Fall 2019 Clinical Psych Interview Invites

Hi everyone! First application cycle for me and looking for some perspective....Once schools start extending interview invitations to other candidates, how long should someone hold out hope before they realize it's just not happening? ? Thanks!

Edited by psychforvets

10 hours ago, JKPsych said:

@ People who have received interview invites. Out of curiosity,what kind of correspondences did you have with POIs before the interview invite? I sent an initial email to POIs in November, but haven't followed up again about my applications.  Getting anxious because I applied to 9 schools, and haven't heard anything back :( 

I met about half of the POI’s I applied to at the ABCT conference this past November in DC. I have received one interview so far from one school where two POI’s want to schedule preliminary phone interviews with me for next week. Cold emailing is very good but ultimately (I think) if you have really good stats across the board, it potentially comes down to who you know and who your LOR writers know 

School: University of Nebraska - Lincoln

Type: Clinical Psychology PhD

Date of invite: January 09

Type of invite: Email from POI with formal invitation from grad admissions to follow

Interview date(s): February 15-17

This is one of my top choice schools and my first interview invite!! So excited but also in disbelief. Feel free to DM for POI!

School: Florida International University

Date of invite: January 08

Type of invite: Personal email from POI 

Interview date(s): Offer for phone interview with two different POI's next week

This is my first interview invite for this year and my first ever application round (and hopefully last!) SO excited and grateful for this opportunity. I cant stop reading the email!!

Edited by psycash

This is the first round for me too, but I feel like it's too early to start feeling discouraged. Being worried is perfectly valid- but you have to take into account that if professors didn't take the full semester break off (and most do, as do administrative offices- I used to work in one) then they definitely haven't worked a five day work week in, what, three weeks? Even with interview dates right around the corner, I wouldn't be surprised if some invites are given even just a week notice (if that). Any SO many schools still haven't sent out any invites. I applied to ten programs and it looks like none of them have sent anything out yet.

9 hours ago, WhatLikeItsHard said:

This is the first round for me too, but I feel like it's too early to start feeling discouraged. Being worried is perfectly valid- but you have to take into account that if professors didn't take the full semester break off (and most do, as do administrative offices- I used to work in one) then they definitely haven't worked a five day work week in, what, three weeks? Even with interview dates right around the corner, I wouldn't be surprised if some invites are given even just a week notice (if that). Any SO many schools still haven't sent out any invites. I applied to ten programs and it looks like none of them have sent anything out yet.

FWIW, the school I am attending now (which was my top choice for a variety of reasons) sent out interview invites to people 10 days before the actual interview day, which was in February. This was a massive headache for everyone, especially people like me who had to travel halfway across the country. This year the faculty are theoretically going to send out invites about 3 weeks before, which still seems crazy even though I get how busy they are and how many applications we receive. 

To whoever posted on the results page today that they received an interview invite for University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) - I think you mean University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). UMB doesn't have a clinical psych program. I went to UMBC as an undergrad, so I know the similar names confuse A LOT of people. They're completely separate/unrelated schools though

P.S. - I apologize if this post comes across as condescending - just hoping to help & make sure you go to the right location for your interview (1000 Hilltop Circle; NOT downtown Baltimore)!

24 minutes ago, irisyuz21 said:

Anyone heard from SMU yet? They’re interview day is 1/25. Is it appropriate if I email POI to ask whether the invitation has been sent out? Had applied to 10 schools with 1 rejection. Nervous to death now. 

Do not e-mail your PI. May come off as inappropriate/impatient/pushy. If you really cannot wait any longer, a polite e-mail to the program coordinator regarding the status of all invites would be more appropriate.

6 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

Do not e-mail your PI. May come off as inappropriate/impatient/pushy. If you really cannot wait any longer, a polite e-mail to the program coordinator regarding the status of all invites would be more appropriate.

I know you are absolutely right. Guess I will just wait a little longer. Don’t wanna jeopardize any chances. Thanks!

Hi all ? here's what I've got so far... good luck to everyone!

School: Kent State  Type: PhD  |  Date of invite: 12/14/18  |  Type of invite: email from POI  |  Interview date(s): 2/1/19 (in-person)

School: GMU  |  Type: PhD  |  Date of invite: 12/21/18  |  Type of invite: mass email from program coordinator  |  Interview date(s): 1/25/19 (in-person)

School: Colorado State (counseling)  Type: PhD  |  Date of invite: mid-December  |  Type of invite: letter sent from program director  |  Interview date(s): 2/8/19 (in-person)

School: University of Maine  Type: PhD  |  Date of invite: 1/7/19  |  Type of invite: email from POI  |  Interview date(s): 2/11/19 (in-person)

Edited by KaitKat
accidently posted before adding all info

On 1/7/2019 at 6:23 PM, porkandbeans123 said:

can the person who had the Duke interview invite please message me their POI initials???

I would also love the POI info if possible! Thank you and congratulations!

School: University of Nebraska - Lincoln

Date of invite: January 09

Type of invite: Email from POI with formal invitation from grad admissions to follow

Interview date(s): February 15-17

Feel free to DM me for PI :) 

So I saw a post saying Rutgers will notify by the end of the month, has anyone heard anything from Adelphi, Stony Brook (cognitive science) or Queens College? 

I also applied to LIU but with their deadline being yesterday I don’t expect to hear anything for a while. 

9 minutes ago, AnxiouslyAwaitingDecisions said:

So I saw a post saying Rutgers will notify by the end of the month, has anyone heard anything from Adelphi, Stony Brook (cognitive science) or Queens College? 

I also applied to LIU but with their deadline being yesterday I don’t expect to hear anything for a while. 

Haven't heard specifically about Stony Brook (clinical, not cognitive, sorry), but I don't think they've sent out all their invites yet. I was late sending a part of my app in, and they reassured me not to stress. 

Edited by ihatedis