Fall 2020 Clinical/Counseling Interview Invites

justacigar

A current graduate student working with a POI who's invited me to interview reached out via email to answer any questions I may have before the interview. I don't think I have any questions, but am interested in hearing what y'all might ask that could be useful to know before interviews.

*I really want to ask "How many people is he interviewing and for how many slots?" Lol, I know that isn't appropriate, but it's my only burning question.*

4 minutes ago, clinicalpsych.2020 said:

A current graduate student working with a POI who's invited me to interview reached out via email to answer any questions I may have before the interview. I don't think I have any questions, but am interested in hearing what y'all might ask that could be useful to know before interviews.

*I really want to ask "How many people is he interviewing and for how many slots?" Lol, I know that isn't appropriate, but it's my only burning question.*

I'm in the same boat. 

4 minutes ago, clinicalpsych.2020 said:

If you haven't already gotten an itinerary, maybe asking if there are any meet and greets or dinners while you are there. Maybe questions about the weather so you know how to dress? There's always weather apps, but depending on how far out, they may not be accurate. 

3 minutes ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

If you haven't already gotten an itinerary, maybe asking if there are any meet and greets or dinners while you are there. Maybe questions about the weather so you know how to dress? There's always weather apps, but depending on how far out, they may not be accurate. 

I second this, I asked about weather, about non-interview day activities (the night before, etc). I kept the questions pretty basic. I also don't know if the grad student current works with my POI, it's just the student providing housing for me. 

School: University of Nevada, Las Vegas

Type: PhD (Clinical)

Date of invite: 1/9/2020

Type of invite: Email from PI asking for a phone call to discuss ongoing lab research, my research interests, and my career goals early next week. I'm not sure if other UNLV profs conduct phone interviews before in-person invites. This also might be a situation specific to myself and my PI, as we have had prior email contact. DM for PI.

just a quick question, hopefully! does anyone know much about John F. Kennedy University’s PsyD program?

I just got an interview for them via email, and I’m not sure if I should wait for more applications/wait till next year or proceed with their program.

I looked up their ratings, reviews, and program information and couldn’t find much background on them. If someone has any info that’d be awesome! 

13 hours ago, laniekid said:

Washington University in St. Louis posters who were rejected, can you please dm me whether this was a mass email or direct from POI? Thank you!!! Haven't been rejected yet so I'm wondering if I should hold out hope

Same.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I think if we haven't heard anything we've got a little chance. I think the ones rejected had an interview already.

Can anyone chime in?

1 hour ago, clinicalpsych.2020 said:

Do you mind if I ask if this was for UNT? Because I got a very similar email! 

I'm going to read over my POI's research and try and come up with any questions like what current projects really entail, different time commitments, balancing life, etc etc. Skills that have been picked up on. 

To the GW poster on the results page or anyone who might know - would we have received an actual rejection notification if we were rejected? I didn’t hear anything, so just wondering if that means there’s definitely still a possibility of receiving an interview later or if I could be rejected right now... thanks :)

2 hours ago, psychologyyyy said:

I have noticed some people have University of Oregon as a rejection on their post signatures. Are these formal rejections or assumed ones? Thanks!

When I followed up with the PI I applied to, they let me know that my application wasn't selected for interview. 

1 hour ago, KimPossible said:

just a quick question, hopefully! does anyone know much about John F. Kennedy University’s PsyD program?

I just got an interview for them via email, and I’m not sure if I should wait for more applications/wait till next year or proceed with their program.

I looked up their ratings, reviews, and program information and couldn’t find much background on them. If someone has any info that’d be awesome! 

Their internship match rates are pretty abysmal (you really only want to look at APA-accredited match rate). Also, taking out over $100k in student loans for a clinical psychology degree is not really recommended. Clinical psychologists simply do not make enough to warrant 6 figures of student loan debt. They also have a 70% licensure rate. PsyDs aren't going into academia, so what are the other 30% of their graduates doing? As a current PsyD student, I would stay away. It doesn't seem worth it. 

Cross-posting from sdn

School: University of Mississippi
Program Type: Clinical Psychology Ph.D.
Date of Invite: December 11, 2019
Type of Invite: Phone call + email
Interview Date: February 7th and 8th, 2020 (in-person)

School: Eastern Tennessee State University
Date of invite: January 8, 2020
Type of invite: Phone call
Interview date(s): February 14th or February 17th

School: Virginia Consortium
Date of invite: January 10, 2020
Type of invite: Email
Interview date(s): January 31st

Feel free to PM for POI

5 hours ago, Haybay0204 said:

I'm waiting to hear back from LSU, Mississippi State, University of Southern Mississippi, and Texas Tech.

If anyone has heard from them, please let me know?

I've seen some people who have heard from POI for LSU and Texas Tech.

I have heard from MSU. The e-mail seemed to be part of a mass-emailing, but I have seen people reporting new offers since, so maybe it's still offering?

4 hours ago, please accept me said:

Does anyone know if all Southern Methodist and Univ. of Houston invites have been sent out? I've seen people here and there post about interviews (congrats!), but they all seem POI specific... just wondering if there's still hope lol. Thanks!

My UH invite seemed to be POI specific, but their interview date is coming at the beginning of Feb...

5 hours ago, clinicalpsych.2020 said:

Ask what the PI's mentoring style is like (are they very hands-off? are they usually available for questions or office hours?),

it's also important to ask what their current research projects are, you can also ask about what conferences they attend and what journals are students usually publishing in (so you can see 1. if they are successful at publishing, 2. the impact factor of journals they are published in, and 3. if the journals sound similar to, perhaps, what your research ideas could be published in.).

Ask the student questions about living in the certain town they are residing in (cost of living, recreational activities, etc.).

This is a great time to ask all of those important questions that could help determine whether this program would fit your needs for the next 5 years. But also, remember that this is an INTERVIEW. Every person you talk to in that department is part of the interview process and it WILL affect their decision, so be professional and courteous. Good luck!!

Edited by caffeine+cats
Edited to add more info

1 minute ago, jujusr said:

Question: what's next in terms of the application if I dont receive the first around (assuming thats the case) of interview? does the application status automatically change to "rejected"?

Depends on the school. Some don't send rejections until people are done accepting offers. Others do before Interview offers go out.