1 hour ago, ianmleavitt said:

I'm honestly in a strange daze right now. My official acceptance for Harvard's Population Health Sciences program came through a bit ago (Social and Behavioral Sciences concentration). I was not expecting this, at all.

I feel the same way! I was accepted to Harvard PHS-Epi today and I still can't fully believe it.

6 minutes ago, epi_aspire said:

I feel the same way! I was accepted to Harvard PHS-Epi today and I still can't fully believe it.

@epi_aspire Congrats!! I'm still waiting to hear back. Which track within epidemiology did you apply to?

1 hour ago, B_behavioral_11 said:

Congrats! You interviewed with Harvard yes? 

Yes, I had two separate video interviews. One with a POI and another with someone not mentioned in my SoP

41 minutes ago, mph2015 said:

? in at Ha(r)va(r)d!?!!! Oh my...totally unexpected. This changes things...

Congrats!!!!!!!!!! Were you interviewed at Harvard though?

14 minutes ago, A_A said:

Congrats!!!!!!!!!! Were you interviewed at Harvard though?

Yes but I didn't feel great about it...it was really awkward haha one was with the POI who I had mentioned in my SOP and contacted prior to applying. The other was a "random" person and I don't think he was impressed by me 

4 minutes ago, mph2015 said:

Yes but I didn't feel great about it...it was really awkward haha one was with the POI who I had mentioned in my SOP and contacted prior to applying. The other was a "random" person and I don't think he was impressed by me 

I think all interviews are awkward...and make you feel like you could have done wayyyy better, but who cares now right, lol :P Congrats again!!!

4 minutes ago, A_A said:

I think all interviews are awkward...and make you feel like you could have done wayyyy better, but who cares now right, lol :P Congrats again!!!

Haha that's true! But I feel uncertain about the chemistry... I had much better vibes interviewing at Brown and felt like communication was much better from them. Lots to consider right now!

1 hour ago, mph2015 said:

? in at Ha(r)va(r)d!?!!! Oh my...totally unexpected. This changes things...

Congrats!! Which concentration within the epi track did you apply to?

4 minutes ago, mph2015 said:

Haha that's true! But I feel uncertain about the chemistry... I had much better vibes interviewing at Brown and felt like communication was much better from them. Lots to consider right now!

Hmmmm...interesting - yeah, I guess both Brown and Harvard provide funding too so money isn't a concern. It's tough, but chemistry with your future supervisor in a PhD program can make you love or hate the program - you should contact them further to vibe it out. Communication is very important for sure.

4 hours ago, beepboopbeepboop said:

Guys, I know I'm being super impatient / slowly descending into madness, but I feel like March is crazy late, especially compared to the other disciplines! Give us the news, people!

I'm with you. Especially to have time to visit before April 15th if needed. My March work schedule is practically full so if I need to take some days off to visit somewhere, I need to know now! Also cause my brain can't handle this stress anymore.

38 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

For those who were waiting on UCLA -- I just got rejected (le sigh). 3/3 on the rejections - waiting on 4 more :ph34r:

Feels like I just wrote that myself. I also just got my rejection notification from them and I'm 3/3 on the rejections. Now just waiting on 5 more. I didn't have interviews anywhere though. I didn't realize my application was THAT weak... 

7 minutes ago, linnbear said:

Feels like I just wrote that myself. I also just got my rejection notification from them and I'm 3/3 on the rejections. Now just waiting on 5 more. I didn't have interviews anywhere though. I didn't realize my application was THAT weak... 

We are on the same boat — I haven’t had any interviews either. Some intel I gathered from at least one of the programs is that the GRE scores are making all the difference. So here’s to retaking them ....<_<

17 minutes ago, linnbear said:

10 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

We are on the same boat — I haven’t had any interviews either. Some intel I gathered from at least one of the programs is that the GRE scores are making all the difference. So here’s to retaking them ....<_<

Hey now! Not every school interviews so there's still hope! Hang in there !

Hey guys...

I'm not sure what to think. I am seeing postings for interviews and accepts at programs I applied for but to date, I've heard nothing. I'm a bit freaked out. I know I'm an outstanding candidate (great SOP, LORs, past awards and publications) however my GRE was just average. I sent applications to Harvard PHS, Columbia, NYU and Rutgers... all for PhD in the Social and Behavioral concentration. 

I've been checking my email religiously and nothing. I can't believe I didn't even get an interview? The only issue might be that because I'm currently in Kenya doing research as a Fulbright scholar, my phone listed on my application is not active. Could that be the issue or should I just give up hope that I've been accepted anywhere?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

1 hour ago, Embee said:

Hey guys...

I'm not sure what to think. I am seeing postings for interviews and accepts at programs I applied for but to date, I've heard nothing. I'm a bit freaked out. I know I'm an outstanding candidate (great SOP, LORs, past awards and publications) however my GRE was just average. I sent applications to Harvard PHS, Columbia, NYU and Rutgers... all for PhD in the Social and Behavioral concentration. 

I've been checking my email religiously and nothing. I can't believe I didn't even get an interview? The only issue might be that because I'm currently in Kenya doing research as a Fulbright scholar, my phone listed on my application is not active. Could that be the issue or should I just give up hope that I've been accepted anywhere?

Hey Embee, sorry to hear you haven't heard back from any universities yet. For me, the process has been a total crapshoot. I got rejected from all of the universities I thought were safeties, and have gotten interviews at my reaches. I think universities care a lot about "fit" and random variables that are hard to control for.

That said, last week a bunch of people got into UNC without interviews or any contact from POIs whatsoever since submitting their application. So don't give up hope just yet! ;)

1 hour ago, person122 said:

Hey Embee, sorry to hear you haven't heard back from any universities yet. For me, the process has been a total crapshoot. I got rejected from all of the universities I thought were safeties, and have gotten interviews at my reaches. I think universities care a lot about "fit" and random variables that are hard to control for.

That said, last week a bunch of people got into UNC without interviews or any contact from POIs whatsoever since submitting their application. So don't give up hope just yet! ;)

Thanks for the feedback... I guess I'll just remain hoping for the best. I did talk to all my POIs before hand, with informal Skype chats, in some cases over 2 hours long. It was a really good fit, and my mentor who wrote a LOR is well-known by all of them. 

Even a rejection now would be nice because it would put be at ease that at least someone read my applications!

I suppose one more week isn't too long to wait.

3 hours ago, Embee said:

Hey guys...

I have a feeling that without GRE scores higher than the average for the program, it's a real uphill battle making it past the first screening. A friend of mine who applied to the same doctoral programs as me did not receive interview requests whereas i received a couple, even though her CV and experiences are objectively more extensive and relevant than mine. It's impossible to say for sure but I think having GRE scores that are average or lower than average make it really hard to stand out initially. And even if you do make it past them, there will often be more qualified candidates than available slots.

That being said, I've found reaching out and making a connection with faculty can mitigate this to a degree (that same friend got accepted to a program after a series of enthusiastic chats with various faculty before she applied), as long as you can make it past an admissions committee. Anyway dont lose hope and if there are schools who are still accepting applications, I would recommend applying just in case, provided they are a good fit for you.