Favorite Rejection Quotes from the Results Page

NoChance

47 minutes ago, mntfr said:

Not sure if I should put this on this thread but read this:

"On behalf of this university's selection commitee we would like to apologize for the rejection email, that email was sent by mistake due to an error in our system and it was intended for another applicant, as of now the committee has not ruled in your application"

So good news for me bad news to the other person, so sorry man

Well, I know you were reading that hoping it would end differently than it did. lol I know I was.

1 hour ago, Ternwild said:

Well, I know you were reading that hoping it would end differently than it did. lol I know I was.

Hahaha I kinda was, maybe 2 months ago when I was younger and full of hope it would have hurt more, but there is still hope.

this person who applied to a program that is specifically targeted at people with three years or less of experience ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

Columbia University Journalism School MS Program, Masters (S17) Rejected via Website on 15 Mar 2017 A 15 Mar 2017
  • I received a rejection via website, after an email was submitted. I am extremely, extremely shocked. I have 3-4 years of internship experience with Fortune 500 companies and publishing brands in the PR, media and communications industry (Conde Nast, Edelman etc.). I have an extended 2 years of Manager/Director experience in start-up environments including an editorial role with a podcast for CBS Radio. This is more than most admitted students in the program over the years. I can get a top job in Journalism regardless, but it would have been nice to have extensive training from the best school in the world. I do think there is a bit of a bias when it comes to students with strong experiences in writing, who've shown they've already succeeded without graduate level training. I don't think this should intimidate the Dean or Professors, but it seems to be a problem for them (I notice a lot of people who get into the Columbia graduate programs have less than 3 years of experience or no experience at all. I know there are applicants with better experiences than this, but Columbia seems to shy away from them). Best of luck to everyone who was admitted!

they were so close to understanding!!

Edited by plainblacktights
forgot to comment

9 hours ago, plainblacktights said:

this person who applied to a program that is specifically targeted at people with three years or less of experience ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

Columbia University Journalism School MS Program, Masters (S17) Rejected via Website on 15 Mar 2017 A 15 Mar 2017
  • I received a rejection via website, after an email was submitted. I am extremely, extremely shocked. I have 3-4 years of internship experience with Fortune 500 companies and publishing brands in the PR, media and communications industry (Conde Nast, Edelman etc.). I have an extended 2 years of Manager/Director experience in start-up environments including an editorial role with a podcast for CBS Radio. This is more than most admitted students in the program over the years. I can get a top job in Journalism regardless, but it would have been nice to have extensive training from the best school in the world. I do think there is a bit of a bias when it comes to students with strong experiences in writing, who've shown they've already succeeded without graduate level training. I don't think this should intimidate the Dean or Professors, but it seems to be a problem for them (I notice a lot of people who get into the Columbia graduate programs have less than 3 years of experience or no experience at all. I know there are applicants with better experiences than this, but Columbia seems to shy away from them). Best of luck to everyone who was admitted!

they were so close to understanding!!

That's hilarious! I just checked out the program's website, and their degree descriptions are really clear and simple, specifying exactly which one to apply to based on years of experience... sigh.

On 3/17/2019 at 4:27 PM, bibliophile222 said:

That's hilarious! I just checked out the program's website, and their degree descriptions are really clear and simple, specifying exactly which one to apply to based on years of experience... sigh.

A journalist who doesn't like to read... ? I can see why they rejected them.

• 2 weeks later...

?? Poor dude. There's no place like home?

University Of Toronto Computer Science, Masters (F19) Rejected via E-mail on 29 Mar 2019 I 29 Mar 2019
  • report spam
  • Rejections from CMU, UIUC, UBC, UTA and now UoT. Only 3 colleges left. Decided to go big or go home. Home appears likely.

This post is all over the place. 

Dartmouth PEMM, PhD (F19) Rejected via E-mail on 1 Apr 2019 A 3 Apr 2019
  • report spam
  • Safety program so I am surprised. Great weekend but hated the female URI student rep. Not a good rep for the program. Going to arguably the top US cancer bio program anyway

I hope this is satire. It must be, right?

(How do people go out of an interview and think, "If I don't get this, the school must be not only wrong but corrupt"?)

UC San Francisco (UCSF) Biomedical Sciences, PhD (F19) Rejected via E-mail on 18 Feb 2019   3 Apr 2019
  • report spam
  • Only institution that rejected me after an interview. I was accepted into PhD programs at institutions that sh!t on UCSF's research as reflected by their higher ranking/prestige, so their decision seemed highly political. Therefore I must concur with an earlier post stating that UCSF's selection committee makes decisions based on politics instead of actual merit. #CollegeAdmissionsScandal2.0

can I submit my own result? because "we strongly recommend that you take someone else's offer for your sake" is one hell of a line

University Of Washington Linguistics, PhD (F19) Wait listed via E-mail on 5 Apr 2019 I 5 Apr 2019
  • I emailed them to ask about a time frame and they replied to say I'm technically on the waitlist but, and I quote, "we strongly recommend that you take someone else's offer for your sake." So I'm going to take that as a no, and happily stay in the EU for another two years at least.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:00 AM, feralgrad said:

For those who don't know, the Iowa Writer's Workshop is the premier creative writing program in the US. As such, applying there turns people into rabid animals.

Untitled2.png

At least the guy admits he's a dick.

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch!

River.thumb.JPG.8ba767fefaa018040d3a0603c9f0c760.JPG

I have a thing against UCR after last year. I was interviewed in January and they sent my rejection for Fall '18 in October/18.

If you are charging $125 to apply, at least have the decency to notify your candidates.

• 7 months later...