1 hour ago, MedievalIllusions said:

Okay, question: When I log on to my University of Rochester application portal, it says my application has a new update. I can click on the word "update." I can also click on something next to it that says "Decision Released." However, when I click on either of these, I get sent to a new screen with the notice "There is no update to your application status to report." I vaguely remember seeing people post about similar issues with other schools' portals (I think a few of my schools use this portal, although they are all somewhat tailored). If anyone also had this issue, with Rochester or anywhere else, did it resolve itself? Did you have to contact the department for an answer? It's been like this for an hour or so, and I'm really hoping it will just resolve itself, but I'm also kind of freaking out.... the answer is so close... yet so far away

It was same for my application on UMass. When I first log in, there was no change but a day after, the status actually changed. So, wait a day and look it again. 

1 hour ago, MedievalIllusions said:

Okay, question: When I log on to my University of Rochester application portal, it says my application has a new update. I can click on the word "update." I can also click on something next to it that says "Decision Released." However, when I click on either of these, I get sent to a new screen with the notice "There is no update to your application status to report." I vaguely remember seeing people post about similar issues with other schools' portals (I think a few of my schools use this portal, although they are all somewhat tailored). If anyone also had this issue, with Rochester or anywhere else, did it resolve itself? Did you have to contact the department for an answer? It's been like this for an hour or so, and I'm really hoping it will just resolve itself, but I'm also kind of freaking out.... the answer is so close... yet so far away

My Rochester portal doesn't have this notice, so I would assume it's a good thing that yours does--most places notify acceptances first, right? Good luck!

If the person who posted on the results board the University of Manitoba MA English acceptance is reading this, feel free to contact me! I'm originally from Winnipeg and can answer your questions about living in MB!

Or if anyone is thinking about going to school in Canada, I'd be happy to answer questions! 

5 minutes ago, coffeelyf said:

Oh my god NYU is one of my top choices and hearing about y'all's phone calls is freaking me out. I know that those calls are rolling out but still ?Congrats!

I'm having wild thoughts. My phone was off for the afternoon, so I have actually thought to myself "What if they called, heard my voicemail message, and decided that I'm too unprofessional and changed their minds." Then I remembered that I probably won't be accepted anyway so this is literally the least of my worries. What a mental ride this has been.

I love NYU but if I’m being honest with myself, it probably wasn’t the best fit. Still, the idea of another rejection sends me into a panic. It’s hard going through this ‘will they won’t they’ game without a single acceptance to fall back on, y’all... 

24 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

I love NYU but if I’m being honest with myself, it probably wasn’t the best fit. Still, the idea of another rejection sends me into a panic. It’s hard going through this ‘will they won’t they’ game without a single acceptance to fall back on, y’all... 

Sooo much solidarity with you! I don’t think I would’ve applied to NYU re: mediocre fit if I weren’t from/trying to stay in New York, but it sucks not having an acceptance for peace of mind right now. 

18 hours ago, foreigncorrespondent said:

Absolutely, I'll drop you a PM... I'm expecting it to go disastrously, because I've met my POI before and they are quite intimidating and brilliant, so I'm expecting to be fully tongue-tied. But here's hoping I get some words out... Just so I can tell you how it goes! :)

I so appreciate this – thank you!

My first interview with Northeastern went so well, it was more like a conversation with a friend than an interview. And it looks like such a great fit for me, I don't think I can wait till next week to hear back on final decisions. 

Is anyone else trying to finish a master's thesis while waiting to hear back? I thought once my last application was submitted, focus would fill my brain and typing fingers but no! The anticipation is such a distraction.

Edited by killerbunny

2 minutes ago, killerbunny said:

Is anyone else trying finish a master's thesis while waiting to hear back? I thought once my last application was submitted, focus would fill my brain and typing fingers but no! The anticipation is such a distraction.

I get you! I'm just home all the time cause I feel too guilty to go out cause I have to finish my thesis, but being home means that I'm just in front of my email, GradCafe and university portals all day. I don't think even having a final decision is gonna make me be completely devoted to my thesis cause then I'll have the visa and moving process to figure out. But somehow I also have to finish this cause I'm not going anywhere if my thesis doesn't pass! *cries inaudibly while refreshing email*

16 minutes ago, killerbunny said:

Is anyone else trying to finish a master's thesis while waiting to hear back? I thought once my last application was submitted, focus would fill my brain and typing fingers but no! The anticipation is such a distraction.

I am not trying to finish a master's thesis, but I am in my last semester of undergrad, and juggling messages from different schools about making visit arrangements while constantly waiting for the phone to ring (still waiting to hear from six schools!) is definitely taking a toll on my ability to focus on my undergrad homework (not to mention the fact that I'm going to miss at least two weeks of classes!)

36 minutes ago, killerbunny said:

YES. I am struggling soooo hard with my thesis right now. Every time I sit down to write, my mind feels like it's bouncing and everything I write feels like garbage.

Solidarity, I feel you.

37 minutes ago, killerbunny said:

Yes! Me! I totally get you - especially since I'm just editing now, which I find terribly boring, so all I do is check my email. I actually have to set timers for myself: one hour of focused work and only then can I check my email and GradCafe for 15 minutes, then back to work. Good luck on waiting for news and thesis writing! 

Not finishing a thesis, but finishing up my last semester of undergrad. Trying to focus is hell. You would think the fact that I can't attend grad unless I finish undergrad would be enough, but nope. ?

Edited by spikeseagulls

17 hours ago, timespentreading said:

My Rochester portal doesn't have this notice, so I would assume it's a good thing that yours does--most places notify acceptances first, right? Good luck!

Oh golly, not ready for that. My portal also does not have a notification so I hope it's good news for you! Best of Luck:)

Is there any kind of unofficial guideline for when to reach out about your application status, especially if you've seen acceptances on Grad Cafe? I've received my rejections so far within a few days of seeing people post acceptances on here, but from the past years' info on here, it seems that some schools take forever to send official rejections. I was thinking about waiting until March 1st to check in, but I'm curious if anyone has insight on this.