Favorite Rejection Quotes from the Results Page

NoChance

University Of Western Ontario Media Studies, PhD (F14) Rejected via Website on 1 Mar 2014   1 Mar 2014

• Smells funny. Oh well, several more to go.

Rejection has a smell. . . and it apparently. . . smells funny. 

This little exchange was a gem :

University Of South Dakota Audiology, Other (F14) Wait listed via E-mail on 28 Feb 2014  A 1 Mar 2014

Person 1: "Wait listed, and my stats are better than the person who was accepted and offered a partial tuition scholarship and LEND traineeship. Hmmm, very interesting."

Person 2: "That person with the "worst stats" could have better LOR's, experiences and/or SOP than you did. Applications are more than just statis.. Don't get bitter, get better."

Person 3: "Again to the bitter applicant wait-listed, your 3.0 on the AW writing isn't good enough to be considered for admission into some programs. And with that type of attitude I'm sure you LORs weren't that great either."

well, damn!

Edited by deciBELLE

As an English major, this speaks to my heart. Time to polish off my barista skills. 

University Of Tennessee Knoxville Poetry, MFA (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 16 Feb 2014  A 21 Feb 2014
  • Got a nice letter that said "due to the depressed job market for English graduates." Nice of them to remind you that not only have you been rejected, you also have no chance at jobs.

University Of South Dakota Audiology, Other (F14) Wait listed via E-mail on 28 Feb 2014  A 1 Mar 2014

Person 1: "Wait listed, and my stats are better than the person who was accepted and offered a partial tuition scholarship and LEND traineeship. Hmmm, very interesting."

Person 2: "That person with the "worst stats" could have better LOR's, experiences and/or SOP than you did. Applications are more than just statis.. Don't get bitter, get better."

Person 3: "Again to the bitter applicant wait-listed, your 3.0 on the AW writing isn't good enough to be considered for admission into some programs. And with that type of attitude I'm sure you LORs weren't that great either."

well, damn!

Someone needs to apply some ointment to that burn!

University Of South Dakota

Audiology, Other (F14)

Wait listed via E-mail on 28 Feb 2014 

A

1 Mar 2014

well, damn!

Wow. Really people...really??? I'm glad someone spoke up. Great point about the LORs...people assume they are always favorable, which is def not always the case.

We don't use it in Canada and we get along juuuuust fine. Down with standardized testing!

I'm so thankful I didn't have to do it! 

Edited by rj16

NOT a funny rejection, but one that is absolutely heartbreaking.  This is a student with excellent GRE scores and a killer GPA who wrote:

Whoever you are, just know that I wanted to reach through my screen and give you the biggest hug ever.  This process is a killer, but please remember that this school's rejection does not determine your worth!  

That statement may have sounded cliche or cheesy to the point where it needed nachos to go with it, but EVERYONE should remember it!  Just because you didn't fit a program's standards does not mean you're worthless.

Now, this person's statement could have been completely sarcastic.  If so, then I'm sorry for getting all sappy!

;_; You are such a nice person!!

Here's my post that is relevant to the topic:

Cornell University Philosophy, PhD (F13) Rejected via E-mail on 3 Mar 2014 A 3 Mar 2014
  • The rejection letter from Ted Sider was friendlier than some acceptance letters I've received.

Forum University Speech Pathology And Linguistics, PhD (F14) Rejected via Other on 4 Mar 2014 A 4 Mar 2014

• By "other" - a carrier pigeon brought me a note that said "use the discussion forum for discussions and use this board for admissions results". But I guess this repetative behavior qualifies as a form of speech pathology, so perhaps its part of the application process. And yes, I realize that this is a hypocritical mode of communication.

Are people trying to get posted here...?

Rensellear Polytechnic Institute Electrical Engineering, PhD (F14) Rejected via E-mail on 4 Mar 2014 I 4 Mar 2014

• "I am sorry that we will be unable to offer admission to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. We receive many applications for study in our graduate programs, so the competition for these slots is very intense." Shit Man!! You gotta be kidding me "on the match between the focus of faculty research and student interest and background. Rensselaer has chosen foci in areas as diverse as biotechnology, information technology, and interdisciplinary programs at the intersection of science and humanities, among others" Bullshit!!!! "Students admitted to study in our programs often have diverse backgrounds" WHAT the hell!! I am from a diverse background (Pakistan)

I can only imagine what will go through my mind when I start getting emails...

We don't use it in Canada and we get along juuuuust fine. Down with standardized testing!

Agreed. Although there are some Canadian programs that do require the GRE or GMAT. For example, some of the graduate programs is psychology at the University of Guelph require the GRE. I'm just glad none of the programs in my field need it!

Not really from the results page, but I was at an interview and overnight UCSD sent out rejections. (at like 2am, what???)

The next morning, about 4 or 5 of us just went around the table high-fiving and conratulating each other for our successful rejections :D

Not really from the results page, but I was at an interview and overnight UCSD sent out rejections. (at like 2am, what???)

The next morning, about 4 or 5 of us just went around the table high-fiving and conratulating each other for our successful rejections :D

I did my undergrad at UCSD and they always sent me emails from the university at bizarre times of the night.

Agreed. Although there are some Canadian programs that do require the GRE or GMAT. For example, some of the graduate programs is psychology at the University of Guelph require the GRE. I'm just glad none of the programs in my field need it!

All my US applicant friends are going insane over the GRE and I'm beyond relieved that none of my schools (all in Canada) required it for admission. Thank god.