-ships, two TA, one first-author publication accepted at a top area studies journal, and a few more student journal/conference/etc. LOR from my undergrad advisors, all of whom I have worked with for a while and assured me they wrote strong letters. Tbh, I really felt that I checked all the boxes and didn't expect this result at all. I would really appreciate if any fellow undergrad applicant can share their experiences! Thanks!

Where did you  apply? Do you have any schools you’re waiting to hear from still? I’m sure you’ll get in somewhere with those stats!! Keep the faith 

Edited by polisci_gal

I've been lurking for a while and want to thank everyone for their positivity and support on this thread! Also, claiming a Vanderbilt interview (AP, received the email today). Would anyone who has completed a Vanderbilt interview be willing to share what to expect (topics, length, etc.)?

1 minute ago, politicsgal said:

I've been lurking for a while and want to thank everyone for their positivity and support on this thread! Also, claiming a Vanderbilt interview (AP, received the email today). Would anyone who has completed a Vanderbilt interview be willing to share what to expect (topics, length, etc.)?

Congrats on the interview! What's your subfield if you don't mind my asking? I'm just about ready to throw in the towel for Vandy since I haven't gotten an interview invite yet. 

Just now, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Congrats on the interview! What's your subfield if you don't mind my asking? I'm just about ready to throw in the towel for Vandy since I haven't gotten an interview invite yet. 

Do you even read people's posts before you pose them a question?

The post clearly says that the candidate is in AP subfield.

Just now, PoliSHopeful said:

I honestly totally missed it. Thanks for informing in such a GRACIOUS manner. 

Hey everybody. Echoing what others ave said on here, it's really important to recognize how stressful this time is and to find ways to cope with anxiety and nerves in a healthy way if possible. We're all stressed. Some of us have family members dying or recently passed that we're grieving on top of having to deal with the emotions of getting admissions decisions or waiting. Everyone on here is human (except for the bots). Unless you're a bot, please, take care of yourself and let's all treat each other with respect and dignity on here. 

14 minutes ago, politicsgal said:

I have an interview with Vanderbilt tomorrow and would also love to hear someone else’s experience.

11 minutes ago, PoliSHopeful said:

It’s really easy to miss things, especially in brackets. There’s really no need to be so snarky to people. Everyone is stressed and anxious. Give people a break. 

e.g. I had to edit this because I missed out a preposition. 

Edited by BrownSugar

1 minute ago, BrownSugar said:

It’s really easy to miss things, especially in brackets. There’s really no need to be so snarky to people. Everyone is stressed and anxious. Give people a break. 

e.g. I had to edit this because I missed out a preposition. 

I feel like you need a break from this forum after so many rejections. 

I will not learn how to treat people from you. 

6 minutes ago, PoliSHopeful said:

I don’t know what’s going on in your life to make you like this, but I’m quite happy with mine. I’ll certainly stay on this forum to remind people not to listen to the likes of you :) 

7 minutes ago, PoliSHopeful said:

You ought to because they are kinder and a lot more gracious and inspiring than you. I don't know the circumstances in your life but you are the kind of person I would loathe to be in a cohort with. 

@BrownSugar congratulations again on USC. I was actually born at USC Medical Center and grew up not far from the campus. It's a beautiful school in a beautiful city. You can't quite beat the quality of life there combined with SC's academic reputation. If you have any questions about the area, let me know :)

Claiming U Chicago admit via email, CP Subfield. Full funding. They said "Please note that since the administration is still reviewing our recommendations, you cannot present this letter as documentation of admission or as a guarantee of support: soon you will receive an official letter of admission", which I hope is just a formality and not an indication of COVID funding issues.

As a longtime lurker on this forum, thank you all who have been so positive and helpful parsing through the various nonsense and rejections along the way!

1a/3r/12p

2 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

I don’t know what’s going on in your life to make you like this, but I’m quite happy with mine. I’ll certainly stay on this forum to remind people not to listen to the likes of you :) 

I am the happiest I've ever been! I got admitted to my dream school. 

But I understand why you might be grumpy. It should not be easy to only get admitted to the lowest ranked school you've applied to. Instead of trying to teach people how to act, try to find peace somewhere else.