Fall 2020 Clinical/Counseling Interview Invites

justacigar

2 hours ago, thelmaneb said:

Has anyone heard from Florida's Counseling Psychology Program? I saw someone post that they got a rejection... was that an email to check the portal? Have people been invited to interviews? 

I was wondering the same thing! I haven’t heard at all 

5 hours ago, nowimswimming said:

I received a text from a POI i applied to on 12/23 to have an informal phone interview and we scheduled for 12/26. Then he cancelled it and said he would reach out after Christmas to find a new date. I didn't hear anything from him and then reached out on 1/9 and said I was available next week, and he said he would reach out then. Now it's 2 more weeks later and I just sent another text asking when we might be able to connect. Is this normal? Am i handling this correctly? Insight?

Ahh that sounds nice and stressful! Do you know when the program's official interview date is? If it's still pretty far out I would just wait for him to get back in touch with you. If it's close... honestly I would still wait for him to reach back out. I think you've done everything you can to try and coordinate on your end, hopefully he's just swamped and will reach out soon/eventually.

One of my schools sent out rejections last Thursday and Friday it seems, but I haven’t seen any interview invites yet. I need to book one of my flights for the end of Feb for another school’s interview day and the school’s interview date is two days after so I can’t book until I know where I’ll be flying in and out of! Is it weird to call and ask when they will be sending invites?

13 hours ago, Mbp213 said:

I was wondering the same thing! I haven’t heard at all 

I’m so confused because two of my friend who applied previously never heard from them- no interview, acceptance or rejection ever. Just ignored their application:/ 

9 minutes ago, clinicalphd2020 said:

Anyone have updates from Temple? I know they said 2 weeks, and I emailed RF and asked for an update but hadn't heard back. Did anyone else have more luck?

I'm likewise waiting, haven't heard a thing yet

45 minutes ago, clinicalpsych.2020 said:

One of my schools sent out rejections last Thursday and Friday it seems, but I haven’t seen any interview invites yet. I need to book one of my flights for the end of Feb for another school’s interview day and the school’s interview date is two days after so I can’t book until I know where I’ll be flying in and out of! Is it weird to call and ask when they will be sending invites?

I am certainly no expert, but that sounds like a totally reasonable thing to do. Worst case maybe you can buy trip insurance if you need to change your flight.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:23 AM, EHL343 said:

I am certainly no expert, but that sounds like a totally reasonable thing to do. Worst case maybe you can buy trip insurance if you need to change your flight.

Best advice I got from grad students in my lab is to book through Southwest if possible. They have no cancellation fees and you just basically get credit in your account to book another flight through them in the next year and pay the difference. This only helps if there are reasonable flights through Southwest for you and the area you're going to/coming from, but something to think about!

Heads up for anyone like me who applied to University of Montana in hopes of their new Child/Family faculty being hired before app season is over: This is the response I received from the director on 1/16:

"We have interviewed three candidates on campus and extended an offer. As these things tend to go, we’re now in ‘wait’ mode. I’m very hopeful that we’ll have some clarity within the next couple of weeks."

note: posted in another forum also 

Hi everyone! 
I had a question some of you may know the answer to! I have my first interview for my top program this weekend. The lab I am applying to is only accepting 1-2 students. Does anyone know typically how many students are brought in to interview per position? I was told by my POI I made it to the top 5%, but I’m still not sure how many other applicants there will be applying for this lab.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Louvre said:

@webbz_world93 five to ten students interviewed per spot available in the programs I’m familiar with. Congrats on getting an interview for your top program!

Thank you for the reply!!! I was hoping it would be around that! And thank you! I’ve received mostly rejections so far, so I’m hoping this goes well ? best of luck to you also!! 

20 minutes ago, Louvre said:

@webbz_world93 five to ten students interviewed per spot available in the programs I’m familiar with. Congrats on getting an interview for your top program!

Wow, really up to 10 in-person interviews for one slot is typical? That seems super high. I've always heard 3 - 6. 10 makes me nervous lol 

2 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Wow, really up to 10 in-person interviews for one slot is typical? That seems super high. I've always heard 3 - 6. 10 makes me nervous lol 

Yes, I applied both last year and for this current cycle and from what I've seen/heard, 3-5 at most is most common for one spot. That being said, I also have experience with programs that invite 8-10 applicants for one spot (I can think of two programs in particular) and frankly, like others have mentioned, it rubs me the wrong way. One of them specifically states that the odds are stacked against you if you choose to interview via Skype and do not come in person and that puts a massive financial burden on applicants for a ~ 12% likelihood of acceptance.