Fall 2019 Clinical Psych Interview Invites

24 minutes ago, hereistohoping said:

Is it pretty typical to just not hear back from a program? Or will they all eventually send out rejection notices? 

Most programs won’t send an official rejection until after they’ve actually interviewed, extended offers, and then had those offers accepted. Super frustrating I know! Also I know there are programs that actually don’t send out invites until late January because their interview dates are so late...it’s an endless waiting game 

Does anyone know anything about Widener interviews for the Psy.D. program? It seems like they have interviews between mid January and the end of February. Has anyone here been invited to an interview?

1 hour ago, irisyuz21 said:

Both are typical. Some sent their rejection notice right away. I heard ppl say chances are very low if you don't heard anything after Jan15. I guess that might be the case for me this year...

Many schools don't send invites until late January, so don't lose hope yet! If you haven't heard by mid-late February that's when you can assume likely rejection

23 minutes ago, porkandbeans123 said:

can the person who had the Duke interview invite please message me their POI initials???

Yes, me too please! Congrats!

4 hours ago, checkingmyemail said:

Who's taking one for the team and e-mailing the program coordinator??? LOL. JUST REJECT ME ALREADY!

I did this in a moment of desperation, followed by feelings of intense immediate regret. ?

I emailed the general graduate admissions email address which was forwarded to the program coordinator. As of Jan 2nd, "No, interview invitations have not yet gone out.  The committee is still reviewing applications."

1 minute ago, Psychobabble12 said:

I did this in a moment of desperation, followed by feelings of intense immediate regret. ?

I emailed the general graduate admissions email address which was forwarded to the program coordinator. As of Jan 2nd, "No, interview invitations have not yet gone out.  The committee is still reviewing applications."

UGHHHHH But thank you for doing that 

36 minutes ago, Psychobabble12 said:

You are truly the MVP LOL!!!!!!!! TEAM WORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!!! ???❤️

1 hour ago, checkingmyemail said:

School: University of Colorado - Colorado Springs
Type: Clinical Psychology PhD
Type of invite: Prefer to not disclose method. This was for in-person invite.
Interview date(s): Feb 1st, 2019

???? Is this really happening MYGAW

Trauma or geropsychology?

@ People who have received interview invites. Out of curiosity,what kind of correspondences did you have with POIs before the interview invite? I sent an initial email to POIs in November, but haven't followed up again about my applications.  Getting anxious because I applied to 9 schools, and haven't heard anything back :( 

Just now, JKPsych said:

@ People who have received interview invites. Out of curiosity,what kind of correspondences did you have with POIs before the interview invite? I sent an initial email to POIs in November, but haven't followed up again about my applications.  Getting anxious because I applied to 9 schools, and haven't heard anything back :( 

I did the same. Email before applying and then applied and then just waited. They have your application so it doesn’t look great to keep following up when you don’t know where they are in the process! The waiting is awful I agree :( 

16 hours ago, hereistohoping said:

Is it pretty typical to just not hear back from a program? Or will they all eventually send out rejection notices? 

There is a chance you will just never hear anything (I have experienced this before) but many programs will send some sort of rejection via email or mail at some point after they have interviewed applicants, extended offers, and finalized their incoming class. So, that could mean rejections are likely to not be sent until after the April 15th decision date, or the Monday after the 15th if the 15th falls on a weekend. A clinical psych interviewee offered admission at any point usually has through April 15th to accept or reject the offer, this date is set by APA and CUDCP. An applicant who did not interview may also eventually just get an email that says to check your status in the application system, this will usually mean rejection. I applied to a program before and heard absolutely nothing from them, I was not invited to interview, and then out of the blue in June, I received a rejection in the mail.  Now, applicants that do interview tend to get their status within a few weeks of the interview (alternate, rejected etc.).

It is fairly typical for invitations to go out through late January as some programs will not interview until March (i.e., Washington State University's interview date is March 1 this year) so don't lose faith yet, there is still quite a bit of time! In the past, the latest I have received an invitation to interview is the first full week of February and I have a few friends currently in programs that have said the same. I would say if you don't hear anything by February 8th this year, that means you are no longer being considered for the program. I hope this was helpful! 

6 minutes ago, JKPsych said:

No email no correspondence, nothing. Three total invites / 13 apps

15 minutes ago, JKPsych said:

I reached out to 1-2 POI's at each of the 6 schools I applied to back in March/April. All responded encouragingly, but it's hard to say whether that tipped the scales in favor of getting an interview. One POI responded very encouragingly (indicating I was a good fit, and taking the time to send me a long email detailing ongoing projects, with language like "if you came to work with me") but I have not been invited to interview at that program, and at this point I most likely won't, since I believe their interview date is right around the corner.  For another program I was invited to interview at, I reached out to only one of the two POI's I indicated in my statement, and my invitation specifically listed the POI I did not reach out to beforehand...so I suppose there are a lot of factors that go into it.  My sense is that an initial email is generally a good idea, but following up after applications risks coming across as pushy or entitled. Just my opinion though!  

1 hour ago, JKPsych said:

For my invite to UNL I had brief email correspondence with my POI where I asked her about ongoing and expected research projects that she expected upcoming students to get involved in and gave an introduction about my research interests with my CV attached. I did hear back from her and she provided a lot of information, which was very nice of her (it made writing the SOP so much easier!). A day after I submitted my application, I followed up with her to thank her again for taking time to send me the information and that I had applied to work with her lab.  She responded good luck and that they would begin reviewing applications in January. 

I did have a phone call with her over this past weekend which was much more informal than I expected where she primed me for the weather in Nebraska, what the city was like, to answer any of my questions about the logistics of the interview weekend, and re-assured me that there will be limited correspondence between us until the interview weekend and not to become discouraged if I don't hear from her until the interview-- which I thought was very nice of her. 

Edited by presentfancies

2 hours ago, JKPsych said:

I only emailed 2 because it was not listed on their websites if they were taking students or not. I applied to 10 and have gotten 1 invite, from a POI I did not contact. I wouldn't worry until you start to see people posting about invitations from your schools, though. That's my strategy to keep my cool anyway. This week and next should be the most fruitful, as far as invitations go.

Hi, everyone! To people who’ve done preliminary interviews via video chat before (mine will NOT be with my POI if that matters): what do you recommend wearing? I’m not sure if I should wear a blazer and a blouse like I would for an in-person interview or something a little more relaxed like a cardigan and a nice blouse. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

13 minutes ago, SugarAndPsych said:

Hi, everyone! To people who’ve done preliminary interviews via video chat before (mine will NOT be with my POI if that matters): what do you recommend wearing? I’m not sure if I should wear a blazer and a blouse like I would for an in-person interview or something a little more relaxed like a cardigan and a nice blouse. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

I think if its a video interview, it's better to dress up than dress down. I would still were the blazer and blouse and pants to show that you're serious and professional. 

41 minutes ago, SugarAndPsych said:

Congratulations!  As @davidfreire20 said, it's better to dress up.  I will add that you should wear what makes you feel the "best you"; suit pants may not seem necessary for a video interview where the interviewer would only see you from the chest upward, but it's worthwhile if putting on the full outfit puts you in interview mode (or putting on something more comfortable if you perform better when you're relaxed).

On 1/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, aer621 said:

Does anyone know anything about Widener interviews for the Psy.D. program? It seems like they have interviews between mid January and the end of February. Has anyone here been invited to an interview?

I haven't heard anything yet, and I'm getting really nervous. I'm hoping that they are still considering applicants since there are later interview dates available.