2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

School: Ryerson

Program: Clinical Psychology, MA

Interview Type: Secondary interview with professor who is not my POI, clinical interview

Date of Invite: January 27, 2021

School: Ryerson

Program: Clinical Psychology, MA

Interview Type: Invite from Graduate Program Administrator for the virtual visiting day

Date of Invite: January 29, 2021

4 hours ago, admissionsrhard said:

So I've been told that the interview invites have already been sent out. It seems that if you did not get one you were not shortlisted. 

Is this for all 3 streams of Clinical Psych and is this what the Graduate Secretary (Nancy Williams) mentioned? There haven't been many posts this cycle so I'm somewhat lost on what's going on there...

Hello everyone! I just wanted to clear up some confusion because people seem very stressed. I misunderstood when I spoke about Windsor! Too keep things short and save some embarrassment Windsor is likely STILL sending out invites and the person I know who got an interview was for child psychology. So if you haven't heard anythig do not panic they are probably still coming! I am so sorry if this added to your stress!

-Justin

1 hour ago, Stilicho said:

Hey guys, it has already passed the virtual interview days for UTSC, so I can assume that I got rejected, right? Just want to get it out of my mind.

Thats my thinking as well. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Hi everyone! I'm just wondering, for those of us assuming rejection at this point, do you folks think experimental MA degrees are a good option to increase your chances in future years? For those of you with an MA, do you think it helped you get interviews/acceptances? Just wondering whether it's worth it to go this route (especially since it may cost extra time/money), or looking for any tips, really, to have a bit more success next year :)

Hello everyone, hope you all are well. This may be a bit off-topic for this thread, but I wanted to ask if any of knew what the employment prospects are like for those who graduate from unaccredited PsyD or PhD programs. For example, does anyone here know of graduates of the pre-accreditation McMaster RCT program finding pre-doctoral internships and jobs easily? What about the Memorial University of Newfoundland program before it was accredited?

I also want to know whether in general you think it is worth attending an unaccredited program such as the recently formed PsyD one at UPEI. There, it is not only an unaccredited program (although they say they are actively seeking accreditation but unsure of the timeline), but also a university that is virtually unranked. Does that make attending this program too much of a risk? Or ultimately do you think this kind of name and prestige-related factors cease to matter if you prove you are good at your job?

Would very much appreciate your insight regarding the above.

15 hours ago, psychapplicant2021 said:

Hi everyone! I'm just wondering, for those of us assuming rejection at this point, do you folks think experimental MA degrees are a good option to increase your chances in future years? For those of you with an MA, do you think it helped you get interviews/acceptances? Just wondering whether it's worth it to go this route (especially since it may cost extra time/money), or looking for any tips, really, to have a bit more success next year :)

I am not applying with a Masters, so I don't have direct insight. However, my supervisor in undergrad encouraged me to apply for Experimental Psych as a back door into Clinical. The thing is, most universities do not recommend doing this, but people still manage to do it. When my supervisor was in grad school in the early 2000s, she knew of multiple people from her Exp. class that got into Clinical at the same University after 1-year of Experimental (they didn't fully complete the Masters). The idea is that if you make a name for yourself, especially with the quality of your research, that you can gain attention from the Clinical faculty. 

This was just her opinion, I've heard others argue against this. The other scenario, that I think you are getting at, is that you actually fully complete a Masters before applying to Clinical. I think the simple answer to your question is that Yes, it would definitely increase your chances as a clinical applicant. If you look at the Admissions Data for Clinical, you'll notice more and more successful applicants who already had Masters. Unfortunately, this way is also a lot of extra work if it's not what you actually want to do. 

17 hours ago, psychapplicant2021 said:

As someone with an M.Sc. I was advised against pursuing an M.A. in exp. psych by a DCT from a clinical program (although that could be because I already had a master's). A master's CAN help, but it's not a guarantee. A better option would be to work in a research setting and getting a paper/poster. Something that can happen in an M.A. as well. Regardless, most people that get in already have a master's so it wouldn't hurt you but if you can get a research position where you can work as an author that would be equally as good. Food for thought.

Edited by Rawulf
Missed details.

2 hours ago, WickedWorld91 said:

I am not applying with a Masters, so I don't have direct insight. However, my supervisor in undergrad encouraged me to apply for Experimental Psych as a back door into Clinical. The thing is, most universities do not recommend doing this, but people still manage to do it. When my supervisor was in grad school in the early 2000s, she knew of multiple people from her Exp. class that got into Clinical at the same University after 1-year of Experimental (they didn't fully complete the Masters). The idea is that if you make a name for yourself, especially with the quality of your research, that you can gain attention from the Clinical faculty. 

This was just her opinion, I've heard others argue against this. The other scenario, that I think you are getting at, is that you actually fully complete a Masters before applying to Clinical. I think the simple answer to your question is that Yes, it would definitely increase your chances as a clinical applicant. If you look at the Admissions Data for Clinical, you'll notice more and more successful applicants who already had Masters. Unfortunately, this way is also a lot of extra work if it's not what you actually want to do. 

49 minutes ago, Rawulf said:

As someone with an M.Sc. I was advised against pursuing an M.A. in exp. psych by a DCT from a clinical program (although that could be because I already had a master's). A master's CAN help, but it's not a guarantee. A better option would be to work in a research setting and getting a paper/poster. Something that can happen in an M.A. as well. Regardless, most people that get in already have a master's so it wouldn't hurt you but if you can get a research position where you can work as an author that would be equally as good. Food for thought.

Thank you both, this is all really interesting and helpful! I'd actually never heard of the more backdoor approach - definitely sounds ideal, although I'd be pretty nervous relying on that since it could potentially not work. The full masters degree definitely does seem like a lot of extra time/money/work so I would rather gain experience in a research setting during my year(s) off if possible, although I can see how either option would probably work as long as some publications/posters came out of it. I'll definitely keep both of your insight in mind and appreciate you sharing! 

Edited by psychapplicant2021

Hi!  I'm planning on applying to clinical psych programs for the next admission cycle, and I was wondering if any current students (or anyone who has gotten interviews / knows current students etc), has had not-stellar undergraduate grades, but has taken extra courses after finishing and managed to make up for it?

I graduated a couple of years ago but I had a hard time in my undergrad and my grades definitely show it... I have research experience and a couple of publications, and I've been thinking of taking some extra classes online at Athabasca to show that I've improved and to boost my GPA, but I'm worried that even just having such bad grades on my transcript will prevent me from making it through the first screening process. I know some schools say they only look at the last 2 years, but if I have some *really* bad grades, will that taint my whole application, or is it worth trying to take some extra classes? Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks!

An update for folks who have applied to Lakehead's clinical MA program: I spoke with their secretary recently, who said that the department is currently in the process of developing A, B, and C lists (top-tier, second-tier, do not admit). The A and B lists will be distributed to POIs the week of February 8th-12th. Applicants may be contacted with offers around this time (they do not have formal interviews, although your POI may or may not contact you to meet informally). If your proposed supervisor(s) is not able to supervise you, but they think you would be a good fit for the program, they will contact you about other potential supervisors you would be interested in working with. Offers will be sent out in small amounts at a time trickling down these lists until they have between 5-7 accepted offers. I just wanted to let everyone know that offers will likely be made from February until possibly April, so don't panic if people start receiving offers mid-February! Hope that helps give a little bit of clarity. Good luck!!

Edited by xChiliPepps

1 minute ago, Regina77 said:

HI Everyone

Who else dreads and anticipates Mondays? Here comes another week of watching. At least we get a break on the weekends lol.

Me! I feel like as of 5:00 pm Friday I can relax a little and stop refreshing and then Monday am the anxiety amps right back up again! I do not like this process! 

Hi everyone! I just found this website and thought I'd ask, for those attending Ryerson's visiting day, did anyone's prospective supervisors give them an idea of the timeline from this point on? I noticed in past years decisions appeared to be made around mid-Feb., although I believe in those years interviews would've all taken place during visiting day itself so I'm wondering if the timeline will look different this year. If anyone has any info, please let me know! (feel free to PM if you'd prefer :))

Edited by psychapp2021

Hi everyone, bit of a strange question but... 

Is it "unaccepted" to reach out to new POIs from a program that you have already been interviewed with (with a different POI). For example, if you became more interested in a different POI during the interview stage, would it be disadvantageous to reach out to this POI?

1 hour ago, psychstudent2020 said:

Hi everyone, bit of a strange question but... 

Is it "unaccepted" to reach out to new POIs from a program that you have already been interviewed with (with a different POI). For example, if you became more interested in a different POI during the interview stage, would it be disadvantageous to reach out to this POI?

I think if you generally want to let them know you enjoyed talking with them and are interested in their research, then that's great! Programs like to see that prospective applicants will get along with many  faculty members and not just  their PI. You will have committee members, practicum supervisors, etc that you will be developing relationships with throughout your degree. So, I think showing that interest would demonstrate your overall excitement and interest in the program.

If however, you want to inquire about switching which POI you would like as your primary supervisor and you have already gone through formal interviews, I would advise against this. Like I mentioned, if you are admitted you may have opportunities to collaborate with this faculty member in some fashion. I have not heard of anyone doing this and I think it may come off unfocused and unprofessional. Not to mention your primary POI might feel shafted (even if the other faculty member has overlapping interests). You could inquire about the possibility of co-supervision, but I would only personally inquire about this if and when I received an official offer. 

1 hour ago, psychapp2021 said:

Hi everyone! I just found this website and thought I'd ask, for those attending Ryerson's visiting day, did anyone's prospective supervisors give them an idea of the timeline from this point on? I noticed in past years decisions appeared to be made around mid-Feb., although I believe in those years interviews would've all taken place during visiting day itself so I'm wondering if the timeline will look different this year. If anyone has any info, please let me know! (feel free to PM if you'd prefer :))

That's a good question! I wonder if it will be quicker this year because (most) interviews have been conducted. If anyone has any insight on this it would be much appreciated!