I assume if we haven't heard from Harvard Epi yet we are being rejected? (Historically it looks like acceptances all come on the same day.) Does anyone know if they roll out admission offers by track? For those who have been accepted, what track are you? I'm infectious disease epi.

Edited by epi111

On 2/16/2018 at 6:40 PM, emjayco said:

I know. I was really beginning to resent that poor smiling student who thought she was just posing for promotional pictures and they put her on the WORST PAGE EVER. Poor lady.

Hahaha. I'm pretty sure she has no idea. She was in my MPH cohort at Hopkins 3 years ago.

First time poster. This site is terrible for mental health but also having a community of people going through the same thing is comforting, lol.

I know I'm a strong candidate, top MPH program, extensive work experience (mostly global outbreak response) and yet I am feeling really discouraged right now. I've gotten 2 rejections, 1 interview and radio silence from the other schools. Hard not to feel like a failure. I'm not sure what else I could have done to make myself more competitive. Maybe better GRE scores? I'm a little dejected :-(

14 hours ago, emjayco said:

I'm with you. Especially to have time to visit before April 15th if needed. My March work schedule is practically full so if I need to take some days off to visit somewhere, I need to know now! Also cause my brain can't handle this stress anymore.

PREACH. There's really not much time left (let alone weekends to travel) before April 15!

49 minutes ago, epi111 said:

I assume if we haven't heard from Harvard Epi yet we are being rejected? (Historically it looks like acceptances all come on the same day.) Does anyone know if they roll out admission offers by track? For those who have been accepted, what track are you? I'm infectious disease epi.

We'll probably find out on Friday. I feel like I'm in the same boat as you. They might feel that rejections come better on a Friday but don't account for all of us that check this forum daily and know that acceptances already came out...

19 minutes ago, 2018HopesDwindling said:

First time poster. This site is terrible for mental health but also having a community of people going through the same thing is comforting, lol.

I know I'm a strong candidate, top MPH program, extensive work experience (mostly global outbreak response) and yet I am feeling really discouraged right now. I've gotten 2 rejections, 1 interview and radio silence from the other schools. Hard not to feel like a failure. I'm not sure what else I could have done to make myself more competitive. Maybe better GRE scores? I'm a little dejected :-(

I'm not sure if it's your first cycle or not but I would say don't be too discouraged. I've talked to many PhD students at top programs in their final years feel like they couldn't make the cut for admission today. Lots of schools just don't have the funding to support PhD students today - especially in public health. Plus, some portion of PhD students are taking longer - and their continued need for funding definitely shrinks the size of future classes.

I also went to a top school for my masters and then had a couple years of work experience. I feel like I have a lot more publications than the average applicant and pretty strong GRE scores (especially when looking at the percentiles). Yet, I was rejected by programs where I knew faculty were interested and engaged with my research interests.

This is my second cycle and I will be walking away with one acceptance with a program I really excited about. I spend the time between my last application and this one building up a better CV but also networking. If you feel that you're a strong applicant then my biggest recommendation (if you want to apply again) is start talking to faculty members in your field of interest sooner rather than later. If you're doing research right now and there's a project where you can start pulling in co-authors from other institutions then do it. Make sure people know that you'll be applying again and make sure you have advocates so that when your application heads to committee you are a known entity. And then expect to still not get multiple offers. That's just where we are today in this race for a few precious funded spots.

36 minutes ago, storm_jonas said:

We'll probably find out on Friday. I feel like I'm in the same boat as you. They might feel that rejections come better on a Friday but don't account for all of us that check this forum daily and know that acceptances already came out...

I'm not sure if it's your first cycle or not but I would say don't be too discouraged. I've talked to many PhD students at top programs in their final years feel like they couldn't make the cut for admission today. Lots of schools just don't have the funding to support PhD students today - especially in public health. Plus, some portion of PhD students are taking longer - and their continued need for funding definitely shrinks the size of future classes.

I also went to a top school for my masters and then had a couple years of work experience. I feel like I have a lot more publications than the average applicant and pretty strong GRE scores (especially when looking at the percentiles). Yet, I was rejected by programs where I knew faculty were interested and engaged with my research interests.

This is my second cycle and I will be walking away with one acceptance with a program I really excited about. I spend the time between my last application and this one building up a better CV but also networking. If you feel that you're a strong applicant then my biggest recommendation (if you want to apply again) is start talking to faculty members in your field of interest sooner rather than later. If you're doing research right now and there's a project where you can start pulling in co-authors from other institutions then do it. Make sure people know that you'll be applying again and make sure you have advocates so that when your application heads to committee you are a known entity. And then expect to still not get multiple offers. That's just where we are today in this race for a few precious funded spots.

Thank you, that was kind and helpful. This is my first cycle and I'm trying to focus on ways forward. It's not over until April 15th but regardless of the outcome, this process is definitely toughening me up. Like many of us, I'm used to succeeding on the first try (undergrad and master's) so this is a new feeling. No one likes rejection but there is something to be learned.

So I'm assuming if I haven't heard back from UNC's Health Behavior program (No interview or email in spam folder) I didn't get in. According to the results there was a wave of acceptances last week. Has anyone received a rejection yet?

Edited by tt123

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, HealthServicesGirl said:

Congrats to those admitted to Michigan's HSOP PhD program! Has anyone who wasn't admitted heard from them? I haven't heard anything and there are no updates in my portal on Wolverine Access. Am I to assume I'm wait listed/rejected, or is there still hope?

I emailed the program director to inquire about the timeline. A few days later I received an email from Mindy with an acceptance.

7 hours ago, pbcup said:

I see on the survey that somebody received an acceptance to UMich PhD in Epi? Anybody want to claim that, and for what concentration? Thanks! 

Hi there! I WISH it was my post :) but I wanted to let you know that I haven’t heard anything either. It looks like it was just one person so maybe they’re sending them out piecemeal. 

18 hours ago, Embee said:

Hey guys...

I'm not sure what to think. I am seeing postings for interviews and accepts at programs I applied for but to date, I've heard nothing. I'm a bit freaked out. I know I'm an outstanding candidate (great SOP, LORs, past awards and publications) however my GRE was just average. I sent applications to Harvard PHS, Columbia, NYU and Rutgers... all for PhD in the Social and Behavioral concentration. 

I've been checking my email religiously and nothing. I can't believe I didn't even get an interview? The only issue might be that because I'm currently in Kenya doing research as a Fulbright scholar, my phone listed on my application is not active. Could that be the issue or should I just give up hope that I've been accepted anywhere?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I am sorry for your radio silence. I know I have been getting most of my contacts through email or school portals if they have them. However, some interviews were set up by phone. I would recommend reaching out by email or Skype to follow up. I have been if I am concerned, and schools are used to that. I think mentioning that you are in Kenya as a Fulbright Scholar (because how cool is that?!) and are concerned you have missed phone communication as a result is a perfectly legitimate reason to follow up on your application! They may let you know they have not sent out information, or if you are waitlisted/rejected you could inquire as to what you could do to make your application stronger next year. Plus, then at least you know?

9 hours ago, tt123 said:

So I'm assuming if I haven't heard back from UNC's Health Behavior program (No interview or email in spam folder) I didn't get in. According to the results there was a wave of acceptances last week. Has anyone received a rejection yet?

I spoke to someone who got no email or notification when everyone else did last week but today finally had a change in her portal that let her know she was waitlisted. That is the most recent update I have heard since that wave last week.

13 hours ago, jr_tnd said:

Hahaha. I'm pretty sure she has no idea. She was in my MPH cohort at Hopkins 3 years ago.

Oh my goodness. That fact that you know her makes it so much better. She looks so happy and beautiful. I hope she does not find out her face taunts us all.

Edited by emjayco
Combining multiple posts

1 hour ago, pkv said:

CPH... But I'm not even sure if I put it in my CV.

Would you say, or any one with input, that it matters when it comes to applying to PhD programs?

My mph program pretty much said that it's pointless to be ches or CPH. 

53 minutes ago, hccgrl said:

Would you say, or any one with input, that it matters when it comes to applying to PhD programs?

My mph program pretty much said that it's pointless to be ches or CPH. 

It's never come up in talks about doctoral programs with mentors/advisors/POIs or in the interviews I've had so far, but it can't hurt to have these certifications.

I certainly did not emphasize it in my apps.