PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

2 minutes ago, HealthyPotato said:

Has anyone heard from the Yale Social and Behavioral Sciences PhD program yet?

Also, has anyone heard from Drexel's Health Services Research and Policy program after interviews?

I haven't heard anything from Yale SBS, but I remember a few weeks ago someone posted that interviews would be going out later that week, and someone else (from a different department) said there was a recruitment day for all departments. So I'm expecting an R soon; could totally be wrong as this is all hearsay. ? 

8 minutes ago, HealthyPotato said:

Has anyone heard from the Yale Social and Behavioral Sciences PhD program yet?

Also, has anyone heard from Drexel's Health Services Research and Policy program after interviews?

I haven't heard from Drexel HSR after interviewing in late January! My POI told me that I should hear at some point February....or March if things get truly delayed. 

1 hour ago, PublicHealth545 said:

Has anyone received interviews or any other communications from JHU DrPH program? 

I haven't received any communication from Hopkins, but don't plan to for a while.  This is what's offered on the admission website:

Review of applications: December through February; interviews are conducted on an ad hoc basis--not receiving a request for an interview is not indicative of an admissions decision and vice versa.

Communication of offers: Early March

2 hours ago, PublicHealth545 said:

Has anyone received interviews or any other communications from JHU DrPH program? 

I also have not heard anything. There was one person on here a long while back that received an interview invite but as others have noted it doesn't seem to be standard. I have seen a couple of people from hopkins look at my linkedin as my settings allow me to see that. And of course now that they haven't looked in a couple weeks I'm fretting. This is worse than dating was!

16 minutes ago, Ajrw said:

I also have not heard anything. There was one person on here a long while back that received an interview invite but as others have noted it doesn't seem to be standard. I have seen a couple of people from hopkins look at my linkedin as my settings allow me to see that. And of course now that they haven't looked in a couple weeks I'm fretting. This is worse than dating was!

Yeah - I was the person who was interviewed for the JHU DrPH program back in January. It definitely does not seem to be the norm so I wouldn't read into it too much. One person from JHU looked at my LinkedIn a week ago but otherwise it's been radio silence since then. Completely agree that this is worse than dating was!! ?

Last communication with JHU was decisions would be sent out the first week of March. 

On 2/12/2021 at 5:06 PM, KryzFerr said:

I just checked Columbia's results page and, in general, i don't see a lot of activity right? Like across disciplines... 

Is the results page the "Applicant Portal" in the email we each got when Columbia got all our app materials & it was ready to review? Asking because I feel like there may be another results page I'm missing ?

1 minute ago, moosepup said:

Is the results page the "Applicant Portal" in the email we each got when Columbia got all our app materials & it was ready to review? Asking because I feel like there may be another results page I'm missing ?

I believe they're talking about the results page on grad cafe. You can search results by school or program :)

NYU update - They told us (approx 35) today at the NYU PhD Interview day event that we were the short-list for the program. Sharing the info in case others are waiting to hear from NYU and weren't at the interview day. I've really appreciated the updates on here, even if they weren't going the way I had hoped. Definitely prefer getting updates more in real time than the radio silence. Crossing all my fingers and toes for you all!!

Just now, moosepup said:

NYU update - They told us (approx 35) today at the NYU PhD Interview day event that we were the short-list for the program. Sharing the info in case others are waiting to hear from NYU and weren't at the interview day. I've really appreciated the updates on here, even if they weren't going the way I had hoped. Definitely prefer getting updates more in real time than the radio silence. Crossing all my fingers and toes for you all!!

Thank you for sharing this information! By chance, was the Biostats department present as well? I haven't seen much activity from NYU's Biostats PhD on the results section.

7 hours ago, moosepup said:

Thank you for sharing! Super appreciative of you doing so and of everyone else doing so on the forum. I do find it frustrating that schools do not prioritize timely notice of rejections. If there is already an existing and agreed upon short-list of more candidates than spots to account for those who are extended an offer and turn it down, there isn't really a reason to leave those who did not pass the first round of review in limbo. 

It's become increasingly clear that I will have to apply again in future cycles so any advice (not already stated previously) about re-applying is welcomed. I am interested in reaching out to schools for feedback (which I did not know possible until I read about it in this forum). It seems like previous posters who talked about this did interview at the school. Given that I was not invited to interview, would the schools even be able to provide feedback beyond a generic answer? Anyone with experience or opinions on this?

On 2/4/2021 at 3:43 AM, Worthy2021 said:

Hi Everyone,

I haven’t posted here and have been avoiding forums because it makes my anxiety worse about the waiting.  I wanted to share something I thought the other day and hope others find helpful during this waiting.   I realized no matter what, a rejection from a school won’t define me or undo any of the wonderful things/work I’ve done or any of us have done.   It’ll sting, it’ll be a disappointment, but it’ll be just fine in the end.  We’ll all continue to do good work, create change, and help people, especially those most in need.  

The important thing to remember during this waiting is, each of us applied to all these schools because we thought we are deserving, smart enough, and had a shot at admission.  An acceptance letter won’t re-affirm our worthiness and a rejection won’t diminish it.  Each and every one of us started off worthy.  I’m not suggesting admission into one of the “elite” (or any) schools wouldn’t be a privilege and incredible opportunity, but regardless of where we get in or whether we get into PhD/DrPH program at all, we’ll still be amazing public health advocates, researchers, and professionals, we’ll still make our mark in the world, and we’ll make the world a better place.  Because we are all passionate, smart, awesome people and that’s something an admission committee can’t decide for us…Just wanted to send some encouraging words of support to all! Stay strong and remember you’re already awesome! ?

That's probably the best things I've come across in a really long time. Much needed, as well.  I wish you luck in pursuing your passion. 

I take rejections to my heart, and acceptance as accidental luck. I know, I'm being hard on myself, and I'm sill underway working through this feeling. 

Hi Everyone! I really need some advice/guidance from you all, as I am thinking of re-applying next year. I had interviewed this year with Harvard PHS, but didn't get selected. Here are my stats:

1. International candidate - 3.5 years of work experience in the private health sector with a very well known Fortune 500 healthcare MNC. I was a research associate there too. 

2. I hold an MBA degree from my home country too. 

3. MPH from Harvard - 3.73 GPA (formally graduating this May) 

4. Was a graduate research assistant for 1.5 years in Health systems during my MPH 

Currently, I am interning with a public health foundation in my home country on health system reforms and health financing and trying to strengthen my knowledge in that field. 

Will a couple of publications help strengthen  my profile too? What more could I do? 

Looking forward to some tips from all! 

Edited by Pa2019
Forgot to mention a point.

12 hours ago, HP_2021 said:

Has anyone received unofficial acceptances from PIs and if so were they clearly unofficial acceptances or did you have to read into it...

I got a super vague email from the program director (Brown BSHS) that said they were in the process of finalizing their list of offers with the Graduate School. They asked to keep in touch with questions about the program, so I asked about what the final approval process entailed. Turns out, the Corporation had met that week to give info about budgets and they were still expecting to hear about financial details that would allow the committee to make final decisions. I got my "official" you are recommended for admission email this morning! Personally, I don't know if I would have preferred to just get the last email that spelled out the good news for me or to have that additional/vague update email... 

Just now, teabunny said:

I got a super vague email from the program director (Brown BSHS) that said they were in the process of finalizing their list of offers with the Graduate School. They asked to keep in touch with questions about the program, so I asked about what the final approval process entailed. Turns out, the Corporation had met that week to give info about budgets and they were still expecting to hear about financial details that would allow the committee to make final decisions. I got my "official" you are recommended for admission email this morning! Personally, I don't know if I would have preferred to just get the last email that spelled out the good news for me or to have that additional/vague update email... 

Congrats on the acceptance!

And glad to know others are getting super vague emails as well from various schools. 

21 hours ago, DrPH21 said:

Same here. Radio silence from GW DrPH.

GW said straight up in their email when they received our applications that they would send decisions in March, wo I didn't expect any correspondence. 

It's still an annoying wait though. But March is here in 12 days lol. So we'll be fine.