Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

16 minutes ago, fatnrad said:

This is a funding question for folks going into Carleton's advanced standing MSW: 

I know Carleton gives every student some funding upon offering them a place in their program. Is there a minimum amount of funding that every Carleton MSW student automatically receives? And is additional funding for students with higher grades? Is it attached to TA and RA positions?

I got into York and I'm starting to lean towards it because the tuition is HALF the cost of Carleton (based on fee calculator). York also gives each 1 year MSW student (not sure about 2 year) $10,000 in funding plus extra if they have a higher GPA. Funding is not attached to a Teaching Assistant/ Research Assistant position. 

Any specific info would be much appreciated! 

Hey, I cannot fully recall a minimum funding for every Carleton MSW, but in my acceptance letter they said they allocated funds based on availability and I Believe for TA/RA positions, its given to top 3 students with the highest marks, however anyone else can still apply to be a TA based on the 'outside priority application' criteria. 

I also got into York and I am going to accept York as their funding was much more that Carleton, as you mentioned each students gets a minimum $10, 000 plus more based on GPA. They said that we could apply externally for TA/RA positions, plus right now based on the situation, I am not considering a move. Hope this helps :) 

Been waitlisted at UofT on March 5th. The very next day, March 6th, I received the waitlist offer from Ryerson. Today, just got a waitlist notification from York. These are all the universities I applied to. This is heartbreaking.... The waiting continues... Possibly until September....

27 minutes ago, JadelynA said:

Been waitlisted at UofT on March 5th. The very next day, March 6th, I received the waitlist offer from Ryerson. Today, just got a waitlist notification from York. These are all the universities I applied to. This is heartbreaking.... The waiting continues... Possibly until September....

Aw I’m sorry to hear that. I know the waiting is agonizing but just know that there’s still hope that you’ll be accepted! It’s also important to remember that this is an especially difficult year for admissions and acceptances as COVID has caused a recession and people tend to go back to school when the economy gets hit. I know some schools also let students defer admissions and I’m not sure if that is impacting how many offers they’re sending out this year as well. I guess what I’m trying to say is that there are additional variables to consider this year when it comes to admission decisions that are out of our control. Sending you lots of light and positivity! Hoping you won’t have to wait too long to hear back :) 

24 minutes ago, MSW29 said:

Aw I’m sorry to hear that. I know the waiting is agonizing but just know that there’s still hope that you’ll be accepted! It’s also important to remember that this is an especially difficult year for admissions and acceptances as COVID has caused a recession and people tend to go back to school when the economy gets hit. I know some schools also let students defer admissions and I’m not sure if that is impacting how many offers they’re sending out this year as well. I guess what I’m trying to say is that there are additional variables to consider this year when it comes to admission decisions that are out of our control. Sending you lots of light and positivity! Hoping you won’t have to wait too long to hear back :) 

Thank you for the encouraging words. I am keeping positive and officially starting to re-consider my plans/options this year. I just wish they let you know which part of your application needs work so you know where to focus your efforts next time to improve your chances?

57 minutes ago, JadelynA said:

Gosh, such a difficult place of uncertainty to be sitting. I remember how heartbreaking my rejection email was last year and I can't imagine this is feeling any better for you. I hope you can take some extra time for self-care while you process the news. Fingers crossed that you're near the top of the list and that a spot will open up for you soon.

7 minutes ago, KnitFlamingo said:

Gosh, such a difficult place of uncertainty to be sitting. I remember how heartbreaking my rejection email was last year and I can't imagine this is feeling any better for you. I hope you can take some extra time for self-care while you process the news. Fingers crossed that you're near the top of the list and that a spot will open up for you soon.

Thank you so much for your uplifting words. I am certainly needing this today. I  work full-time on top of my BSW studies and have three young children that keeps me busy so hopefully I will not be thinking too much about this sad news, downside of this is that I do not get much opportunity for self-care either. But I am choosing to stay positive and hopeful? It is very nice to have this community where we can all be supportive to each other

1 hour ago, AlexaS said:

I am on the waiting list for Windsor's 2-year program and when I went onto egas it says no rows found where my application was. Is this happening for anyone else?

This happened to me a few weeks back. I just refreshed the page a few times and it changed back to normal. I've also heard that people have been logging in through a different web browsers and that seems to have helped as well. 

Just now, BingBongBingBong said:

Hey y'all. 

Am I hearing right that some peeps got 2 year program U of T rejections? Is it good news if mine is unchanged (under review)? ?

Best, 

Mine hasn’t changed either and I haven’t seen anything on this forum, just one person I think said they were rejected a few weeks ago. If you don’t mind me asking, where did you hear that people got rejections?

23 minutes ago, BingBongBingBong said:

Hey y'all. 

Am I hearing right that some peeps got 2 year program U of T rejections? Is it good news if mine is unchanged (under review)? ?

Best, 

Mine has remained under review since end of Jan. It seems to me like they have not began the process yet for domestic students. Unsure of what order it goes in for waitlist, rejections, acceptances etc 

Hi everyone,  I was planning to apply to MSW in Windsor this fall. Does anyone know how competitive it is? I have a A- gpa for my last two years of study and about a year and a half experience in the social work field. What's their acceptance rate?

36 minutes ago, Unicornfrrf said:

Hi everyone,  I was planning to apply to MSW in Windsor this fall. Does anyone know how competitive it is? I have a A- gpa for my last two years of study and about a year and a half experience in the social work field. What's their acceptance rate?

Not entirely sure, I am currently on their waitlist and I have about an 84% average and over 2,000 hours of experience in the field.