2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

1 hour ago, ClinPsychStruggle said:

Hi everyone, 

Has anyone heard back from the french (Quebec) universities? 

I know Université de Montreal will be sending interview invites out starting March 19th to the end of the month! Not sure about any other French schools but hopefully that helps!

Has anyone applied to OISE for CCP but not getting any interview? Am I assuming a rejection if I didn't get any interview by this time? By the way, for anyone who had an interview, did they contact you by email or via a phone call? I'm not sure if I missed any call from them if that the way they contacted.

53 minutes ago, clinicalhope said:

Has anyone applied to OISE for CCP but not getting any interview? Am I assuming a rejection if I didn't get any interview by this time? By the way, for anyone who had an interview, did they contact you by email or via a phone call? I'm not sure if I missed any call from them if that the way they contacted.

I believe someone posted earlier that not all faculty will be interviewing :)

4 hours ago, VanessaB said:

Both

• Training is in BOTH school and clinical child psychology
  • Follow the scientist-practitioner model
  • PhD is accredited by the CPA
  • Master-level course work designed to prepare you for the PhD
  • Require full-time enrolment
  • Require min 3.7 for consideration (note: U of A’s website says they’ll take your application if you have a min GPA of 3.0, but realistically it’s rare for someone under a 3.7 to be admitted), but how this average is determined differs by program (i.e., U of A is looking at your last 20 courses and psych GPA whereas U of T takes either the final-year average or the average of the most recent five courses depending on whether a student was in full- or part-time studies)

UAlberta SCCP

• Currently delivered via the Department of Educational Psychology, the Faculty of Education, and the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research
  • MEd and PhD in Educational Psychology, SCCP

UAlberta SCCP - MEd

• Measurement Theory I 
  • Practice of School & Clinical Child Psychology 
  • Ethical and Professional Issues in Psychological Practice 
  • Introduction to Methods of Educational Research 
  • Foundations of Psychological Assessment
  • School & Clinical Based Intervention (note: includes practicum in year 1; usually delivering a manualized intervention to children with anxiety in the campus clinic)
  • Quantitative Methods I
  • Individual Psychological Assessment (note: includes practicum in year 2; min of 500 hours in the campus clinic)
  • Adolescent/Child Development Theories and Issues
  • Assessment for Effective Intervention: School and Clinical Applications 
  • Assessment for Effective Intervention Practicum (note: includes a continuation of the practicum in year 2 in the campus clinic with an opportunity to do two in-school assessments)
  • Foundations of Child & Adolescent Intervention
  • Thesis

Length: 6 sessions (F/W/S + F/W/S, but some people may or may not need the final summer to finish)
Time limit: 4 years (but all course work must be completed in the first two years with your cohort)
Funding: No guaranteed funding, but students apply for TA and GRA work and for awards

UAlberta SCCP - PhD

• Developmental Psychopathology
  • Advanced Assessment
  • SCCP School Practicum Placement (note: 2 days a week from sept to April in a clinical-based practicum; min of 700 hours between both practicums in PhD)
  • Child/Adolescent Therapy & Intervention
  • SCCP Clinical Practicum Placement (note: 2 days a week from sept to April in a clinical-based practicum; min of 700 hours between both practicums in PhD)
  • History & Systems of Psychology
  • Consultation and Evaluation in School and Clinical Child Psychology
  • Advanced Doctoral Research Seminar
  • Doctoral Statistics
  • Candidacy Examination
  • School & Clinical Child Psychology Internship (note: 1,600-hour placement, normally taken on a full-time basis over the course of a year in the final year of the student's program)

Length: 4 years full-time
Time limit: unsure, but this could probably be negotiated with your supervisor and the program
Funding: No guaranteed fuding, but new and continuing PhD students get priority for TA and GRA work over MEd students

UToronto/OISE

• MA degree
  • Delivered by the school of Graduate Studies and OISE
  • MA and PhD in SCCP (not sure if the degree title also includes Applied Psych and Human Development somewhere)

UToronto/OISE SCCP - MA

• Ethical Issues in Applied Psychology
  • Psychological Assessment of School-Aged Children
  • Psychoeducational Assessment
  • Seminar and Practicum in School-Based Assessment, Consultation, and Intervention (note: the practicum portion consists of 250 hours (one day a week from September to June) and is normally taken in a school setting)
  • Approaches to Psychotherapy-Lifespan
  • Developmental Psychopathology
  • Psychology and Education of Children with Learning Disabilities
  • Intermediate Statistics and Research Design
  • Advanced Social and Emotional Assessment Techniques
  • Cognitive/Affective bases of behaviour from an approved course listing (note: students who have a 1.0 FCE in Cognitive/Affective bases of behaviour at the senior undergraduate level approved by the program may substitute an elective course for this requirement or take Contemporary History and Systems in Human Development and Applied Psychology)
  • Thesis

Length: 6 sessions (F/W/S + F/W/S)
Time limit: 3 years (unsure if all coursework needs to be done in the first two years like U of A)
Funding: Guaranteed funding for first two years

UToronto/OISE SCCP - PhD 

• A Foundation of Program Evaluation in Social Sciences
  • Approaches to Psychotherapy Across the Lifespan
  • Seminar and Practicum in Clinical Assessment and Intervention (note: 500 hours and two days a week from September to June and is normally taken in a clinical setting)
  • Psychodiagnostic Systems
  • Assessment and Intervention with Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Children, Youth, and Families
  • Advanced Proactive Behavioural and Cognitive-Behavioural Interventions OR Psychodynamic Bases of Therapy
  • 1.0 elective full-course equivalent
  • Internship in School and Clinical Child Psychology (note: 1,600-hour placement, normally taken on a full-time basis over the course of a year in the final year of the student's program)
  • Comprehensive Examination
  • Doctoral dissertation
  • Note: Students who are entering with their master’s degree from other programs are required to do additional course work

Length: 5 years full-time
Time limit: 6 years full-time
Funding: First 3 years of PhD is previously funded in the master’s program (otherwise they will fund four full years)

For further questions about each program, I suggest having a look over each of the program websites. Either way, both programs will prepare you for research and practice, and both will train you across school and clinical child psychology. It seems each program takes a similar yet different approach. Each program divides up the structure and course content slightly differently between the master-level work and the PhD.

Opps, one of the practicums in UAlberta’s SCCP PhD program is school-based and the other is clinical-based (I think I accidentally said they’re both clinical), and there’s definitely a dissertation in the PhD! ?

6 hours ago, Edge98 said:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but when you refer to "you would only have to worry about that if you were applying to clinical PhD programs from a non-clinical masters program" does the GRE still matter even if isn't required by the school? I would assume if they don't need it for masters level admission then they wouldn't for PhD? But if they require it at the masters then incoming PhD students would need it too.

No, the GRE does not matter if it isn't required by the school. GRE scores won't play a role in scholarship/grant/residency applications. I meant to say that if you switch to a clinical PhD program (either transferring from a clinical masters program at a different school or transferring from a non-clinical masters program) then you may need GRE scores for admission. However these two situations are not so common. Because the GREs were waived this year it's hard for me to find information on clinical PhD programs that require the GRE for those who enter the program at the PhD level, but if anyone else wants to chime in here that might help clarify!

5 minutes ago, prospectivegradstudent21 said:

i was wondering if anybody heard from guelph regarding their CCAP program, i only saw one interview posted on the results page from january :o 

That post from January was me; it was an informal interview with a PI who hadn't even seen my application yet. The Guelph Open House already took place in late February, and to my knowledge, having spoke to someone who was invited to the Open House, offers already went out. Rejections will be sent in early April, even though they're pretty much done with interviews and offers.

1 hour ago, psychstudent2020 said:

Curious... what do you guys think is the most important factor to consider when choosing a program to attend (if you like the research you would be doing at both schools)? 

Supervisor relationship - 100%! This can make or break the graduate school experience. 

hi! I am considering applying to UdeM's clinical psych program next year...I am bilingual (but leaning more on the anglo side), and I was wondering if anyone has any insights about the program? pls feel free to DM me if anyone would like to chat :)

• Are 100% of the classes/clinical training in french? 
  • How accommodating are they for doing some work in english? (e.g., I feel more comfortable writing in english, so thesis/dissertation etc.)
  • Are the practicums at francophone institutions in Montreal, or are there also bilingual practicums?
  • Any other general notes/pros/cons about the program? 
Edited by clin.psyc.applicant

Hi all, does anyone know how many reference letters/assessment forms you can reasonably ask for from a given referee? I'm planning to reapply next year to as many schools as possible but don't know enough people to have different referees for different schools. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :) 

2 hours ago, psychapplicant2021 said:

Hi all, does anyone know how many reference letters/assessment forms you can reasonably ask for from a given referee? I'm planning to reapply next year to as many schools as possible but don't know enough people to have different referees for different schools. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :) 

I basically used the same referees for all of my applications (the exception was if a school required 3 academic references instead of 2). I applied to six programs plus CGSM and OGS funding for each school. Once a professor writes you a letter, it's really not too much work for them to submit the same letter to various schools if the criteria is similar. The worst thing that can happen is a prof tells you they can't do it. However, I find that most referees that know you well (especially if it's a supervisor or prof you have a good relationship with) will be more than happy to help out.

On 3/15/2021 at 2:47 PM, VanessaB said:

Opps, one of the practicums in UAlberta’s SCCP PhD program is school-based and the other is clinical-based (I think I accidentally said they’re both clinical), and there’s definitely a dissertation in the PhD! ?

With UAlberta though, I heard that they don't provide stipends for students. How do you make do with rent / research funding, are TA'ships + scholarships enough? 

On 3/18/2021 at 8:26 AM, clin.psyc.applicant said:

hi! I am considering applying to UdeM's clinical psych program next year...I am bilingual (but leaning more on the anglo side), and I was wondering if anyone has any insights about the program? pls feel free to DM me if anyone would like to chat :)

• Are 100% of the classes/clinical training in french? 
  • How accommodating are they for doing some work in english? (e.g., I feel more comfortable writing in english, so thesis/dissertation etc.)
  • Are the practicums at francophone institutions in Montreal, or are there also bilingual practicums?
  • Any other general notes/pros/cons about the program? 

I can't speak to the thesis/dissertation or academic side of things, but I have a couple friends doing practica in clinical and social work areas in MTL-- all of them are more on the francophone side, and I don't think any of them had more than one or two opportunities for a practicum in English. So, it's definitely possible but just less common. Hope that helps!

7 hours ago, washi said:

With UAlberta though, I heard that they don't provide stipends for students. How do you make do with rent / research funding, are TA'ships + scholarships enough? 

They do fund students via scholarships and/or TA/RA work, but funding is not guaranteed, so you may have to work at building connections at first. As students move throughout the program, they get more seniority, so the senior students will get priority over newer students for many of the paid opportunities. I was a little worried about the funding situation when I first started, but with giving it more and more time, in the first calendar year of my program I will have earned just under $21,000. That said, I believe there's someone in my cohort who hasn't received any funding, so the funding varies. 

Another thing to keep in mind is cost of living. Currently, I'm living in downtown Edmonton in a partially renovated apartment which is well over 700 sq feet, and it has a huge balcony (i.e., maybe around 20 feet long). Each month, I pay just over $1250, which includes indoor heated parking, heat, water, and a guarantee that my cat can stay (yes, he pays rent!). In some other provinces, I'd be living in a tiny box for that price.

just wanted to put this out there in case anyone is also attending UBC-O in the fall :)

School: University of British Columbia-Okanagan

TypeMA Clinical Psychology

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Accepted off the waitlist (*will be accepting)

Date Notified: March 18th 2021

DM for POI: Yes!!

Edited by clin.psyc.applicant

Hi everyone! I just accepted my offer to start the Clinical Psychology graduate program at UBC-Vancouver in the Fall. I turned down an offer from UNB today and really hope this opens a spot for someone in here on the waitlist! It was a super difficult decision but I'm so so excited. 

Anyone else in here going to UBC next year for Clinical in Van? Would love to start a groupchat or something ❤️  I'm from NS so will be very excited to make new friends! 

4 minutes ago, Plzletmein said:

Hi! Has anyone heard back from the Tri-Council (CIHR, NSERC etc.,) about funding yet / know when they will send out responses to grant applications? Thanks! 

I received an email yesterday saying that the status of my application had changed. I checked the portal and the status of only one of the three schools had changed. I guess each school has different timelines, but I'm pretty sure we're supposed to officially hear by the last week of March/first week of April.