2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

Is it strange/rude to ask your supervisor for a paid RA position for the summer if you’re an incoming graduate student (with that supervisor)? Like if you and the supervisor agreed to get started on research prior to graduate school officially starting. 

1 minute ago, Drew James said:

Is it strange/rude to ask your supervisor for a paid RA position for the summer if you’re an incoming graduate student (with that supervisor)? Like if you and the supervisor agreed to get started on research prior to graduate school officially starting. 

I think it depends on a few things:

1. Is the agreement/expectation that you work on your research full-time over the summer? Were milestones discussed for what was to be accomplished over the summer?

2. Was money originally discussed? 

3. Are you expected to move to where this school is before August to complete this research work?

I would be wary of asking for paid work if this topic came up casually in conversation rather than the PI explicitly asking you to begin on your project before the term starts. If the latter is true, you might also want to consider what it will be like being supervised by this PI for the next 5-7 years. If they pressured you to begin your thesis project early I don't think thats a great sign. Out of caution, I personally wouldn't bring up money until I had my offer of admission in writing. The PI might be put off by you asking for money (even though I think that's totally fair and reasonable) and that could affect their decision to chose you as a student. Unfortunately thats how it works for some PIs so be careful how you phrase it if you're going to ask.

25 minutes ago, Drew James said:

Is this for your thesis or for other research going on in the lab? It is very common for MA/PhD students to be paid as a Graduate Research Assistant by their POI's to work on projects outside of their thesis/dissertation/comps, especially if the POI holds a grant/funding.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask to speak with them about the possibility to be paid over the summer as a GA if it's non-thesis research. If this POI wants to get started on research pertaining to your thesis early, then that's a little different and I would suspect that would be up to you whether you want to begin your masters thesis work early without funding.

I'm not assuming this is the case because I am not aware of all the details, but I would be weary of a POI who would expect me to work for free at a graduate level on research for a few months prior to starting my degree and having funding available. Just my opinion!

9 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

I think it depends on a few things:

1. Is the agreement/expectation that you work on your research full-time over the summer? Were milestones discussed for what was to be accomplished over the summer?

2. Was money originally discussed? 

3. Are you expected to move to where this school is before August to complete this research work?

I would be wary of asking for paid work if this topic came up casually in conversation rather than the PI explicitly asking you to begin on your project before the term starts. If the latter is true, you might also want to consider what it will be like being supervised by this PI for the next 5-7 years. If they pressured you to begin your thesis project early I don't think thats a great sign. Out of caution, I personally wouldn't bring up money until I had my offer of admission in writing. The PI might be put off by you asking for money (even though I think that's totally fair and reasonable) and that could affect their decision to chose you as a student. Unfortunately thats how it works for some PIs so be careful how you phrase it if you're going to ask.

I agree you should be careful if you/your PI expect you to begin working on your project before you start the program.

However - if you're just looking for a bit of income/to get settled into your (possibly new) city before you start the program, I would email asking if there are any summer RA opportunities with them or other colleagues so you can move, get settled, and save a little money before you start your phd. I think that's pretty reasonable, but I would be open to working on other projects and be upfront that you're looking to work as an RA and not specifically get a head start on your project. I also agree that you should wait until you've officially been offered and accepted the PhD position before bringing this up. 

On 1/18/2021 at 8:18 PM, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

I applied to the CDBS MSc program as a back-up this year and received an invitation from my POI last week (non-clinical faculty) to the formal interview day on Feb 5. I haven't received a formal invitation from the department yet but apparently this is to come soon.

Hey, just wondering if you got the formal invitation email for the interview date on Feb 5 yet? 

On 1/14/2021 at 9:05 PM, carlrogersfan98 said:

I know this is a clinical psychology thread, but has anyone applied to McGill's counselling psychology program this year/in the past? Is early march usually around when they send out offers? On the website they say interviews are not required as a part of the admissions process for 2020... so I'm assuming the next I'll hear from them might be the admissions decision? Maybe that means offers will be going out sooner this year? Oof I have so many questions yet I know nobody who has also applied to this program lol

I am currently in the Counselling Psych program at McGill. I did have an interview last year and was accepted into the program early March. if you have more questions, let me know

Hi everyone! Two things -

1. Did anyone get an email from Ryerson about being on the short-list to have a second interview with a faculty member that is not your PI?

2. The email says that the second interview will "pertain to clinical matters". Does anyone have any tips as to what this means?  TIA!

1 hour ago, psycSTUD said:

Hey, just wondering if you got the formal invitation email for the interview date on Feb 5 yet? 

I did, it came via my PI but was written by a clinical faculty member and was geared towards all psychology grad applicants ahead of the interview day. The email requested Western applicants to register for the Feb 5th event. I think I saw one poster on here who was invited to the interview day and had applied to clinical. It sounds like official invites have gone out unfortunately :(

42 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

I did, it came via my PI but was written by a clinical faculty member and was geared towards all psychology grad applicants ahead of the interview day. The email requested Western applicants to register for the Feb 5th event. I think I saw one poster on here who was invited to the interview day and had applied to clinical. It sounds like official invites have gone out unfortunately :(

Thanks for your reply. It's really disappointing to hear (but a huge congrats to you!). I don't know if I should lose hope already knowing that short listed interviews are sent yet my app status detail still says "Released to program". 

5 hours ago, Drew James said:

Hm I did start on research in the summer prior to grad school only b/c it would benefit me (eg more pubs the better for award applications etc). I think its more common to do it voluntarily, than paid. But I could be wrong!

On 1/26/2021 at 2:44 PM, psychgradapps2020 said:

do you know if this for the MA program too or just for people they will accept into their PhD program? / I guess what I am also asking is if you do not get contacted by a POI is there still a chance you can get into the MA program haha. thanks :) 

This would be for MA/PhD applicants and PhD-only applicants. I know that most MA/PhD applicants expect (and are expected) to continue on to the PhD, so the process is the same. I have not heard of anyone getting accepted to CCP without an interview. For the MEd (Counselling Psychology) program, I have heard of people being accepted without interviews as it's a much larger cohort and is not a direct track to the doctoral program. 

Looking at the other side of the coin, as a candidate potentially committing to 6-7 years with a supervisor,  I would definitely want to meet my new boss and research companion before committing to that path :) Interviews are bi-directional!